• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

SandPoints

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cattleman

Reaction score
Reading some other discussions on Hauling water. I was just wondering how many people use Sandpoints to access groundwater?

I guess, I grew up with them as we have lots of sandy soil and fairly high water table, but for those who are not familiar with them they are basically a perforated pipe (perforated for about 3 feet or so, that you can basically work down into the ground into a vein of water, and you can suck the water up as it passes throught the pipe/point. (To get them made, you have to bring a sample of sand so they can be specifically made so they don't let sand in but just the water.

Secondly, am wondering if we can get a solar pump that will suck out of a sandpoint? Currently we use an electric pump at home and gas motor off site.

Thanks!

Neat, how old is your sandpoint. Know anyone using a solar system to pull off one?

I think I only put it in last year. The wind mill keeps sucking on it pretty good. I'm sure a solar system would work if you had the right pump. My solar systems are floating pumps out in the dug out pumping into a 1000 gal. tank with a float switch on it.

Pretty quiet thread...thanks for the response. Yeah solar pumps work well out of dugouts. Our Sandpoint is over 30 years old. Pumps pretty good with a gas engine. Will have to try solar...maybe can get some money to pay for part of the pump!

We have a few places where seeps come to the surface here and there. I've often thought about putting in a sandpoint or a springbox to see if we could get something worth pumping out of. Usually where we find the seep, is where there's 2 seams of clay and sand meeting. Not sure how you'd go about installing the pipe to make sure you get it just right - trial and error I suppose.

I don't see why any kind of pump wouldn't work off solar for it though. RSL and many other folks have put together solar pumping systems with cheap pumps found at supply stores, and cheap panels ordered online. You can slap together a solar pumping system much cheaper yourself, than buying the name brand ones. A small bilge pump would probably do the trick.

I don't know much about sandpoints. We have a couple of neighbours that have just pounded pipes into hillside springs and gotten good flow, but sandpoints are pretty uncommon around here.
There are lots of options for pumping out of a well casing. Some of the pumps are a bit pricey, but if you want high flow without a ton of lift for a well casing look at a SHURFLO 9300. The next step up is a lorentz or dankoff submersible. Some of those will lift 200+ feet.
If the sandpoint has enough diameter to get the pump in and the lift is not too high a bilge pump would work, or some of the 12/24 volt utility pumps will even draw up to 14 feet at 5GPM.

I've used a Grunfos solar submersible but if there's sand suspended in the water (especially real fine sand), the impellers can get stuck.

Well the beauty of the sandpoint, is there is no sand in the line that get to the pumps, so that is not an issue.

But there is no casing or much diameter with a sandpoint, it is just 2 inch pipe attached to the sandpoint up to the surface.

We will just have to try a pump out and see how it works.

Thanks for the comments.

The Grundfos submersible wouldn't work on a 2" but I think they make a surface mount/solar powered pump that might. The pumps are fairly inexpensive; it's the solar panels that get ya.

Latest posts