• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ron Paul: Secession Is OK

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
The "Libertarian" view on secession. LOL I have agreed with Paul on a few things and this is another.

Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) said Monday that secession was a "deeply American principle," amid a growing number of people petitioning the White House to let their states secede from the U.S.
"Secession is a deeply American principle. This country was born through secession. Some felt it was treasonous to secede from England, but those 'traitors' became our country's greatest patriots," the former presidential candidate wrote in a post on his House website. "There is nothing treasonous or unpatriotic about wanting a federal government that is more responsive to the people it represents."

(Also on POLITICO: 10 facts about secession from U.S.)
He continued: "If the possibility of secession is completely off the table there is nothing to stop the federal government from continuing to encroach on our liberties and no recourse for those who are sick and tired of it."
Since President Barack Obama was reelected earlier this month, a flurry of secession petitions from states were created — most notably from Texas, which with more than 115,000 signatures far exceeds the 25,000 signatures needed for an official White House response. Critics have said it's disgruntled voters upset that former GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney lost.
Paul wrote that secession must still be an option to be used as leverage to make sure the government doesn't "encroach" on Americans' liberties.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/84058.html#ixzz2CjlfgVCh

Its one issue I'll heartily disagree with Dr.Paul on....We already lost 750,000 individuals in a war to keep the country united- and I don't think those deaths should have been in vain...

Oldtimer said:
Its one issue I'll heartily disagree with Dr.Paul on....We already lost 750,000 individuals in a war to keep the country united- and I don't think those deaths should have been in vain...

It is not possible to disagree with Paul's statement. Unless it's a liar like yourself. Secession was what founded this country.

Oh, I see. You agree with the first secession, but not the second one. :lol:

You're thinking is going in circles again, like a dog chasing his tail.

These petions are just a gimmic, something to draw attention. Look way back before the civil war. South carolina threatened to withdraw from the Union for 42 years over a tariff imposed in part to punish England for the war of 1812, and partly to help our own industry to get started.

The political talkers of those days finally got the people of the south to believe the north was out to abolish slavery and to bankrupt the plantation owner and destroy all of the south. Only about 7% of the people of the south were plantation owners, and they were not really rich. When Lincoln got elected, it would not have really been a turning point, but these political talkers made it one.

Our two party system still works, sort of anyway. There is more then one way to progress, we just have to sort it all out. I have watched thirteen presidents, We made some progress under each of them.

Clarence, at one point, cotton made up 80% of all U.S. exports. To England & France mostly.

High Tariffs imposed on that cotton, and high duties on imports were not economically feasible to Southerners.

The North was forcing the South to buy inferior and more expensive goods from the new manufacturing entities in the North.

The South felt as though they should have been able to trade with who they wanted to. In a nutshell, it was THEIR cotton.

Oldtimer said:

Of course the leftwingers don't want secession. If that were to happen they couldn't bleed the heart of America to feed the progressive leftwing agenda.

Mike said:
Clarence, at one point, cotton made up 80% of all U.S. exports. To England & France mostly.

High Tariffs imposed on that cotton, and high duties on imports were not economically feasible to Southerners.

The North was forcing the South to buy inferior and more expensive goods from the new manufacturing entities in the North.

The South felt as though they should have been able to trade with who they wanted to. In a nutshell, it was THEIR cotton.

Mike I'm not up on all this. Ws the north forcing the south to sell their cotton to northern buyers? did they dictate price or was it negotiated. What products, whether good or inferior was the north forcing the south to purchse from northern manufacturers?? It's my understanding that cotton was about all the south did have to export so most everything else would have to be imported from somewhere. Just wondering.

Oldtimer said:

OT I'm sure even you have a point beyond which you simply will not be pushed and that's how many other Americans are already feeling..... like by God it just isn't worth it anymore............Maybe you haven't reached it yet.

Clarencen wrote : I have watched thirteen presidents, We made some progress under each of them.

Please name for me ANY progress we have made under the lying Snake Ass currently in the
Whitehouse. :???:

gmacbeef said:
Clarencen wrote : I have watched thirteen presidents, We made some progress under each of them.

Please name for me ANY progress we have made under the lying Snake Ass currently in the
Whitehouse. :???:

The national debt has "progressed" to over 16 trillion dollars and the number of unemployed has progressed to well over 20 million.

I guess I forgot that kind of progress. along with higher numbers on food stamps, disability,Welfare, more people in poverty & a much more divided nation. :(

Latest posts