• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rope honda

Help Support Ranchers.net:

skeeter

Reaction score
I'm getting a new rope for brandings this spring and have always had a regular honda tied into it. I'm thinking of getting a Buck Brannamon or Great Basin metal honda. Does anyone use any one of these on here??

...tried metal....went back to tied hondo............metal was hard/harsh on calve's legs............

When ya rope like I do, sometimes your in high gear, in rough country with limbs and tall brush it's easy to get your loop back in the face. Those metal hondos hurt and when your eyes are all watered up it's tough to dab a loop on a calf. I'll stick with a regular hondo! :wink:

it's easy to get your loop back in the face. Those metal hondos hurt

...and that too..........wasn't goin to admit it..........mine generally is a result of poor ropin abilities :wink: :lol:

...depends on who ya ask :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol:...but thanks anyhow :)

I use a 65 foot yellow 5/16 poly with a montana metal honda,and i like the combo.The metal honda gives a little more weight and i like the way it runs a little quicker on the rope.Never had a problem with getting hit in the head with it,sounds like operator error!? :lol: :eek: Also better to use in wet conditions,my rawhide honda got tweaked after using it after rainy conditions.

I use a varity of metal hondas, rawhide, metal and tied. I Like roping with the rawhide but not when its wet out. I usually use a metal honda including the great basin type. I like the rawhide and metal hondas because you can feed the rope through easier. The Rawhide and metal hondas are easier to get off a high hock. I haven't seen where the hondas were anymore harsh than the tied hondas.

i have tried every kind of metal honda i have found and have made some my self and as far as balance and feel i liked them and i did not find that they were hard on stock
however i have yet to find one that doesn't eat you rope behind the honda
i put some tape on my rope under the back of the honda and that helps me get though a branding or two

but i like the rawhide hondas and that's about all i use any more as getting them wet is not much of an issue here as it never seems to rain any more
until later
jerry

but i like the rawhide hondas and that's about all i use any more as getting them wet is not much of an issue here as it never seems to rain any more

I've been using them too, and found if I put some boot polish on them the wet weather don't affect them much..........also think my loop feeds a little quicker too (or atleast it seems like it) :wink: :lol:

Good friend of mine while branding just had his come back and break his jaw and take out a hand full of teeth. Seasoned roper, freak accident and says he would never use one again.

Latest posts