• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sanctions against Japan?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cal

Reaction score
Thune introduces resolution to push Japan to reopen market

March 17th, 2005 - Washington, D.C. - Senator John Thune introduced legislation today to reopen the Japanese market to U.S. beef imports, after an unsatisfactory meeting last week with the Japanese ambassador.

"The Japanese ambassador could not tell us when the border will reopen – and that's not acceptable," Thune said. "Those of us representing cattle country have lost patience with Japan."

Thune's resolution directs the U.S. Trade Representative to seek economic sanctions against Japan if it does not reopen its borders to U.S. beef. The resolution has nine Senate co-sponsors and mirrors a resolution in the U.S. House of Representatives introduced by Rep. Jerry Moran (R-KS).

"Japan owes American ranchers more action and less bureaucratic double-talk," Thune said. "American consumers and ranchers know American beef is safe. Japan has no scientific reason not to open the border. Japan's ban amounts an unfair trade barrier and requires a strong U.S. response. This resolution will deliver a strong message to the Japanese government to reopen the border. Japan must understand that there will be consequences to their continued inaction."

Last Friday, Thune, Moran and a bipartisan group of U.S. Senators met with Japanese Ambassador Ryozo Kato. Following the meeting, Thune told reporters that the Japanese Ambassador failed to deliver a satisfactory explanation for the closed borders

"It sounded like a bunch of bureaucratic mumbo jumbo," Thune said. "It is terribly frustrating that there are no timelines. There are no deadlines. There is no indication that there was any certainty about when the border will reopen."

Japan closed its borders to U.S. beef after the U.S. discovered a single case of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE), in a Canadian dairy cow in December of 2003. Since that time, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has aggressively implemented additional safety checks in the beef system to guarantee the safety of American beef. Nevertheless, Japan has still has no imminent plans to re-open its borders.

Thune's resolution calls on Japan to meet its trade obligations under an agreement reached on October 23, 2004. If Japan fails to abide by the agreement to reopen its border, then the U.S. Trade Representative should initiate immediate retaliatory economic measures on Japan. Since Japan closed its markets to U.S. beef in December 2003, the U.S. has lost an estimated $2 billion in sales.

Threaten sanctions against Japan while supporting legislative action to stop the opening of the Canadian border.

Pathetic!

~SH~

Quote- "Japan owes American ranchers more action and less bureaucratic double-talk," Thune said. "American consumers and ranchers know American beef is safe. Japan has no scientific reason not to open the border. Japan's ban amounts an unfair trade barrier and requires a strong U.S. response. This resolution will deliver a strong message to the Japanese government to reopen the border. Japan must understand that there will be consequences to their continued inaction." :shock: :shock:

Hey...... Let's try something..........

"USA owes Canadian ranchers more action and less bureaucratic double-talk," Thune said. "American consumers and ranchers know Canadian beef is safe. USA has no scientific reason not to open the border. USA's ban amounts an unfair trade barrier and requires a strong Canadian response. This resolution will deliver a strong message to the American government to reopen the border. USA must understand that there will be consequences to their continued inaction."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now.. now... Tim ... quit trying to confuse the protectionists with logic: they might call you some dirty names to justify their cause :wink: :!:

cowsense- "Now.. now... Tim ... quit trying to confuse the protectionists with logic: they might call you some dirty names to justify their cause "

Well, if they want to call me dirty names they'll have to take a number and get in line , like everybody else!!! :wink:

I gotta wonder if people's lips get sore when they talk out of both sides of their mouth. :lol:

It is just so hard for me to accept what is happening now when it was so predicatable and so avoidable. Lets back up a year and reexamine the situation;

* Japan has closed their borders on a BSE scare and we want back in...... Now, if you are looking for an angle to get back in, wouldn't you look real hard at how they were dealing with their own BSE problem? Wouldn't that give you a good idea on what might be acceptable, what is already working, and what you can use for leverage? It would be just like a coach looking at film of his opponent to see what has worked and what hasn't. :?

*After public uproar, Japan has instituted 100% BSE testing......
You look at testing and see that not only does it instill consumer confidence, but it is their law. It's working as consumers are buying tested beef - you've got an angle. 8)

*You look into testing and it does not make sense scientifically. You then realize you're not competing at a science fair, but are involved in international trade and you make your living by selling beef. You learn the test is reletively inexpensive, and your potential customers are even willing to pay the costs. You realize you've got an angle and nothing to lose. :)

Soooo, what do you do? Do you pursue testing or do you demand the Japanese adhere to your science, negotiate an alternative test they don't believe you can fulfill satisfactorally, make them change their own health laws so your product will pass, open the door to where you may be obligated in turn to take their beef (after they've had 15 cases of BSE), threaten them with retaliation, all the while ignoring consumer polls that suggest your untested beef won't sell well even if it is allowed in? :roll:

Could the USDA of made a bigger mess out if this if they tried? Maybe I'm just a "USDA blamer"
:wink:

Japan must understand that there will be consequences to their continued inaction."

oh no! whatever shall we do? the roundeyes thune is angry with us!!!!

Why are they stopping at just Japan there are lots of countries that aren't taking US beef? If they took this to the world trade courts I think the OIE stipulation about

"The importing country cannot be more trade restrictive than necessary to achieve the desired national level of protection, and that it's measures must not be different from those applied to products within the domestic market"

just might weigh the scale in Japans favor.

I agree cowsence 'Do as I say not as I do" as I'm bigger than you. The US is just the big bully on the play ground and they are finding out that the little guy has rights too. These Senators shot themselve in the foot when they voted to keep the Canadian border closed. Why should Japan open their border the U.S. is the same risk in their eyes.

Once again, Sandblaster parrots the testing rhetoric but has yet to provide one stitch of proof that the Japanese parliament would accept 100% BSE tested beef.

To the contrary, more and more proof comes out daily that Japan has realized the errors in this "CONSUMER DECEPTION" plan of Sandblaster's.

You see, he has to have something to cling to in order to justify R-CULT's stupidity in lying about the safety of Canadian beef.

So he creates the "ILLUSION" that we could be exporting to Japan now despite R-CULT's lies about the safety of the BSE precautionary measures we have taken that are identical to Canada's.

Sandblaster is a perfect example of everything that is wrong with R-CULT.

The end (keeping the Canadian border closed to live cattle) justifies the means (lying about the safety of Canadian beef and how R-CULT's actions have negatively impacted our trade with Japan).

"THE GREAT SANDBEENIE, MASTER ILLUSIONIST"!!!

~SH~

FWIW, I personally support opening the Canadian border, and believe not doing so sets a poor example, and have written correspondence reflecting that view. I would also consider that the senators sponsoring this bill, as well as the measure in the US House of Representatives, are getting a great deal of correspondence favoring keeping the Canadian border closed, especially as long as the Japanese border remains closed. The NCBA has also taken a position of opening the borders concurrently. If Japan's elusiveness to set a firm date to resume trade is a stumbling block to Canada trade as well, a little pressure from Japan's number 1 trading partner, the US, should be in both countries best interest. IMO, it's all politics and trade, no food safety issues, and I sure don't see a downside for Canada when any beef from North America is finally shipped to the Asian market. A lack of progress is aggravating for all of us who believe in free trade.

SH, "To the contrary, more and more proof comes out daily that Japan has realized the errors in this "CONSUMER DECEPTION" plan of Sandblaster's."

Is that right? :lol: :lol: :lol: Where did you come up with that? :roll:

SH (previous): "To the contrary, more and more proof comes out daily that Japan has realized the errors in this "CONSUMER DECEPTION" plan of Sandblaster's."

Sandblaster (typical question everything response): "Is that right? Where did you come up with that?"

New ground rules Sandblaster.

I am so sick of your "question everything you disagree with but bring nothing to support the position you do agree with" debate tactics that I will no longer be answering your questions and doing your research for you unless you bring something to warrant the question.

With my history of accuracy in supporting my position on the multitude of issues we cover here (packer concentration, captive supplies, "M"COOL, trade surplus, supply and demand factors, etc. etc.), I feel I know longer have to prove myself and certainly not to the likes of you.

If you bring nothing, you get nothing.

Like I said before, you aren't looking for the truth, you are looking for the chink in the armour and frankly, I'm sick of it.

This is the last question I will answer for you until you start supporting your position with factual information instead of endless rhetoric.

YOU JUST READ THIS..............

a) The "blanket BSE testing" policy must be modified. Currently, Japanese law requires that 100% of cattle (regardless of age) must be tested at harvest for BSE. This law must be modified to eliminate the domestic policy testing requirement for cattle under 20 months of age. In order for this modification in Japanese law to occur, MAFF and MHLW must go through the following required steps. (Currently the Japanese are at step number three.)

That's Japan's position which doesn't support your bias so you ignore it and continue right on with your "JUST TEST THEM, JUST TEST THEM" programmed R-CULT rhetoric.

You aren't worth my time anymore.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
SH (previous): "To the contrary, more and more proof comes out daily that Japan has realized the errors in this "CONSUMER DECEPTION" plan of Sandblaster's."

Sandblaster (typical question everything response): "Is that right? Where did you come up with that?"

SH, "New ground rules Sandblaster. I am so sick of your "question everything you disagree with but bring nothing to support the position you do agree with" debate tactics that I will no longer be answering your questions and doing your research for you unless you bring something to warrant the question.

You just choose to ignore what I "bring".

SH,"With my history of accuracy in supporting my position on the multitude of issues we cover here (packer concentration, captive supplies, "M"COOL, trade surplus, supply and demand factors, etc. etc.), I feel I know longer have to prove myself and certainly not to the likes of you."

Your history of accuracy? :D :D :D Thanks, a good hearty belly laugh is a great way to start the day.

SH, "If you bring nothing, you get nothing. Like I said before, you aren't looking for the truth, you are looking for the chink in the armour and frankly, I'm sick of it."

You just hate it when somebody calls your cards. I'm not real impressed with you demanding others to back their statements and you will not. I'm not real impressed with you calling others blamers and then being the biggest blamer on the board. I'm not real impressed with you calling others biased when you hold the biggest bias here.

SH,"This is the last question I will answer for you until you start supporting your position with factual information instead of endless rhetoric."

YOU JUST READ THIS..............

a) The "blanket BSE testing" policy must be modified. Currently, Japanese law requires that 100% of cattle (regardless of age) must be tested at harvest for BSE. This law must be modified to eliminate the domestic policy testing requirement for cattle under 20 months of age. In order for this modification in Japanese law to occur, MAFF and MHLW must go through the following required steps. (Currently the Japanese are at step number three.)

That's Japan's position which doesn't support your bias so you ignore it and continue right on with your "JUST TEST THEM, JUST TEST THEM" programmed R-CULT rhetoric.

SH, you are the only one who lives in the world of NCBA fairies, USDA pixies, and R-CALF trolls. You bring out "facts" to "support" your positions, and they are generally not supportive of them at all! This right here is a prime example. The statement above is not because "Japan has realized the errors", it is because the US is forcing this upon them! They would not be changing a thing were it not for our pressure! Do you honestly think intelligent people who have been following this actually believe you? Just because you want something to be and say it to be doesn't make it so.

SH, "You aren't worth my time anymore."

THANK YOU!

How many of you guys are considering the culture of Japan? I have never been there personally but have talked with those that have conducted extensive business there.

Descisions are made in a much different way in cultures where the most important thing is saving face. Many Japanese leaders no doubt recognize their border will open to western grain fed beef. However just because they do, they can't immediately open it. First they have to allow each group involved to change their views without seeming to change their original descision, or at least with out saying they were wrong.

The ball is rolling now patience will be necessary. If R-calf keeps doing stupid things like pushing court action that causes one party to lose face, the Japanese will back off.

This isn't a matter that can be forced. To force the Japanese into anything is a humiliation. Thay have used that humiliation before to become a world economic power and the second largest consuming nation in the world, next to the USA.

The Japanese are smart and know they need to feed their consumption, both in dollars and in products. Trying to out push them in a trade war might be harder than you could imagine. Look at the level of investment they have accomplished in North America with no free trade deal!

Latest posts