• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Saturday, January 6, 2010

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
KnifethatSparkymadeforhisbrother.jpg

Knife that Sparky made for his brother's 21st birthday
TheothersideoftheKosmoKidsnewknife.jpg

The other side of the Kosmo Kid's new knife. It is made from a file and has been through all the hardening processes.
It should last a long time if it doesn't get lost. :wink:
Sparky-1.jpg

Sparky
Thefinishedbeltgrinder.jpg

His belt grinder is completely finished now.
Withbuffingwheelontheside.jpg

With buffing wheel on the side
Fallcalversoutroughingitinthehills.jpg

Fall calvers out roughing it in the hills
Theyhavebeenhereforamonth.jpg

They have been here for just a month. They were young cows that came up open last fall. Bulls were turned with them from November 1st
until January 1st. We fed them hay and cake up until the first week of January, and since then they have been in the hills.
They have left-over summer grass, water, salt, mineral, and all the soapweeds they could possibly desire.
Checkingmeout.jpg

Checking me out
Somearestartingtoeatsoapweeds.jpg

Some are starting to eat soapweeds.
Ontheskyline.jpg

On the skyline
Frostinfrontoffaces.jpg

Frost in front of faces
Nottoofatandnottooskinny.jpg

Not too fat and not too skinny
Standingblacktoblack.jpg

Standing black to black
Eatingasoapweed.jpg

Eating soapweeds
Greenvegiesaregoodforyou.jpg

Green veggies are supposed to be good for you.
Sharing.jpg

Yuccaing it up while sharing soapweeds.
Thesesoapweedsarenttoobadtothetaste.jpg

They evidently aren't too bad to the taste.
Thereisquantitytobehad.jpg

There is plenty of quantity to be had.
AbitofHerefordheritagebehind.jpg

A bit of Hereford heritage behind
Itmustbegood.jpg

It must be good.
Rustlersoftherange.jpg

Rustlers of the range

Looks like snow would bridge on the Soapweed so they can knock it off pretty easily. A tree blew on the fence yesterday and mine took off on a graze-left their hay. Those fall calvers look in good rig.

Northern Rancher said:
Looks like snow would bridge on the Soapweed so they can knock it off pretty easily. A tree blew on the fence yesterday and mine took off on a graze-left their hay. Those fall calvers look in good rig.

Cows won't usually eat soapweeds, so I am kind of proud of these girls for figuring it out. There is plenty of grass in the pasture, so they really aren't being starved into eating the yucca plants.

I was too busy looking at the grazing to mention the good job on that knife-I think by the design Sparky has maybe field dressed one or two-looks pretty practical to me.

You could always paint the handle orange...like the hay cutter :shock: :p

I'm kiddin. Nice lookin knife!

I thought the only part they ate was the white pods before they open up in the spring/summer.

salt grass flats said:
I HAVE HEARD ABOUT TWO SANDHILLS RANCHERS i KNOW THAT SENT SAMPLE OF THE SOAPWEED IN AND IT TESTED IN THE HIGH 20"S FOR PROTEIN. NOT BAD HUH?

There is some pretty good grass in this pasture. I am thinking that there has to be some grass for roughage and energy, and then the cows will possibly eat the soapweeds. I've seen cattle in pastures where there is practically no grass and lots of soapweeds, and even though the cattle look a little tough, they still won't eat the soapweeds. Herefords are just naturally better at eating yucca, and maybe it takes a bit of Hereford blood in a cow to figure the deal out. If the others will observe, there is a chance they can figure it out, too. :wink:

I was asking the owner of the ranch where I hunt what was the deal with some long-handled pruning hooks he has hanging under the bunkhouse porch. He said back in the long drouth in the 50's, his Dad made them so he could cut mistletoe down out of the mesquite trees for the cows to eat. He said one cow developed such a liking for it that she'd stand on her hind legs like a goat and eat the ones she could reach.

The covering of snow probably softened the soapweed some. I know our cows do better winter grazing with a light covering of snow to soften the grass.

Sharp looking knife. I will have to show it to my SIL. He built one for him self and I made the sheath, Next one is MINE. I will try to get a picture posted soon. He doesn't have quite the shop and tools that Sparky has but did a nice job on his first attempt. :D

Seeing Soaps cows eat soapweeds reminds me of the two fellas met for their morning coffee, one says, well I sold my hunting dogs this week just couldn't afford to feed them anymore. His friend says, well you should go down to the grocery store and get all those day old vegtables they give away like I do. He says, well, my dogs wouldn't eat day old vegatables, friend says, mine wouldn't either first 7 days.

efb said:
Seeing Soaps cows eat soapweeds reminds me of the two fellas met for their morning coffee, one says, well I sold my hunting dogs this week just couldn't afford to feed them anymore. His friend says, well you should go down to the grocery store and get all those day old vegtables they give away like I do. He says, well, my dogs wouldn't eat day old vegatables, friend says, mine wouldn't either first 7 days.

Or,

The fella that had a horse and no hay. So he traded the horse for three tons of hay. The nice man he traded with was then kind enough to loan the horse back until the hay was gone. :wink:

gcreekrch said:
efb said:

Or,

The fella that had a horse and no hay. So he traded the horse for three tons of hay. The nice man he traded with was then kind enough to loan the horse back until the hay was gone. :wink:

Sounds about like the way I do stuff. :roll: Once I traded four work horses (valued at $1000 each) for a brand new Little Dickens horse drawn bale feeder priced at $4000. Since I no longer had a team to pull the bale feeder with, I borrowed my neighbor's big pair of mules when I needed them, and let him feed them the rest of the time. :wink:

Latest posts