• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rye for hay

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bar M

Reaction score
I have been throwing around the idea of planting rye this fall for an early hay crop next year. Then after taking the hay off spraying it down and putting in millet or sorghum.

Any thought good or bad would be appreciated.

The way we do it here is to add a legume to the rye/ryegrass to provide some nitrogen for the next crop.

Soil Nitrogen=Plant Protein

My neighbor does it every year. Last year they baled it a bit green. The hay caramelized, and the cows love it. I small square baled about 400 the last 2 years. Sold it both years, for as much as I am getting out of good grass hay. :roll: As everyone says, you have to cut it early, and it will shoot heads over night. We have let it head out, barely, both years.

I am feeding a few of my little bales, that had broken strings, to my fats, and they seem to like it.

That's what I am doing this year. I just got my oats put up and going in with pearl millet then following that with rye/ turnip mix for grazing. If there is any left I might hay it or spray and then followup with corn next year.

Bar M said:
so what I am gathering is, to cut it like sorghum right before it heads out to get the most feed value out of it.

Your biggest problems will be with the awns. Like I said, Tom has been letting his head out, but cuts it before it pollinates, or tries to. He is reliant on a custom hay outfit, and it seems they never show up when he wants them to. He is running everything through a D-W processor. My little squares, just got dumped in the bale ring. You will gain protein and maybe tonnage if you wait til soft dough stage, but run the risk of eyes and lump jaws with the awns. I would really like to see it cut while the head is in the boot.

Latest posts