• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

say Per, about hay presevative...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy

Reaction score
with showers every2 or 3 days and high humidity levels it's tough to get any baling done. could you or anyone else point me in the right direction for hay preservative use. who's the dealer? where do you get it? application kit's?and as with everthing what will it add to the cost. Thank-you all for any input

am so sorry for those of you in the drought area, have had first hand experience with dry and hopper's etc. and know that it's no fun :!:

too much moisture present's problem's as well, We are a picky bunch

:wink: :lol:

Hey Hayguy, I use a product called Haysaver made by Bio Agronics out of Winnipeg

http://www.bioagronics.com/biagabout.html

I can't find it on their website but their contact info is on there. It is made of lactic acid and acidophilus and is liquid. I am comfortable baling at 30% moisture and usually keep using it even when dry. I keeps the leave soft and palatable and for sure the cows will pick a bale that has be treated before one that hasn't. I actually buy it off of a friend in Sask who orders it and has it shipped direct from Winnipeg. Give me a call and I will give you his name and number.

I have an applicater for dry preservative. I have never used it, but knew a guy by Calgary that used it most times. He used a product call haymate. It is a Gandy applicater. It mounts above the pickup and blows the powder on to the hay as it is being feed into the baler pickup. If you are interested you can see it on Lethbridge Kijiji in farm equipment for sale under hay preservative applicater for sale. I was asking $100.00, but have had no calls, so I think we are not too far apart you can have it for picking it up. One thing you might think about, is that it puts a taste onto the hay that horses don't like. Cattle are ok.

thanx for the offer JASG, but seeing as 90% of my hay goes to horse I will respectfully decline. I've heard that before about horses not likeing the taste of the powder. from what i can find out the liquid does'nt seem to bother them. where about's are you located?

I have used the liquid acid type and the dry power type. Have applicators for both. Seems I always pushed the limit anyways so don't use either now. I think I might have made a sprayer for the quad out of the liquid one. :?

OK We are just east of Lethbridge. When we have had hay that was not curring I have an inverter the picks up the hay and behind the pickup teeth is a big plastic fin that flips the swath upside down on dry ground. It works very good. Just had to learn how to operate it properly. It took 2-3 years, but now I will not part with it as long as we have hay. The biggest problem was the guy driving the tractor. I'll assure you I know more about using this inverter than the salesman that sold it to me will ever know. If you are near Lethbridge PM me and I'll gab to you, if you like.

we use the liquid acid. neighbor uses the dry powder.... our hay don't turn brown, his does.

to me, the liquid hit the hay, and is on the hay...the powder shakes off too easy.

pretty expenxive to put on, but well worth the cost if it keeps the hay from discoloring.

for more info, or to order call ..... spring creek ag products in Deshler Nebraska.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I have used the liquid acid type and the dry power type. Have applicators for both. Seems I always pushed the limit anyways so don't use either now. I think I might have made a sprayer for the quad out of the liquid one. :?

That's exactly why we quit using the preservatives. Either way we seemed to be pushing the limits, and spoiled hay with no preservative is cheaper than spoiled hay with the chemical on.
I think it's a great idea, it's just me recognizing my own limitations and working with them :D

Silver said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

That's exactly why we quit using the preservatives. Either way we seemed to be pushing the limits, and spoiled hay with no preservative is cheaper than spoiled hay with the chemical on.
I think it's a great idea, it's just me recognizing my own limitations and working with them :D
That is what got my dad and I golfing. We always had tough bales by starting too early. A round of golf in the morning made sure we never started too early.

per said:
Silver said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

That is what got my dad and I golfing. We always had tough bales by starting too early. A round of golf in the morning made sure we never started too early.

Per, you have a good philosophy on Life. Happiness is the journey, not the destination. :wink:

thanx to all who replied,sorry took so long getting back.actually had dry hay and had to go baleing :lol: got done what we had down just in time for another thunder shower. i know that it depends on the moisture content but what are the cost's to treat a bale or ton?

we used to shoot some clay pigeon's while waiting for the morning dew to come off :wink: Per and i should get together, he could drive the golf ball and i could put enough lead in the air that it might fly into it :lol: :lol:

on the liquid, you set the monitor to the weight of the bale you intend to produce, then set three different levels of application....the star wheels read the moisture of the hay as you bale, and apply the correct amount.
we start putting level one on at 17% moisture, at 20 % moisture it goes to level 2 , at 24% it goes to level 3 , and at 27 all three come on and spray....

I like to bale hay at 15 to 18% moisture, it seems to keep the most leaves, and weighs the best for shipping. plus as it dries in the bale, you do not have as much shrink.

we have baled fields at 25% moisture and never had and heat or spoilage thanks to the liquid.

Latest posts