• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Saddles... (pics)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sunraven

Reaction score
Since we've been talking about saddles, how about everyone post a picture of their saddle (or the one they ride in the most)?

I guess I'll start, here is my favorite saddle. Very simple, very plain, very comfortable. It's setting on a buckskin mule named Mac.

saddle.jpg

I dunno know what mine looks like.. I keep checking the mailbox for a horse and saddle combo from JB but I guess I actually have to go out there and buy them... I mean really, come on... :wink: :lol: :lol:

IL Rancher said:
I dunno know what mine looks like.. I keep checking the mailbox for a horse and saddle combo from JB but I guess I actually have to go out there and buy them... I mean really, come on... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Man! You should'a said somethin'. Hell, I didn't realize you was willing to pay all that extra freight charge. Just send me a blank check with a signature and I'll have both on the way in no time. :)

I'm sure you would be sending it Pony Express eh JB?

:lol: :lol:

I'm sorry, I had to do it..

They've been making me ride this devil horse every week.... Real fun horse, a bit like driving a corvette in an ice storm but still one heck of a ride, lol.

IL Rancher said:
I'm sure you would be sending it Pony Express eh JB?

:lol: :lol:

I'm sorry, I had to do it..

They've been making me ride this devil horse every week.... Real fun horse, a bit like driving a corvette in an ice storm but still one heck of a ride, lol.

Ahh, Cabbillo Diablo, eh. Good horse. I'm surprized he's still around tho'. :shock:

:wink:

I shouldn't call her a devil horse.. She doesn't try to buck you or anything like that but she wants to go... go.. go.. Getting better with her, and if nothing else she really reinforces the idea that you need to pay attention and feel what she is going to do next.. I actually get a bit miffed when her name isn't by mine when I get their because I am just enjoying the challenge a bit..

Curly, depends on the mule. They tend to be flatter backed both ways than a horse more like a donkey but a lot of horse saddles will fit a mule. A number of companies make mule trees/saddles but those aren't guaranteed to fit all mules either. The guy I bought my saddle from called it a mule saddle (he bought it from a mule person to use on his horse, which makes no sense to me if he knew it had a mule tree) but hard to tell by looking, it's not semi-QH and it's not full, seems to be somewhere in between.

The old saddle has been well used. I've hauled a lot of meat out of the mountains with that one. It was my moms saddle-- circa 1940's I suspect.

The new saddle has a 12 inch fork; I wanted a modified slick fork and it turned out great. The cantle is 4 1/2 inches. Really a nice saddle to ride. Quality from top to bottom.

The tooling that was done on this saddle is better than any I have seen. I was particular about the tree design but on the tooling I pretty much let him use his creativity, I told him to just have fun. When I walked in his shop to pick it up I was amazed and speechless. The darn thing was almost too pretty to use. I liked it so much I ordered another one that will be done in December.

Tap, thats a pretty cool saddle there. I like how the belly cinch is worked into the skirting. How do you like those stirrups?

It seems more and more new Wade saddles. I even noticed many of the Texas cowboys are having Wade saddles made. Why is it? You wouldn't tie hard and fast on one... ???. Paul

paul
i rode a wade tree acually 3 different saddles all made by mcall saddlery and i tied hard to them and the bars spread in all 3 and started soreing horses so i went back to a mod asotiatoin tree still with a post horn to dally to when i want to dally
as for why the wade tree
i liked them for the feedom i had with my leg i could reach up and hook a bronc over the top of the point of the shoulder without the swells or squa tits in the way and when i was trotting alot it seemed to be a little easier to post
just my reasons
until later
jerry

Curly, for the most part I like the saddle too. The stirrups did not come with the saddle. I bought them by themselves, and I got an imitation wool liner along with them for cold weather. I do like them a lot, but one side rubs into the top of my foot sometimes. The saddle was built in a shop in Ekalaka MT, but the maker rode over the great divide a while back.

The kids and I rode a little today, so I took a fresh picture.

Tys106.jpg

I had to edit my post because I forgot to tell you how much I liked your saddle too. Did I miss who made it?

Latest posts