• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Saddle horse pulling contest, Sandhills Ranch Expo 6-16-10

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Hardpullingpony.jpg

Hard pulling pony leads off the saddle horse pulling contest
Atthesaddlehorsepullingcontest.jpg

The horses took turns in order of their size. The first weight was 20% of the horse's weight.
Then the next weight was 50%. Each round added another five percent.
Thislittleblackhorsewasanimpressive.jpg

This little black horse was impressive.
Eventheannouncertookhisturn.jpg

Even the announcer took his turn.
Itwasaninterestingevent.jpg

It was an interesting event.
Heaveho.jpg

Heave ho
Theloadkeepsgettingbigger.jpg

The load keeps getting bigger.
AfriendfromMartindoingwell.jpg

A friend from Martin is doing well. He started my Yellowstone horse for me quite a few years ago.
Theloadisgettingtough.jpg

The load is getting tough.
Thelittleblackpullinghard.jpg

The little black is pulling hard.
Theannouncertakinghisturnatpulling.jpg

The announcer taking his turn at pulling
Along-timefriendwhowehadthepleasure.jpg

A long-time friend who we had the pleasure to sit by and visit with
Thelittleblackmakingitlookeasy.jpg

The little black making it look easy.
ThehorseandriderfromMartinstillinth.jpg

The horse and rider from Martin are still very much in the game.
Thelittleblacktakesitagain.jpg

The little black takes it again.
Gettingdowntothenittygritty.jpg

Getting down to the nitty gritty
Thelittleblackstilldoingwell.jpg

The little black is pulling 95% of his weight.
Thingsabouttogotoheckinahandbasket.jpg

Things about to go to heck in a handbasket. A split second after this photo was taken, the cinch broke, and my friend from Martin hit the ground.
Pickinguppiecesofthehandbasket.jpg

Picking up the pieces. The little black horse won the competiton.

Dylan Biggs said:
Quite an event! Thanks for posting.
The guy that hit the ground didn't own a breast collar?

Great minds think alike! Where's his breast collar? :D :???: Looks like an interesting contest. Thanks!

That's interestin. Looks like somethin I could do, but with s breast collar! I guess no horses got strained? I recone there tuffin to it. It aint like there got somethin fightin and snatchin on the other end.

looks like a waste of time to me. IMO i can sure appreciate a horse that will get down and flat out pull and from time to time i'll ask my horses to do it. but doing it just for something to brag about while drinking a beer with your buddies...........i don't know, i just don't care for it.

again, IMO. :)

If you look at it that way then most recreational pursuits would be a waste of time. Unless it hurts the horse it is just as useful an event as any of the other rodeo pursuits. I on the other hand like to pull old tractors. Also could be considered a waste of time and money but it is fun, enjoyable and entertaining for the competitor and the spectator. Some time well wasted is time well spent. IMHO.

per said:
If you look at it that way then most recreational pursuits would be a waste of time. Unless it hurts the horse it is just as useful an event as any of the other rodeo pursuits. I on the other hand like to pull old tractors. Also could be considered a waste of time and money but it is fun, enjoyable and entertaining for the competitor and the spectator. Some time well wasted is time well spent. IMHO.

like i said, per, it was just my opinion. i don't feel like arguing about it. :wink:

I am with your friend from Martin. I am not a fan of breast collars, but its hard to argue that point when you are gatherin your hull from the dirt :) Like Justin & Per, thats just my opinion.

I wish I could patch some fence and ride just a little. Pullin somethin would be fun for a old wore out sick decrepid old bastard like my self. The rn in texas asked me if my doc here had sent me to a specalist about my weakness and he aint. Maybe they can figer it out at texas.

It's nice to have a horse that can pull. I would say I have found a lot more use for a horse that can hold. If I can hold something long enough they will eventually give, then when I need to pull my horses have the confidence to get after it. There is my penny.

sure handy to have a horse that can pull a cow out of the bog. One time when I was down in Saratoga I found a cow bogged completely with only her head still on top the mud. I was riding a lanky 3 yr old and I hated to do it but latched on to her with him. It was either that or kill her cuz she was done. When I asked him to go man did he drop into it and give her hell. A few short pulls and we had got her out on her side and then we snaked to dry ground. As close to dead as she had been man was she mad when I took the rope off, was quite a race for a short while but she was weaker than I was slow. Jim, my colt that I was riding was pretty shaky but we took it easy me leading him for quite awhile and got back to the barn and some extra grain for him. I sure was proud of him and he turned out fine.

Reminds me of when I was a teenager and tried a shortcut across a swamp with a pick up truck. We were moving cattle and eventually the much wiser riders came along. They drug that truck across the swamp just like in that contest. Much more horsepower with the 2 of them than the 250 horses that was in the truck. :shock:

Soap,you are gettin flat good with that picture story stuff,really enjoyed this one :wink:
good luck

Latest posts