• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rodeo

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the real jake said:
Back on the topic of rodeo, last week I was at a rope and drag branding of fall calves. The help included a current top ranked saddle bronc rider who has moved here recently, a local rancher who I think was a college bareback champion rider in his day, and a few of us other local guys who tried to stay out of the way. :wink: :lol: No one ever got in a hurry or tense about a thing, and we took time for the two guys to drag calves on 4 3yr. old colts for the first time. Considering that we used Nord Forks, the colts worked very well. It was a fun day to get together and do something we all enjoyed doing.

One reason I myself have shied away from participating in rodeo is that the pace of the events isn't always the best for a ranch horse to keep his mind in. Take team penning for example. It may be fun (don't know I've never done it), but it is exactly the wrong way to handle horses and cattle. If someone rode like that on this ranch it would raise the hair up on the back of my neck. :!: Only as a last resort would it be ok. Maybe I am a prude, but I like it that way. :wink:

I hear you Jake about handleing cattle on the ranch like they do team penning but then Do you put a flank strap on a colt when you try to break it, Do you ride your herd bulls and at a branding do you run your calves and rope them around the neck? We used a buch of dry cows for team penning the first summer of BSE when we had no markets open. We had fun and didn't hurt any cows. had some kids thatlive close to town and had horse came in and they had a blast and we did work the and tried some cutting. Sure team pemming isn't how a "RANCHER" would work his cows BUT.

Big Muddy rancher said:
the real jake said:
Back on the topic of rodeo, last week I was at a rope and drag branding of fall calves. The help included a current top ranked saddle bronc rider who has moved here recently, a local rancher who I think was a college bareback champion rider in his day, and a few of us other local guys who tried to stay out of the way. :wink: :lol: No one ever got in a hurry or tense about a thing, and we took time for the two guys to drag calves on 4 3yr. old colts for the first time. Considering that we used Nord Forks, the colts worked very well. It was a fun day to get together and do something we all enjoyed doing.

One reason I myself have shied away from participating in rodeo is that the pace of the events isn't always the best for a ranch horse to keep his mind in. Take team penning for example. It may be fun (don't know I've never done it), but it is exactly the wrong way to handle horses and cattle. If someone rode like that on this ranch it would raise the hair up on the back of my neck. :!: Only as a last resort would it be ok. Maybe I am a prude, but I like it that way. :wink:

I hear you Jake about handleing cattle on the ranch like they do team penning but then Do you put a flank strap on a colt when you try to break it, Do you ride your herd bulls and at a branding do you run your calves and rope them around the neck? .

As for roping the calves around the neck at branding, we do! :lol:

I think that one of the neatest things about the rodeo hands from this area, is the fact that quite a few of them are pretty good hands on a ranch. Most are ranch raised kids and have learned how to properly work cattle, or at least, what is normal for the area they grew up in.

I was at the circut finals yesterday with a feller who neighbors with a couple of the saddle bronc riders. He mentioned that the one just hates horse that want to buck, on the ranch. I thought that was ionteresting. At a rodeo he wants a bad one so he can win and at home he does'nt want one that might buck. If I could ride like them fellers, I wouldn't care! :lol:

Jinglebob said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
the real jake said:

I hear you Jake about handleing cattle on the ranch like they do team penning but then Do you put a flank strap on a colt when you try to break it, Do you ride your herd bulls and at a branding do you run your calves and rope them around the neck? .

I think that one of the neatest things about the rodeo hands from this area, is the fact that quite a few of them are pretty good hands on a ranch. Most are ranch raised kids and have learned how to properly work cattle, or at least, what is normal for the area they grew up in.

I was at the circut finals yesterday with a feller who neighbors with a couple of the saddle bronc riders. He mentioned that the one just hates horse that want to buck, on the ranch. I thought that was ionteresting. At a rodeo he wants a bad one so he can win and at home he does'nt want one that might buck. If I could ride like them fellers, I wouldn't care! :lol:

Most saddle bronc riders can't ride a ranch horse, they will tell you that up front too. Whole different way of riding. How can you control the calf by roping around the neck, looks like an accident waiting to happen in the branding corral. I have seen more wrecks with a calf windmilling around the end of the rope.

On big calves we rope a single then dally short and throw a head lop on them-then you just take them out of pen real slow and tail them down outside the pen-you might find this hard to believe but singles are hard to rope on purpose lol.

You must have the wrong rope NR, a bunch of these guys roping for us to brand kept complaining about bringing the wrong rope, got the one for singles, not the one for doubles :oops: We have some neighbors that will not let you bring a single out of the pen. Couple of years ago we were at a branding and one of the guys on the ground told this one roper that next time he brings a single out of the pen he would get his rope cut, just joking, but next calf the roper brought out was a single. The serated knife came out, the calf scrambled into the ground crew and a 30 footer was then two 15's. We were laughing so hard, you should of seen the look on the ropers face, he did not know what to do, he thought it was a joke cause we are always screwing around with some of these guys and now he had to get off and work the ground. His only comment was "I didn't like that rope anyway" :lol: :lol:

rancher said:
Jinglebob said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Most saddle bronc riders can't ride a ranch horse, they will tell you that up front too. Whole different way of riding. How can you control the calf by roping around the neck, looks like an accident waiting to happen in the branding corral. I have seen more wrecks with a calf windmilling around the end of the rope.

When we rope them by the neck, it isn't like at a rodeo. Soft loops and skill and usually a couple other ropers blocking and getting the heel shot, or the calf is slowly lead towards the fire and just before you get there you rope the hind feet. The calf is stretched out and the rope on the neck is transfered to the front feet and the calf is held between the horses.

We do this in a fairly big pen, but we have done it in a smaller pen.
Slow and easy is the best way and you sure don't want to get the cattle stirred up. :lol:

Helped do about 800 head this year and never had one wreck. We don't care for those who try to rope as if they were at a team roping, but we have quite a few who are damn good team ropers, but they know that there is a difference, just as the bronk riders treat the colts different than if they were coming out of a chute on one.

Incidentley sw, on gumbo ground, singles are way easier on the calf than doubles and getting their hair drug off from their chests. I sure do like to rope where there is gumbo! :shock: :lol:

You guys just proved my point . Rodeo does not emulate ranch work so why are you so hard on people that enjoy team penning but know how to handle cattle on the ranch. It is a sport.

Sorry I don't agree with you BMR, but I still maintain that a lot of rodeo events do not emulate how you should do things on the ranch. Like rancher said, the style of ranching or rodeo fits how the job is to be done. I don't have anything against anyone that wants to get on their horse and chase cattle like a wild man, but I just personally don't want to do it that way if I have another choice. I am not trying to be funny here, but I just don't think it is the best for the horse or the cattle. A well trained horse probably can be brought back down from that with no problems, but it seems like around here I am always trying to get a horse to the level that I want them, instead of the other way around. I just picked team penning out of the sky for no particuar reason, and it really isn't a true rodeo event anyway.

I probably am just digging myself into a further grave, but another pet peeve of mine is rodeo'ers who don't have time to ranch horseback like they should, as they are always in the arena or in a hurry to get to the next rodeo. :mad:

Let the bullets fly. :!:

Since I tend to agree with you Jake, I will dig a hole right beside you.

Today's rodeo cowboys aren't cowboys at all, but athletes. Most of 'em wouldn't know what to do with or on a ranch. Now, not all, but the younger ones coming up are athletes. That is not to take anything away from them, but rodeo isn't the same as it once was.

Remember when cowboys had to work both chutes to be considered for All-Around Cowboy? That made it really interesting.

I'm sure with you Jake.I won't go to ranch rodeos or team pennings.I've said many times if I had help that tried to work cattle that way I'd run them off the place .Of course it is a sport and some enjoy it.A way to unwind I guess.It seems all sports that that have their background from the ranch get screwed up with all kinds of rules and lose touch with reality.Now my favorite horse can put a pig up a tree but he couldn't do a thing in a cutting horse contest.If an old cow turns back on him a couple of times he'll jump in and grab her by the back and set back.When she pulls away his teeth will pop like a rifle shot From then on that old girl is ready to go any where you wish.On a slow walk is the way I like it.

I like to go watch the saddle bronc riding,and the rest is just fluff. I enjoy the caliber and ability of the horses and the cowboys, but around here, the ones who rodeo are still pretty good hands and some are real good hands.

Juan, if you like to see slow and easy, go to a ranch roping. At least around here. I don't know about those fellers over in Wyop and Mont.

It's all judged on high point loops and skill and grace. No rough stuff or your flagged out.

There are always some who go at anything too hard, but there are many who go slow and easy and throw some tremendous loops and work the cattle and their horses quietly and with respect and reserve.

A lot of the Rodeo Cowboys around here come off the ranch. The Eugerin's (I spelled that wrong) from Jordan Valley are some of the most talented guys i have ever seen with a rope. Qualify for the PRCA Finals or win the Jordan Valley Big loop, and they come from ranch Country. i kno a calf roper who runs a feedlot and lots of ranch guys that Rodeo. There's also plenty that don't. I find the ones from ranch Families tend to compete more on the circuit level, unless dad worked them too hard, then they travel tons, LOL,

PPRM

Mrs. Soapweed and I have participated in quite a few team pennings through the years. We have even managed to each win three belt buckles while doing it, and this has been done pretty much using the same gentle cattle working methods we use at home. Some of the "real" rodeo hands downplay team penning by saying, "it's all in the luck of the draw on what cattle you get." Well, it is, but no more so than in the "real" rodeo events. Luck tends to be what you make of it.

A few years ago, I furnished thirty-six cows and thirty-six calves for a ranch rodeo. Because of furnishing the cattle, I got to "make up the rules" for the rodeo. The first event was team penning, but it had one wrinkle to it that I've not seen before or since. It was "pair penning" which meant that each of the twelve teams had to sort out the three cows with the proper number, and also the three calves that belonged to those cows. The cows and calves were each double tagged with easy-to-read numbers, so finding the right critters was easy. Getting them sorted and penned was the hard part. Have to brag a bit, but our team won that event--maybe because we've had more practice :wink:--but we didn't win the most points to win the rodeo.

The next event was the calf branding. Only one horse and one rope were used. All three members of each team had to each catch a calf.

The third and final event was wild cow milking. I never could see pedestrians getting mauled and stomped on to milk a darned old cow, as it might be "raunchy" but is not a bit "ranchy". Once again I made up my own rules. It was a head and heel deal, with the third person doing the milking and running the bottle to the judge. I think a cow milking of this nature is just as fun for the crowd to watch, better shows off good equine abilities, and is darned sure more realistic and user friendly to the cow-people participants.

We had another fun event separate from the ranch rodeo compiling of points. It was called "wild cow barrel racing". A two person team had to work a cow through a cloverleaf barrel race pattern. Mrs. Soapweed and I lucked out and won that event, too. Anyway, it was a pretty fun rodeo, and would have been better yet had the temperature not been on the wrong side of a hundred degrees.

That sounded like real fun, Soapweed, especially the milking one!!
Some of the best games are where you make up or add to the rules.
We've seen many a game elevated to hilarious with added rules the manufacturer never dreamed of.

Latest posts