• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Said I'd post this concerning Yellowstone

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sierraman

Reaction score
On the Mt. Shasta thread, i said I'd post Yellowstone's response to when the super volcano, "Yellowstone" would explode and what would happen. It seems so long ago that I asked them the question, but i got the response today. Here it is:

At the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory (YVO), we are pleased that recent television shows and newspaper articles have highlighted Yellowstone?s spectacular geologic past and active present. YVO is a partnership between the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the University of Utah and Yellowstone National Park. Virtually all that is known about past caldera-forming eruptions at Yellowstone, the size and current capability for eruption of the magma chamber, the modern earthquake and ground deformation history, etc. comes from years of hard work by YVO scientists and our collaborators. We are encouraged that the public shares our enthusiasm for Yellowstone and its history and we regularly assist the many television and newspaper professionals focussed on the Yellowstone volcanic system.

It is important that everyone understand that current geologic activity at Yellowstone has remained relatively constant since earth scientists first started monitoring some 30 years ago. Prospects of renewed volcanism are still far away. Though another caldera-forming eruption is theoretically possible, it is very unlikely to occur in the next thousand or even 10,000 years. Smaller eruptions are more likely, but even so, we see no signals of any impending volcanic unrest. YVO maintains an array of instruments that monitor activities at Yellowstone around the clock.

We ask that you explore the pages of our website (http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo) to learn more about Yellowstone?s volcanic past, to view current data about earthquakes, ground movement and stream flow, and to read some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) that we receive. Our new USGS Yellowstone Fact Sheet provides some context about scientists? growing recognition that Yellowstone remains an active volcanic and earthquake system.

YVO works with scientists from all over the world to characterize the Yellowstone volcanic system, to assess hazards and to convey our current knowledge to the Yellowstone National Park management and the public. We appreciate your cooperation and support!

National Park Service
Visitor Services Office
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190
(307) 344-2109
[email protected]

Latest posts