• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

sav 8180 traveler 004

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nd

Reaction score
anyone use him? what's your experience? what's his semen worth?

He's pretty good I think. I used him in '04 and '05. The females I got out of him are real nice. I have three 1st calvers with calves on the ground now. Awesome udders. They are a little bigger than I expected them to be, but pretty nice cows. I have 5 heifers to breed this spring and they are doing pretty well.

He's pretty unpredictable on birth weight I think. I've had 75 lb calves and 100 lb calves. I've used him on 2nd calvers and older cows.

The cattle are pretty thick too, thats one thing that I have really liked about him.

He's priced at $40 through Genex

I don't breed blacks and have never seen a calf sired by him but I saw him at the stud and he was my kind of bull. Most bulls at the stud will turn your stomach instead of your head but I kind of like this bull. I'd use him.

I thought I would like him, but now I'm not so sure.

Some of the comments I have heard is that they get pretty big
and that they could eat you out of house and home.

Talked to a purebred breeder today that stopped and looked
at some at another purebred ranch and he said they definitely
were not the best bull calves in the pens.

One thing about it, there are plenty of them offered for sale this
year. Everyone bred to him it seems.

FWIW...

Talk to an honest breeder that has used him and you'll here that the calves are very inconsistent some good some not very good they described him as average at best.For an 8180 son I would use Sitz Alliance 6595.

thanks for the comments, looking for a $20-25 bull to use on a commercial herd. good females, high ww's and consistency, a must. what are your suggestions for a proven bull that never misses.

The bull that never misses hasn't been born yet unfortunately-the old AAR Really Windy bull left some really practical females around my neck of the woods-his carcass e.p.d's aren't super but his bull calves ultrasound quite well-he'll breed some of the wild out of the EXT cattle. Has anybody used much KCF Bennet Total-how are they disposition wise-other than the EXT in his pedigree I quite like him-not sure how Genex has him priced stateside.

Northern Rancher said:
The bull that never misses hasn't been born yet unfortunately-the old AAR Really Windy bull left some really practical females around my neck of the woods-his carcass e.p.d's aren't super but his bull calves ultrasound quite well-he'll breed some of the wild out of the EXT cattle. Has anybody used much KCF Bennet Total-how are they disposition wise-other than the EXT in his pedigree I quite like him-not sure how Genex has him priced stateside.

He's priced at $18 maybe the alliance calmness leveled out the ext.We AI'ed to 6595 and those calves we have are very calm and quiet I used him on some cows that are hot heads the daughters from them seem to be real gentle.

How are the feet on your 6595's -he seems a little weak heeled for me. I haven't seen Bennet Total in the flesh yet but some people whose eyes I trust say he's very good on his feet. Check out that Bennet Total daughter in the catalogue she was bred by a canny old Scotchman on the Saskatchewan prairie-Isla Bank has bred alot of good black cattle over the years up here. I imagine your cattle run on some peaty ground there too Denny-we really have to watch feet up here or they skiwhiff on you pretty fast-not alot of abrasive soil or hills to help keep them worn off.

elf shoes, sled runners, etc.

NR the 004 bulls front feet were the kind that look like crab claws. They were big enough but I didn't care for the way they were made that way.

To get back to 004, they are gonna be big typed cattle with alot of gut and muscle. There could be some inconsistency with his calves, which I will admit I have seen on the twenty some calves I have had out of him the past two years. Lots of bulls will have that inconsistency. But, I have been to Schaff's sale the past two years also, won't make it this year, and it is impressive to see the robots they have bred by him. If you want to see consistency, go compare the 004's there.

I think for a son to use out of him, the Density bull looks as though he would be the one I would use. Out of all the studs, I think Genex has the best sons of 004.

I saw a large group of bred heifrs by Bennett Total and they looked like a pretty good group. They were a good representation of what replacements should be. The right size for their age, real angular, real feminine. The one thing I noticed was that they could have been a little better structured on the legs. It's hard to tell if that was from the sire or the dam though. But like NR was saying, you really need to watch for weak pasterns on some Alliance cattle.

You gotta like that Bennett Total. I'm suprised on the low marks on
teat size though, considering his pedigree. I did notice they mark
his foot angle much better than 6595's, so some improvement has
been made there. Yea, I do like Bennett Total. Thanks for pointing
him out.

Another bull that I really like is the KMK Alliance 187.
I think we will buy sons of his this year to add to our bull battery.
I talked with a local purebred breeder just yesterday who
has used him and he says he likes both the bulls and the heifers
out of him. He says they grow really well, and then slow down
and turn into very moderate cattle. Fits our program...I liked that
bull when he first appeared in ABS catalog. I liked him so much
that I recommended him neighbors who asked my opinion on
what to breed to.

This local PB breeder also says that there seems to be alot of
interest in his Crook Mountain Really Windy bull lately.

Denny, you got the same thing I did when finding out about
004...inconsistency.

Northern Rancher said:
Ohh you can stick a popcan between them lol.
Maybe not a pop can but you could wedge a golf ball in there, or a rock. I'd wonder down the road if those toes wouldn't cause some foot trouble. He had enough foot and heel though.

Really Windy's will get to heavy and too tall for you, FH.

I've heard good things about him, but he was by far the sorriest aged bull in the barn when I was in Billings in '05.

Maybe he aged poorly. What would that say about his daughters?

I see the Crook Mt bull you are refering is the result of a mating where the sire and dam were quite different for MW EPD. Maybe the Hero influence would pull this Really Windy son down. Benefit of the doubt, perhaps, but risky.

Badlands

FH lots of good aged Windy daughters running up here -that aren't too big or too tall. You need to make a Canadian roadtrip and see some cattle. They have lots of rib and work well in the shortgrass country in Alberta-pretty close to same grass like where you are. Most aged bulls that have spent their life in an A'I stud age poorly-most cattlemen would have figured that one out by now.

I agree on the assesement on the 6595 progeny's feet. They tend to not be quite straight enough. With that said they are good dispositioned calf raisers that will keep you in the business.

I was wondering if anyone has seen any Woodhill Foresight progeny? Pedigree and #'s seem intriguing to me. FWIW he is a Papa Forte X Bon View Gammer 85 son.

Dang it, NR.

Here I was just getting to think I liked the way you think! :wink:

Seriously though, FH doesn't need to look at them. The bull does not fit the picture she has described here over time.

Fed to the same BCS, his daughters will outweigh her ideal by about 250 pounds. She has 1200 pounders out of 15-25 MW EPD bulls, this guy would make daughters weigh 1500 to be in the same rig.

Really Windy is in the top 6% for MW, and in the top 25% for mature height, and he is fairly high accuracy for both.

I would believe that by looking at him. There were at least 6-8 head of other bulls his age or older and none of them looked as bad.

It is true that some might age badly in the stud, but I would still stay away from the worst, and not make an excuse for him.

Badlands

Latest posts