• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Roasting peppers - SW or anyone else

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
Seems like you (SW) said that you grow your own green chilies. We were told to put them on the BBQ til the skin bubbles then take them off and freeze them. They said not to skin them til you take them out of the freezer, but what about the seeds? Thanks in advance any advice :)

Nicky,
I roast them on the grill, the smoky flavor is really good. I Roast them until they are blackened, turning them to get most of the outside black. Put them in a paper bag and close it while they cool, this helps the skin lift away from the chile. I cut off the top, pull out the seeds, skin them and freeze them. I got some from a friend that did not have them peeled, just frozen, and they were a pain to get out and try to peel after being in the freezer. Peeling them is very easy so I have some on the grill while I am peeling ones that have cooled down. The smell of the chiles is so good. I have a recipe for Chile Rellenos that is soooo good :) :) :)

Post your recipe, please :) Mike makes them in the dutch oven and they are everyone's favorite. That's why we tried growing them this year. We grew Ancho's, the man at the greenhouse suggested them. What kind do you grow?

French Bread crumb Chile Rellenos

8-10 long green chiles
4cups stale French bread
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
1/4 pound Longhorn or Jack cheese cut into sticks
1/4 cup melted butter
2 eggs
1 TBSP water
1/2 cup flour

Blister and char chiles, remove skins and seeds leaving the chile intact.
Put bread pieces into blender or processor and process until fairly fine.
Beat eggs with the water in a bowl large enough to fit the chiles in. Place the flour on a piece of wax paper. Mix the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and place on another piece of wax paper. Grease a jelly roll pan. Place a stick of cheese inside each chile, dust with flour, dip into the egg wash and put the chile into the bread crumbs, pressing the bread crumbs all over the chile. Put the chiles into the jelly roll pan. When all of the chiles are into the pan, drizzle them with the melted butter. Bake them in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes until they are golden and the cheese is melted. You can also saute these chiles in hot oil but baking them is easier and less messy.

We grow Anahiem, Big Jim and Marconi chiles. The Big Jims can be too hot for some people, same with some Anahiems, the Marconi are more like an Ancho, milder, and they get bigger so they are easier to stuff with cheese. My son and I could eat these all the time, they are good. Hope I grew enough chiles to get me through the winter :!:

Latest posts