• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Saddle size? Do you notice..

Help Support Ranchers.net:

L.A.

Reaction score
Do you really notice much difference between 15 1/2" and 16" or even

15" and 16"?

How about type, say 15" Roper and 15" wade"?

Seems like these days it's hard try a saddle out before you buy and with few
saddle shops and most everything online it's a crap shoot.

Thanks,

I've posted this on some other forums, if it looks familiar.

Team ropers seem to be going to a smaller tree than guys
who ranch ride for some reason. Mr. FH rides a 16" and he
likes it. It is custom made and has a 4" cantle. A Wade with
a higher cantle sometimes makes the seat seem smaller.
Gotta watch a Wade and make sure that cantle is right or
it will bite you right in the back.

Good luck finding one. I can't imagine buying a saddle
and not sitting in it. Funny I say that, because years ago
I bought a saddle out of Sheplers and when it came it was
a great saddle!! But now, I sure wouldn't do that again. :p :D

Faster horses said:

:D My son has a 15 inch Wade with a 5 inch spade cantle and it seems about 4 inches smaller then my 16.5 Tipton. :eek:

Faster horses said:

I dealt with Teskey's one time on a saddle, they sent it out for me to try, but it didn't work. They paid the shipping to send it back, so I wasn't out a penny. That was a few years ago, so I'm not sure they'd do the exact same thing again, but I'd bet they'd work with a person.

WyomingRancher said:
Faster horses said:

I dealt with Teskey's one time on a saddle, they sent it out for me to try, but it didn't work. They paid the shipping to send it back, so I wasn't out a penny. That was a few years ago, so I'm not sure they'd do the exact same thing again, but I'd bet they'd work with a person.

Now that you posted that, I'm going to have to eat my words. I don't
know how many saddles we tried from Kings Saddlery (sending
back and forth) before we
bought one. They were GREAT to work with, but on the other hand,
we are probably one of thier oldest customers...since so many older
than us are probably dead!!! :p :D :wink:

L.A. said:

15" and 16"?

Thanks,

I reckon it would depend on big your behind was, seen some ladies that would challenge a size 16 easy.
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
L.A. said:

15" and 16"?

Thanks,

I reckon it would depend on big your behind was, seen some ladies that would challenge a size 16 easy.
good luck

You're begging for trouble today, Haymaker... :p :wink: :D

HAY MAKER said:
L.A. said:

15" and 16"?

Thanks,

good luck

Do you reckon that's why they used to ride sidesaddle. That way they would have the whole length of the horses back to enjoy a nice comfortable ride. :lol:

tumbleweed_texn said:
HAY MAKER said:
L.A. said:

15" and 16"?

Thanks,

good luck

Do you reckon that's why they used to ride sidesaddle. That way they would have the whole length of the horses back to enjoy a nice comfortable ride. :lol:

You too, are cruisin' for a bruisin'... :p :D

tumbleweed_texn said:
Ive seen some of these northern barrel.racers around here sittin' in their little barrel saddles and it looked like they were wearing a thong.
I guess cuz it would be hard pressed for them to come out of that saddle..............

In all seriousness though, the style of saddle will also determine comfort in different seat sizes. When I've got rough riding to do, I will ride my 16" association tree. Anything smaller in an assoc. tree is too uncofortable for me. I bought the "Hostile Native" a wade that is 15" or 15 1/2". Cant remember which. I causes me to sit up a little straighter but is pretty comfortable. I wouldnt ride it on a bronc or green colt though. The rougher the horse or the country, the deeper I wanna be sitting in the saddle.

tumbleweed_texn said:
In all seriousness though, the style of saddle will also determine comfort in different seat sizes. When I've got rough riding to do, I will ride my 16" association tree. Anything smaller in an assoc. tree is too uncofortable for me. I bought the "Hostile Native" a wade that is 15" or 15 1/2". Cant remember which. I causes me to sit up a little straighter but is pretty comfortable. I wouldnt ride it on a bronc or green colt though. The rougher the horse or the country, the deeper I wanna be sitting in the saddle.
I agree on the style of saddle having a lot to due with how the saddle feels even if the seat is the same length. I've got a 15" on an Ellensburg tree that feels alot smaller than my 15 1/2" Wade. I'm on my second Wade and it has a different feel because although the saddles were made by the same maker the trees were built by different makers. I've had to change saddles because the older ones I used to use are too narrow for the kind of horses I'm ridding now.

the width and pitch of the cantle board make a difference.also,there is a difference in tree size and finished size.finished size is a bit smaller

Getting the right size (and feel) saddle is the same as buying women's clothing - you have to try it on to know if it fits or not! There are a lot of factors that change the measured seat length without changing the amount of room in the saddle. Those same factors can keep the seat length measuring the same while there is a different amount of actual room in the saddle for the rider. Here's a link that explains more fully: http://www.rodnikkel.com/content/index.php/understanding-tree-measurements/seat-length-and-thigh-length-relationships/

I think the style of tree makes a lot of difference in how a saddle feels. I had always ridden roping saddles. I have bad hips, I finally got to the point that I hurt every time I rode. I bought a wade saddle and now it doesn't bother me to be in the saddle all day long. I would say that the cantle makes a big difference in the way a saddle fits, but in reality should make no difference in the true seat size you need. Don't be fooled by padded seats. While a saddle may measure 16, if it has a padded seat it will probably ride like a 15.5. Hope you find what you are looking for.

It's a little crude but I'll tell you what an old cowboy told me on saddle size and stirrup length.

To check saddle size- While sitting down in the saddle you should be able to fit your fist between your nuts and the swells with no problem.

To check stirrup length- while standing in the stirrups you should be able to fit your fist between the seat and your nuts with no problem.

Like I said, a little crude, but you get the point. When it comes to buying a saddle there are so many variables and they all make a difference. First, decide what style you want and what you are going to use it for. For noncompetitive riding, most women can get by with a 15", most men I know like a 16". Remember that a too small saddle can make a miserable ride.

Latest posts