• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

say jersey lilly

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
I read where you took the "AI" course in college station,what did you think of it?worth the money,I was reminded yesterday about being enrolled in one for this fall I think they said its Bovine Elite at college Station? .................good luck

That's where I took it...at Bovine Elite. Was a very informative class. Not only is it A-I and palpation it covers nutrition and mineral stuff too. The only thing I didnt like about it was the critters we had to work on for the A-I and palpating were packer cows. But after taking the course I see why they use them. Good golly some of them men I swear they shouldn't be allowed to have a A-I gun.....they looked like they were shootin pool with a knittin needle~!!!!!!!!

Oh somethin else, if you ever want to take a refresher course after taking it once....it's free. You can come back as long as ya set it up with them and they have room in their class size. Might be interesting to do maybe on a 5 year basis to learn about all the New Stuff.

This is kind of a hard to believe story, but the woman I talked to swears that it is true.

Down in the Big Hole in Montana some people (and she even gave me their name, so that lends credibility to the story) ROPE their cows and choke them down. The guy holds the cow with his horse and the woman gets off hers and AI's the cow!!! And they get 80% conception rate!!!!!!!!!!

Here the rest of us are tip-toeing around when AI'ing!!

Not that I think this is a system that should be promoted! I can't imagine doing this, but truth is stranger than fiction. It must be true, or who would have thought of it!

I do know for a fact, that they head and heel yearlings down there with four wheelers because it is so boggy. Horses have a hard time in the swamps in the Big Hole and there is a lot of foot rot in that area.

Thanks for the info Ladies,I am gonna try to get outta this deal if some of the boys let me,we were socializing one evening and I said I would go never believeing I would have to, but it looks like I put my foot in it,I really don't see how I would gain anything from the classes,I haul these ole black bulls from the hill country to south TX and back again,IM pleased with the results.............good luck

Faster horses I got some ocean front property in Sask. I'll sell you-it might of worked once but not on a regular basis. Wonder where she packs her semen tank while the roping takes place. Even an old muskkeg cowboy like me was able to get those montana cows to the A'I' pen last time I worked down there lol.

You better send those Big Hole boys up here on a horse buying mission-if you can drive a four wheeler there-there's no reason why your horse can't go the same place. One thing about going down in a muskkeg on a hot day that loonshit mud is cool and refreshing and the mosquitoes don't sting through it lol.

Jersey I was asking one of my branding crew buddies about pulling calves by your horses tail. He said when they crossed the river and couldn't get a calf across they used to tie them to an old saddle mare and she'd swim them across tied to her tail. Our river crossings here are kinda tough as we don't have much room to hold a herd to get them to swim-usually lots of brush and swampy ground around them. Guys here pull horses out of the mud by their tails too instead of their neck-I've never had one stuck quite that bad yet. Usually just pull off the saddle and get a switch for inspiration lo.

Latest posts