• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Saling

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
Got a phone call late last week asking if we wanted to tag along to an auction that had "150" saddles, some wagons, and mainly JUNK! Since we are wanna be saddle collectors, it was Sunday, the feller doing the asking is a good story teller, and I wasn't gonna have to pay for all the fuel to go 200 miles to it, we decided to tag along. We went up through the Badlands of South Dakota, and only had to stop twice to figure out which road to turn on. :p Got to the sale in plenty of time.

001-1.jpg

Fence line after fence line of saddles.

002-1.jpg

The line up of wagons.

003-1.jpg

A few of the individual wagons

005-1.jpg

006-2.jpg

007.jpg

Our chauffeur and entertainer for the day, getting more information.

009-1.jpg

Story time, and it was good!!

010-1.jpg

Thanks for the great day Soap!!

It was a very fun day. Thanks for going with me, LazyWP and LW Leather. I felt like a school kid playing hooky. :)

At 6 p.m. in Chadron, the temperature read 69 degrees. How many times has that ever happened on March 25th in northern Nebraska? 'Twas a wonderful day, and the best part is I only spent five dollars and thirty cents at the sale. One box of old calendars was bought for a dollar, and two other boxes of playing cards and other "stuff" cost two dollars each. The extra thirty cents was for sales tax. That auction ticket might get framed. :wink:

Didn't come home with a single 1. Most of them were for a "DUDE" string. Most were el cheapos, with just enough antique names thrown in to draw a crowd. Advertised Crockett bits, and there were a few, but they were the grazing bit style, that aren't worth much. I spent $62 on 3 chain boomers, a tool box full of wrenches to plant, and Lisa HAD TO HAVE a rubber bucket.

As for the rest of the trip, I didn't realize that I was traveling with a criminal.... shoot, he couldn't even buy a 22 rifle at Wal-mart. :lol: :) :D

Come on guys fill us in on the wagons. They look like they were in pretty nice shape what did they sell for?

Tam said:
Come on guys fill us in on the wagons. They look like they were in pretty nice shape what did they sell for?

Soap is gonna have to fill you in on most of the prices. The only one I have any clue on, was the big red one. I think it brought $5100, and came back to Gordon NE. I think the wagons were the only thing Soap was interested in, and Buck got to telling stories about the time they got to the wagons, so I'm not sure Soap even watched a wagon sell.

LazyWP said:
Tam said:

Soap is gonna have to fill you in on most of the prices. The only one I have any clue on, was the big red one. I think it brought $5100, and came back to Gordon NE. I think the wagons were the only thing Soap was interested in, and Buck got to telling stories about the time they got to the wagons, so I'm not sure Soap even watched a wagon sell.

Before the wagons started to sell, I got a got seat on the top rail of a corral panel, right behind the second wagon to sell. The first doctor's buggy sold for $3200. It was an original, but in good shape, and it had been in the movie Dances With Wolves. The front seat had a unique feature, in that it both swiveled to the side or folded down out of the way. These attributes were to facilitate more ease in a doctor working on his patients.

The second wagon to sell was a two seated affair in fine useable condition. I hesitate to use the word Democrat wagon (because that word tends to tarnish the coolness of the buggy), but that may have been what it technically was. It brought $3600. Right after it sold, an older cowboy was walking behind the wagon, so I moved my feet to accommodate him. He said, "This is a pretty nice buggy." I agreed with him and asked if he had a team. He answered that he did have, but had recently sold them and now regretted doing so. I asked where he was from, and he said, "Nemo, South Dakota." I then asked his name, and he said, "Buck Troxell." It had been many years since I had seen Buck, and I knew his dad, Frank, better, but Troxell's started the 4T Guest Ranch at Nemo back in the 1940's. Frank had been neighbors to my grandparents back in the 1920's, east of Martin, South Dakota, and the families have been good friends ever since. It was fun seeing Buck again, and we had a lot of catching up to do. Consequently I missed seeing many of the other wagons sell. I do know that a nice brown freight wagon brought $5100, and the big red hitch wagon brought $5900. That was the highest price paid for any of them.

LazyWP said:
As for the rest of the trip, I didn't realize that I was traveling with a criminal.... shoot, he couldn't even buy a 22 rifle at Wal-mart. :lol: :) :D

There was a .22 rifle at Walmart that looked like it would be worth buying for a hundred and forty-seven dollars. Had I been wearing a terry-cloth topknot instead of a cowboy hat, this would have been an easy thing to do. Alas, I am not a transient or illegal immigrant. I have lived within a few miles of the same little country cowtown all my life, sixty years to be exact. The only time my address has changed in this sixty years was when Peach and I got married, about 33 years ago. We got our own post office box number at that time. The post office did put in updated boxes a few years later, and the numbers didn't go up as high as they did before, so we got a new box number at that time. Twenty-six years ago we moved to a different ranch thirty miles away, but still kept the same address which amounted to keeping the same box number.

During all these years I have banked at the same bank. The first check I ever wrote was in the amount of $7.00 for a new felt hat when I was about eight years old. Somewhere in my collection, I still possess that cancelled check, which was written with a lead pencil. Even though I have banked at the same bank all these years, the bank has changed hands four different times. It ain't me that changes; it's the rest of the world. :roll:

The only infractions I have ever had with the law amounted to a few speeding tickets acquired over the years. Even some of them I was able to talk my way out of. :)

Three years ago I renewed my driver's license. At that time, our county had not updated the Nine-One-One addresses, so my current "new and improved" emergency address was not available. Consequently my driver's license does not have a physical address. Whenever we renew our check supply, we get enough done to last awhile. These don't have our physical address. Even my business cards were made up long enough ago that they don't have my physical address. The Walmart clerk suggested that if I had any mail along that had my physical address, that would help. Not only did I not have any mail with me, but even if I did, it would only have had the post office box number. When any mail comes with my physical address, the postmaster slaps a little sticker on the envelope which reads: "Please notify sender that this is not your proper mailing address." :roll: Good thing I didn't really need another gun, because my request to buy one was certainly turned down. When it comes to stealing identity, I can't even steal my own. :shock: :roll: :)

Anyway, I have some beefs, and they are all out in the pasture waiting for me to show up and take care of them. :wink:

Well, that certainly clears up the mystery.

An experience like that is maddening! Progress isn't always in a forward direction.

Sorta like cell phones. It used to be that every phone call was clear as a bell and never dropped off. Nowadays, with modern technology we have progressed to a point where a caller is nearly inaudible and we're lucky to get through a conversation without losing the connection.

On a positive note, maybe we are learning to get our point across quicker and not spend so much time talking on the phone!

Soapweed. No Fixed Address.

Just admit it, transients shouldn't be allowed to buy guns.

Or did I miss something?

:wink: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts