• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rye and Triticale?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

eatbeef

Reaction score
Anybody use it for spring grazing? Pros and Cons? Had a vet say that cows dont cycle very well on it because of some toxin or to much protein or something, kinda worried me because i was going to kick my replacements out on some.

Might want to set out some straw or older hay bales for dry matter for the cows.Keep them from blowing the green right through them. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Your vet may be referring to ergot (in the seed heads), but fall rye or triticale are fantastic if you can stay ahead of them with your cows to keep them vegetative. Fantastic productivity and fill a huge early grazing void. If for nothing else than the fact that they let your regular grass get off to a better start they are fantastic.
We seed fall rye with our swath grazing. Cows graze swaths in the winter and then the field turns green in very early spring. Works great...

Cows will breed fine on rye and triticale. Have seen cows A.I. bred on both and conception was just fine.

Rye is an important part of my feed rotation. Can't beat the early grazing and we have never had a conception problem using it. Mag deficiency will show up with grass tetany symptoms. Easily avoided with high mag mineral and can be treated with miraculous results.

i've been grazing pairs on rye in late spring/early summer for the last few years with no problems. last fall i decided to try a rye/triticale/willow creek winter wheat mix for this spring. the only thing i didn't like about the rye is that as soon as it starts to head out, the cows wouldn't touch it.

how high do you let the rye get before you start to graze it? i know youv'e got to keep it down to keep it vegative, if it start's to get away on you can you clip it mechanicaly?

This is my first year with rye and started grazing a 6 inches tall. If i would have gotten it planted earlier i could have had fall grazing. Usually plant triticale but couldnt find any last fall. Out of wheat, triticale and rye, rye is the first to mature from what i have read. And if it gets away i think you are kindo SOL, and could just wait until in the dough stage and hay it.

eatbeef said:
This is my first year with rye and started grazing a 6 inches tall. If i would have gotten it planted earlier i could have had fall grazing. Usually plant triticale but couldnt find any last fall. Out of wheat, triticale and rye, rye is the first to mature from what i have read. And if it gets away i think you are kindo SOL, and could just wait until in the dough stage and hay it.

Maybe even hay it earlier. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:
eatbeef said:

I like straight rye seeded early enough for some late fall grazing, then spring grazing and when it wants to bolt don't fight it, pull the cows and take off a crop. Nothing wrong with a 20 - 70 bus crop that if you are willing to sit on it for a few years can be sold north of $7 bus.

per said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
eatbeef said:

I like straight rye seeded early enough for some late fall grazing, then spring grazing and when it wants to bolt don't fight it, pull the cows and take off a crop. Nothing wrong with a 20 - 70 bus crop that if you are willing to sit on it for a few years can be sold north of $7 bus.

Not everybody has a MF Super 92 and a wife that knows how to run it. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
per said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Not everybody has a MF Super 92 and a wife that knows how to run it. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG. he has a SUPER 92, one could only dream of a combine that cool :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :!: (in 1962) :lol: :lol: go's with his 55

hayguy said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
per said:

OMG. he has a SUPER 92, one could only dream of a combine that cool :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :!: (in 1962) :lol: :lol: go's with his 55
Cockshutt 428 to go with my new MM U.

I was always told around our outfit that rye is a plague. My Grandpa planted it in the 50's or 60's and had a terrible time getting rid or it and it just took things over.

Justin- When you are done grazing it, do you hay it for feed or just spray and kill it. Does it make very good feed, do you need to grind it, just curious.

ps- tired of the wind yet?

Howdy1 said:
Justin- When you are done grazing it, do you hay it for feed or just spray and kill it. Does it make very good feed, do you need to grind it, just curious.

ps- tired of the wind yet?

a couple years ago i hayed it after the cows were done with it. i can't say for sure how it did ton/acre, but i was quite impressed with the amount of bales, even after grazing it so hard. as far as it making good feed...i can't say for sure because all the bales are still in the stack. i was about a week late getting it cut down, and when it starts to turn it turns fast. my plans where to grind it with some grass hay this winter but with the open winter we had i never fed any hay. last summer the big white combine took care of anything the cows left behind.

as for the wind...it seems the only time it stops is when it's changing directions. :mad: :? :wink:

Latest posts