• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sad weekend here

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Reaction score
We got up earyl Friday am and having our morning coffee when Donna looked out a our old sheltie cross dog was stretched out in the driveway. Rushed out to see what was wrong and 2 of the heighbors coyote hounds were still here killing cats.
Cody (dog) was dead, throat crushed. Ran back to house and got rifle, got the big hound and the sly one got under a gate and got away.
Called neighbor and hewas gone, wife wouldn't let me go after the other one.
Had to wait until neighbor got home , and went to his place ,with him, shot the other worthless dog.
Had Cody for years and he was like a member of the family. Never bothered a thing and always had a tail wag for you. I have yet to understand why people keep trash like hounds around and let them run loose and get in trouble. [/b]

I am sorry. It is the same as losing one of the family. At least you know there will not be another animal killed by that pair.
Sending prayers

Hint for all who have dog problems and are fortunate enough to catch them in the act - use it all the time (when at home) home after my oldest daughter showed me how good it works - she is a 21 year old dead eye shot:

When multiple dogs show up in yard - shoot first one - then stand still and whistle like you are calling them - the standard - tweet tweet tweet. And use a friendly voice to encourage them to come back - "Here boy - good dog - good dog".

At least one of the runners will stop and look back - take him and you might even get lucky to get the third if more than two.

We have thinned a great part of the problem out of our area.

Remember - "Shoot, shovel and shut the hell up!"

Sorry to hear about your dog - glad neighbour was good enough to allow the job to be finished - many times that will not happen.

Get another dog - even a mutt - asap - you will not be sorry you did. It helps fill that empty spot.

Best thoughts to you and your family

BC

We are thinking about buying a dog pen to protect our own dogs.

This is a weird world we live in now. Last night I took out a live trap and a feed bucket out of my pickup in the driveway went to clean out pickup bed and fill night buckets. Someone came stole my live trap and bucket at exactly 5:07 pm I could see them but could not run them down. Last year a a simple bucket blew out of my pickup I slammed on my brakes turned around and someone was picking it up. I was flashing my lights honking my horn followed them at a high rate of speed 2 miles before turning around. They took off into town like they robbed the bank.

We have a city transplant neighbor dog over here. He did not kill anything but would attack us when trying to get in our own trucks and opening gates.
I went up to tell the owner he was still in bed at 11;00 am and got word to him. He would come over every other day to get his dog.Kept saying he tied him up. This lasted for a week. We had to park one pickup each side of the house and send someone out the front door while dog was running at them another would run out to back to get in the other pickup.
Sorry about your dog and knowing he/she was trying to protect your own property and being maulled like that. My blood would boil for a long time.

So sorry to hear about your dog. I guess the big question is how long would it take dogs like this to go after a little kid????

We had a couple of bad dogs around here a few years ago too. They respected our donkeys ... a lot.... and used to follow the railway tracks past our place to go harrass the neighbour's cattle. Only one of them was a really bad dog. She was half wolf. The other was just a follower, and once number one was out of the picture he never left home again. Anyway, these dogs went to one neighbour's place and got ahold of their dog. She was much the same type of dog as yours, and would never hurt a fly. They actually pulled her hip out of the socket. She got over it with a surgery and big vet bill, but after that the neighbourhood was gunning for these dogs.

It wasn't long before the bad dog was gone. There are several stories going around about what happened, but I guess we'll never know the real story. Some say she was shot, and someone else said that they were told she was gotten by a bear. I doubt that, but if this meant she was torn up and beaten, then she could have been got by a donkey. :shock:

Hayfeeder, is your neighbour going to get rid of his dog? It's probably only a matter of time before he does something horrible like attack a kid too. :shock: :shock: :shock:

No kids here lucky. The owner said he was going to get his dog fixed that would solve the problem lol.
I drive the pickup and open the gate. lol

Have trouble with trespass along the river, they said "my dog won't chase anything with me here". I would say "not worried about the dog chasing, but the momma cow chasing your dog back between your legs and the cow trashing you, then you wanting to sue."
Then one summer working with a Government trapper after losing 30 farm flock lambs. I would just tell the trespass dog owners that I have traps, snares and in some spots M-44s. Gee they left they didn't argue.
Got a livestock guard dog now that keeps most off but If I catch one way down in the meadows the trap and snare story comes out.

Have had to shoot my share of dogs …

Hay Feeder said:
We are thinking about buying a dog pen to protect our own dogs.

This is a weird world we live in now. Last night I took out a live trap and a feed bucket out of my pickup in the driveway went to clean out pickup bed and fill night buckets. Someone came stole my live trap and bucket at exactly 5:07 pm I could see them but could not run them down. Last year a a simple bucket blew out of my pickup I slammed on my brakes turned around and someone was picking it up. I was flashing my lights honking my horn followed them at a high rate of speed 2 miles before turning around. They took off into town like they robbed the bank.

We have a city transplant neighbor dog over here. He did not kill anything but would attack us when trying to get in our own trucks and opening gates.
I went up to tell the owner he was still in bed at 11;00 am and got word to him. He would come over every other day to get his dog.Kept saying he tied him up. This lasted for a week. We had to park one pickup each side of the house and send someone out the front door while dog was running at them another would run out to back to get in the other pickup.
Sorry about your dog and knowing he/she was trying to protect your own property and being maulled like that. My blood would boil for a long time.

I'd be damned if any dog includeing my own would try to attack people I'd have shot that dog before it would have caused any trouble. If they are'nt home they are causeing trouble here.

Hay Feeder I would NEVER tolerate a dog going after people. I had a dog that tried to attack my mother twice, he was chained up at the time too. He was put down after that.

I would call the sherrif's department and inform them that this neighbors dog has been chasing you guys on your property. Then shoot the sucker. That will take care of the problem.

Good Morning Everyone, Donna and I would like to thank everyone for their messages. We are still greiving Cody. Donna went to the garden yesterday and came back crying, Cody always went with her.
But we are slowly getting better, and not get some anger coming out about what happened.
We had a sick bull in the corral and they almost ran him to death too.
He had summer pneumonia, and short of air, looks like hell now.
New policy here Stray dog on this place Kill,them.

Anyway alittle about us, I came back to the ranch 5 yrs ago to help out for a couple weeks and am still here, my folks had passed away and sister was here and wanted to try something new. So they left and We bought the place. then Donna quit here job in North Platte, Ne and moved up too. We still have our house there and she checks on it on a regular basis. I was gone for 22 yrs in the Real Estate and Auction business and have now made full circle return. Miss the people but love the animals and the life. BUT--- where is the profit???? LOL

Thanks again everyone Wayne and Donna

Sorry about your dog. A good dog is like a member of the family, and bad dogs can cause a lot of grief.

It was nice meeting and visiting with both of you at the Bennett County Fair. The people in charge sure put on a great BBQ supper and watermelon feed that evening.

Yesterday, Ma looked out the kitchen window, and spies a pack of stray dogs. One white, 4 black. I grabs my shotgun, and take off. Got the white one, and now there are two black and red one, and two blacks.

Latest posts