• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Scaling babies

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Spanish Johhny

Reaction score
where the deer and the antelope play AB CA
What does everybody use for weighing newborns? Using the bathroom scales but would like something more accurate. Nasco had a pretty good sling years ago that would strap front and back so the little duffer wouldn't slipout. Lent that one out, never saw it again and to use the slings available today is like trying to weigh a green garbage bag half full of jello! I may have to make one......................

I tie all four legs together then hook the scale and lift it off the ground read the scale when the calf is completely lifted. Works good but 100# calves you better be a tough SOB. As I'm getting older I'm leaning more towards a platform scale.I bought one from the place that advertise's on the cover page here on ranchers B&B Scales it's still in the box but with a plat form type scale you could have it set up in a barn on a trailer or in a pickup just throw the calf in and weigh.

Denny said:
I tie all four legs together then hook the scale and lift it off the ground read the scale when the calf is completely lifted. Works good but 100# calves you better be a tough SOB. As I'm getting older I'm leaning more towards a platform scale.I bought one from the place that advertise's on the cover page here on ranchers B&B Scales it's still in the box but with a plat form type scale you could have it set up in a barn on a trailer or in a pickup just throw the calf in and weigh.

I have seen a A frame on the front of a 4 wheeler and a winch to do the lifting to weigh. :)

We use our single animal scale. The bars are portable so for calving season they go to the barn, once we're done they go back under the cage.

I did the tape thing one year and also weighed the calves, most of the time is was within 5 lbs, but there were enough that were out by 10+ lbs that I gave up on it.

We built a sling to put around a calf and then a 200lb hanging scale with a 4 foot bar through the hook on top. Just lift the calf's feet off the ground and look fast. :D 2 person operation but weighed lots of calves thataway. :D One guy can do it alone, but it's tough to read the scale when your eyeballs are bulged out 9 inches lifting the calf. :shock:

Leanin H you need to rethink that Jersey bull. Even us older guys should be able to hang one of them little fellows on the scale. :lol:

mwj said:
Leanin H you need to rethink that Jersey bull. Even us older guys should be able to hang one of them little fellows on the scale. :lol:

During the 1980's Utah State University conducted all sorts of tests with everything from Chianinas to velociraptors in the crossbreeding programs chasing carcass data. I well remember weighing new calves that almost outweighed me. Our little bunch averages 80 pound birth weights so my weighing data is an estimate using my highly calibrated eye balls. :wink:

But you are right. A 3 year old jersey would still be under a hundred pounds. :D :D :D Kidding you jersey appreciators! :D :wink:

I have given it some thought and I am thinking a digital bathroom scale and a laundry basket/storage tub would work best. Toss calf into laundry basket and lay on top of scale. Digital scale would give a quick read.

leanin' H said:
mwj said:

During the 1980's Utah State University conducted all sorts of tests with everything from Chianinas to velociraptors in the crossbreeding programs chasing carcass data. I well remember weighing new calves that almost outweighed me. Our little bunch averages 80 pound birth weights so my weighing data is an estimate using my highly calibrated eye balls. :wink:

But you are right. A 3 year old jersey would still be under a hundred pounds. :D :D :D Kidding you jersey appreciators! :D :wink:

"my weighing data is an estimate using my highly calibrated eye balls"

Exactly! After a lifetime of looking, one's 'occular appraisal' becomes phenomenally 'spot on'---I personally can almost always guess a chicken's weight, within 5 pounds or so--seldom miss.

littlejoe said:
leanin' H said:
mwj said:

"my weighing data is an estimate using my highly calibrated eye balls"

Exactly! After a lifetime of looking, one's 'occular appraisal' becomes phenomenally 'spot on'---I personally can almost always guess a chicken's weight, within 5 pounds or so--seldom miss.

There used to be a notice on a bulletin board in a local feed store:

For Sale: One good used henway

Someone would ask, "What's a henway?" The proprietor would answer, "About four pounds." :)

I use a 7ft long piece of conduit. I welded a ring about 6 inches from one end to hang scale on. With the ring 6 inches in from the end you have a hand hold to lift by. I use a calf strap with a ring sewed in the center of the strap.. hook it on one front leg and one back leg and hook the ring in the center of the scale, lift the calf off the ground. The scale is about eye level and easy to read.

Latest posts