• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

salt choices

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LCP

Reaction score
I know there have been a lot of discussions about mineral here, so I feel bad bringing this up again, but here goes...

Anybody out there use Redmond salt or Sea-90 salt? If so, what were the results? And what did it cost?

We've been on a custom mineral program for the past few years. Our nutritionist has us putting the Sea-90 salt out free-choice next to the custom mineral (which has "regular" salt in it as well). They were eating about equal parts of the mineral and sea salt. Can't say I've noticed a big difference since adding the sea salt.

On another note, we also offered sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) free-choice next to the mineral and sea salt. They ate that at about the same rate, except when we moved to corn stalks. Then they started really going after it. Supposed to be a buffer, settles their stomach down I guess.

I have been using the Redmond trace minerial salt for the past two years and can't be happier with the results. The cost of it is why I started using it in the first place it is half the price of the other blocks around here. As far as cattle go I have not had to doctor a cow or a calf for foot rot or pinkeye out on our range ground in the past on the other salts I was averaging about 2 a week during the summer months and in early fall when the flys get real bad I was doctoring 7 to 8 a week for pink eye. I say this about the salt though it seems the cows do go thru it faster than the other but the way I look at that is a lot cheapper than having lame or blind cows or calves that aren't growing

I've tried different types of formulations and have used the American Stockman trace mineral SE-90 bag salt for the last couple of years. I add a fair amount of organic iodide to it so I have high Se and I levels. Cows love it in the summer and with the Se and I, keeps their feet healthy.

Latest posts