• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sad day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
Kind of a sad day around here. I sent my best bud of 17 years out to Colorado, to finish out his last days. We have been through lots of hard times, fun times, sad, and angry times, and he has only told me NO once. We spent some time Saturday, dragging calves, just for old times sake, and he did awesome as always. He has always understood when I told him women were mean and nasty, then when they MIGHT be ok, and finally when I told him they were what complemented my life. You wouldn't think that a horse would have this much impact on one person, but SMOKE sure did, and does.

nickandsmoke.jpg

Sorry you have to say goodbye to your special horse named Smoke. With you wearing those Hollywood sunglasses, a good caption for the photo could be "Smoke and Mirrors." :wink:

Faster horses said:
I appreciate you giving your good horse a retirement, but what's in Colorado?

I sent him out to Lisa's dad. Jack wants to be a "cowboy" so bad, and lost a horse last spring. He will baby Smoke, and ride him some. It was getting harder to keep weight on him, but there are times when he still thinks he is a colt. I hadn't ridden him maybe 10 times in the last 4 years, but....

LazyWP said:
Faster horses said:

I sent him out to Lisa's dad. Jack wants to be a "cowboy" so bad, and lost a horse last spring. He will baby Smoke, and ride him some. It was getting harder to keep weight on him, but there are times when he still thinks he is a colt. I hadn't ridden him maybe 10 times in the last 4 years, but....

I bet FH could recommend a good feed for old Smoke to help keep his weight up and extend his life many happy years. :)

Big Muddy rancher said:
LazyWP said:
Faster horses said:

I bet FH could recommend a good feed for old Smoke to help keep his weight up and extend his life many happy years. :)

You betcha!! And for gosh sakes, have his teeth checked. 17 isn't all that old. I'm betting his weight problem at that age is bad teeth. Equine dentistry
has done miracles for horses.

Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
LazyWP said:

You betcha!! And for gosh sakes, have his teeth checked. 17 isn't all that old. I'm betting his weight problem at that age is bad teeth. Equine dentistry

He is 20, I got him as a 3 year old. Have had his teeth checked on a regular basis. As a young horse, up until he was 7, he got the snot used out of him, and everyone told me at the time, if he made it to 15 they would be surprised. Well, here he is at 20, and he still enjoys chasing cows about as much as he used to, just not for near as long.

Funny thing is when Nick and I first met, I had always wanted a grey horse. So it was a great package deal! :) I'll miss the old booger too, he tolerated me pretty well.. But at least I still have my honey! :D

Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
LazyWP said:

FWIW, we've had really luck helping along some hard-keeping old mares by supplementing with Nutrena Empower (which is a high fat caloric supplement). Tons of Senior Feed options out there, including some made by Nutrena, that would probaly match well with it...

I brought my horses back from a pasture and they looked bad so I got some of the empower...opened it up and half of it was clumped together and moldy...
yeah a waste of $30 having to wait till tomorrow for the feed rep to be at the feed store to see if I can get a refund or exchange.....

MsSage said:
I brought my horses back from a pasture and they looked bad so I got some of the empower...opened it up and half of it was clumped together and moldy...
yeah a waste of $30 having to wait till tomorrow for the feed rep to be at the feed store to see if I can get a refund or exchange.....

Sorry to hear about that, MsSage. The feed store should be giving you a refund or exchange regardless; it might be an old bag or might have come defective from Cargill, but neither of those options justify the feed store not giving you a refund or exchange, regardless of what the Cargill rep says. We are Cargill dealers and I wouldn't hesitate to take back a bag of bad feed (though it's never happened.... we're less than 100 miles from the Cargill plant here, and they do a great job...).

MsSage said:

Anything that has a high fat content that is left where it is warm, has a tendency to lose quality, smell bad, sour, clump, etc. So if you had it
where it wasn't kept cool, they might not take it back. You have to be
careful with that stuff, sometimes there is a processing problem. You might
ask them about that.

My suggestion would to be get your horses wormed and remember, a supplement is a supplement, not a substiture. You are feeding them hay, right, or is your grass plentiful?

Check your pm's.
Good luck!

I worm every 3 months. Which I did as soon as they got home. I had just bought the bag and opened it when I got home, so it was already like that before I bought it.
Feeding brome hay and honey glo feed with beet pulp shreds mixed in.
I was wanting the supplement to put weight on fast so they would be ready for winter.....Yes, I feed all winter along with either Alfalfa or brome hay.
I have to feed hay all year ...no grass. With 5.33 inches of rain all year dont make a good pasture.

Latest posts