• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

RSL inspired me

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy

Reaction score
to try some bunch grazing this fall/winter, finally found a dump rake complete with operators

getting started

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

desired effect

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

Taking a Break

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Moving Along

IMG_0305.jpg

Downtown Cowtown in the Background

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

What We Wanted

IMG_0328.jpg

Last Swath

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

I hope to get the feild cross fenced in order to meter out the bunches

That's fantastic, and the tractors are even better than the JD.
I bet that close to Calgary you could probably charge admission, pay each team $100 an hour and take home some extra cash. Pretty neat. I hope it works for you. We think we are going to wean calves onto the bunches here in a couple of weeks. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

bverellen said:
Very nice!!

How many acres did you bunch like that and how long did it take to do?

bart. †

they bunched about 55 acres in 2 1/2/ to 3 hrs, less time than it took me to get the pictures posted :!: :lol: :lol:

Bet those teamsters had a great day. :D or should I say "Hay day" :lol: :lol:

Is that the same power line as in Per's pictures?

When you said RSL inspired you I thought maybe you were going to have 3 little kids to have fun checking out beaver slides and such.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Bet those teamsters had a great day. :D or should I say "Hay day" :lol: :lol:

Is that the same power line as in Per's pictures?

When you said RSL inspired you I thought maybe you were going to have 3 little kids to have fun checking out beaver slides and such.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

the teamsters did have a great day, they say it's hard to find something useful to do with the teams other than going for a wagon ride.

my power line goes to a substation 3 miles east of us, Per's power line leaves that substation and goes straight south and crosses the river and continues on through Per's

our kids are 20+ years older than RSL's, had to get one of them to help me get the pic's posted :wink:

Had a ranching buddy stop in the other day and we were just discussing the economics of new vs old haying methods. I asked him if he wanted to start a couple teams for me this winter. He said that when they switched from horses and an overshot to square bales-labour went down in number of men but haying took longer and feeding in winter was slower yet. they cabled the stacks onto big sleighs. We are thinking of a bunch of us each bringing a team or two and a mower etc and keeping track of expenses etc see if the old way might just surprise some people in regards to economics also. Food for thought if nothing else. If you visit RSL and his Dad and aren't inspired your lobotomy was a great success. Both knowledgeable and enthusiastic stockmen.

Just a question. With all the wind you can get down there, do you think you will have trouble with the stacks blowing around?

aspen said:
Just a question. With all the wind you can get down there, do you think you will have trouble with the stacks blowing around?

i think once that they settle down a bit they will be fine. the idea is if we get snow like we've had the last few years the cattle should be able to find the piles better. if we get a strong wind i hope its associated with a CHINOOK :lol: this is all an experiment, only next spring will tell if i'm really smart or really dumb :lol:

hayguy said:
aspen said:

i think once that they settle down a bit they will be fine. the idea is if we get snow like we've had the last few years the cattle should be able to find the piles better. if we get a strong wind i hope its associated with a CHINOOK :lol: this is all an experiment, only next spring will tell if i'm really smart or really dumb :lol:

Well with all the predictions for southern Alberta and northern Montana to have a winter mirrored something like last year- for both above normal snow amounts and below normal temperatures- you probably stand a good chance of getting your idea brought to fruition...

I'm just a hoping we don't get another record breaking winter like last year down here..

Good pictures hayguy!!!

hayguy said:
aspen said:

We worried about the same thing with our piles this year as they are pretty open. after a few 90 mph SE winds and no moving, we quit worrying.

RSL said:
hayguy said:
aspen said:

We worried about the same thing with our piles this year as they are pretty open. after a few 90 mph SE winds and no moving, we quit worrying.

after today's 130+ klik winds i am happy to say that my hay bunches are still intact, amazing

130km+ is a test. We have put a small group of replacement heifer calves on bunches this week and they love them. Am hoping the feed tests come back today as I think the bunches look better than our baled hay.

Latest posts