• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Saddle care

Help Support Ranchers.net:

efb

Reaction score
I guess I would direct this mainly to Jinglebob, but any input is appreciated. I don't use my saddle much any more and I was wondering how I should care for it to keep it from drying out. What do you use on them and how often ?

I and a lot of others think the best product is pure Neatsfoot oil, not neatsfoot compound as it has man made oils or mineral oil in it. Pure neatsfoot comes from the cow so it figures that putting it back into the leather is a good thing.

Kings Saddlery has a museum full of old saddle and I read that all they will use is Skidmore's Leather Cream. It is real good and really soaks deep into old dry leather. I've heard good things about Ray Holes Saddle Butter also. Never have tried it tho' , but I use Skidmores on leather that is a little more raggy as it won't make the leather raggier. Neatsfoot is relatively inexpensive and easy to put on. It's what I put on new saddles an even a light coating will help water proof and keep the leather softer. Sun light is hard on any skin and that is what leather is.

Where are you storing it, as too much sunlight and to much wet and humid can be real hard on leather.

When it comes right down to it, about any oil is better than no oil, but some will help to rot the leather away.

Is this a useable saddle? Can you keep it in the house or a controlled temperture and moisture, building of some sort?

When you go to oil leather, it is best to dampen it with water first and let it almost dry back out a little as this opens the pores in the leather and it will take the oil better.

Hope this helps.

Good luck. :D

I use neadsfoot something-or-other, oil or compound but I don't recall which. I like to put it on with an old 2" paintbrush. It goes a lot faster than using a rag and you can get in cracks and such much easier. I usually do it over Christmas break from college - always enjoy those winter jobs like that. Much more fulfilling than schoolwork.
I've also heard of people who get a big tub of neadsfoot and dunk the whole saddle in there.

Thanks for the advise. I have not used neatsfoot oil on it in the past because it seems it darkens leather and I didn't want to darken this saddle. It is still in good shape and I want to keep it that way. I am going to treat it as you indicate. Thanks.

efb said:
Thanks for the advise. I have not used neatsfoot oil on it in the past because it seems it darkens leather and I didn't want to darken this saddle. It is still in good shape and I want to keep it that way. I am going to treat it as you indicate. Thanks.

Neatsfoot or any oil will darken the leather a little, at first, and as it soaks in, the color will lighten back up a little. I've had a friend who claims olive oil won't darken it as quick. When you put oil on leather and take it in the sun it is going to darken. Period. It seems to me that when I've used Skidmores the leather doesn't darken as quick as with other oils and I think if that is really true, it's because the oil isn't penetrating as deep. If you gobbed Skidmores on and left it set in a warm room for several days, I think it will penetrate as deep as neatsfoot. It just takes longer for it to do it.

California cowboys used to use olive oil as it was cheap and easy to get.

Any oil that tastes good to a critter is going to cause little packtrats and pups to chew on the leather.

I've brushed neatsfoot on and I use a piece of sponge rubber now. The last saddle I built, was colored the way it is, because I was low on neatsfoot and didn't put as much on. The feller who got it was told to oil it some more.

Rich Boyer in Hermiston, Oregon uses Olive oil.....Can't remember exactly why, but his saddles do last. Part of it isn't in his nature to build a light one,

PPRM

Latest posts