• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

runt calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rustynail

Reaction score
ever have a runt calf? :???:

she is six months old and still don't weight 175 pounds. birth weight was about 65 pounds. mama is a first time heifer and was ai to a very popular bull, wyoming wind. these are charolais cattle and she should be weighing in around 700 pounds by now. think she will grow big enough to have a calf? or is she hamburger meat!!

G3

rustynail said:

she is six months old and still don't weight 175 pounds. birth weight was about 65 pounds. mama is a first time heifer and was ai to a very popular bull, wyoming wind. these are charolais cattle and she should be weighing in around 700 pounds by now. think she will grow big enough to have a calf? or is she hamburger meat!!

G3

I would take it to the salebarn and get rid of it...

I don't know Rusty. Those Miniherefords sold for big money once apon a time :shock: I could imagine hanging on to it as a novelty but I doubt it I would... Would never imagine trying to get her bred... What would you use to breed her? :shock:

I have a neighbor who would probably buy the calf - - - she is a vet that likes miniture cattle - - - she makes pets of them and has about twenty - - PM me if you want to get in contact with her.

I would not take the calf to a salebarn as that would not be right - - - would you like to purchase something like that??? It's OK if you know the history going in but they might bid on the calf thinking it is just young.

We had one like that last year and after weaning he went on feed and weighs about 750lbs now. He gained good after weaning after he went on good feed.
That being said if the calf isn't healthy just put it down.

aint nuttin rong wif this here kaf, ceptin shes jus a littlin! healthy as can be as far as i can tell. got her up in a corral with some others weaning them, good hay free choice, salt, clean water, and feed every evening. all of them are gaining weight and growing. shes getting a belly on her but not getting any bigger. nice and fat not wormy looking. no need to put her down.

rustynail said:

G3
what about moma thats the one i would be worried about is she milking ?

she milked good, had a good tight bag on her. 1200 pound first time heifer. calf was born in october and now i have several up in a corral to wean them. shes just a little calf.

Latest posts