• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Scour boss 9

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Evans

Reaction score
In Canada anyway my understanding is when they sell what is at the vet's then that's it. Wont be able to even order it. Nothing available 2023.
If you use it better buy it now.

When we started feeding mineral back in 1994, we eliminated scours. We stopped vaccinating for it except in the 2 and 3 year olds. We had a bad spring storm in 1997 and couldn't get the young cows (or any cows for that matter) to the barn to vaccinate them. We never had any problems after that, so we stopped vaccinating for scours all together. Actually we only gave Blackleg shots at branding and nothing else. Feeding mineral changed a lot of things for us. Made running cattle MUCH easier. Mr FH said the only downside was that he couldn't rope very good anymore because he didn't have to. 😁
I remember he had to run horseback and rope a calf that had swelled up after branding. It was so strange because he hadn't had to do that for years.

Truly, it is all about the immune system which is enhanced when feeding mineral.
I sat in on a meeting held by Ft. Dodge years ago and even they said the vaccines work better
when the cattle are on a mineral program.

I believe some areas can be different than others. 30 miles can make a difference.
At my current location it was terrible before scour boss. All neighbors use it to.
30 miles west of here scours was never a big deal and I dont think anyone vaccinated for it

Do what mineral you guys figgure they are deficient of.
I keep high boot in front of everything all the time because foot rote is a big deal( Angus influence)

I don't know what High Boot is.
How far are you from gcreek? He has figured out a good mineral for his area.
You are right, areas can be different. It's still how good their immune system is wherever you are.
Our cows had the best of conditions in SW Montana and we had sickness in the calves for 8 years. No one knew what the problem was. We moved to SE Montana in 1993 and the calves got sick. Same deal. We got the sales manager for mineral out there in 1994 and he took one look and told us we had copper deficiency. We started on the mineral in Feb and it made a huge difference that very first year, even though he said it would take a while.

We have taken grass samples all over that area and found basically the same thing. Only on one ranch did we need to have a custom mineral made. Our place had a lot of gumbo and the cattle didn't eat mineral very well, but we kept it in front of them and they ate what they needed, because we had excellent herd health, better weaning weights and good breed-up. Keep in mind, we kept the mineral out all the time. Mr. FH kept a diary of when he put it out and we figured it for the entire year. Year in and year out the consumption for the year was 2.7 oz/hd/da. That was below the recommendation, but the first rule of mineral comes into play: Quality and quantity of forage dictates mineral consumption.
We used over consumption as a management tool; an indication the cattle needed to be moved to a fresh pasture. When we moved them, consumption dropped way down. You can't fool an old cow, she will let you know what is happening with the forage. Just like putting out a bad bale of hay and a good bale, they will eat the good bale first every time.

after testing cows, hay and forage we upped phosphorous, copper, and maxed out selenium. back there selenium too much in soil west of us in Soda Springs Idaho and south down Kemmerer Wy way. Here we use a local mix, more C than P, with the sheep around there not much copper on anything. We give oil based C&D shots after birth then 7 way at branding seem like calves get a bit older we get exotocimia (Purple Gut-over eating) when thing get just right. Thought have seen it here since we moved , but help one neighbor that vaccinated preg , cow at check time with C&D

FH,High Boot is just Organic Iodine for foot rot. Evans is down in south east Alberta if I got it figures right .North of Havre.
Taraus Premix out of Cardston could mix you a custom blend. I could post a picture of my mineral feed tag of what I have been using. Faster Horses could tell you if it's any good.

High boot is a mineral salt block they sell at UFA. Works so well most including me are a bit scared to try something new. If you read the high boot bags I think they say it provides 40% of cows copper requirements. The stuff is expensive like everything else I guess. Ive been buying blocks. Before if I bought the loose bags of high boot . I used to feed it in old tire feeders but it still seemed like the wind would blow so much of it away.
With the scour boss vaccine and changing my water a bit. Before it was to concentrated or they only had one place to water . they had to come into corral to water and then they would hang around afterwards.
But now I haven't been having as much scour trouble.
Are certain cattle breeds more likely to get foot rot? I think red Angus are way more likely to get it. The bull in picture is Hereford. Normally I dont have foot trouble with Hereford.
Some red Angus bloodlines seem worse with feet than others. I cull for bad feet but sometimes I would keep heifers from a cow only to discover after the cow got some age on her that her feet were not that good. I have lots of red Angus that are z and still have perfect feet. So genetics seem to be part of it.

First, you have to make sure it is hoof rot.
We had a customer who called because he said he was having a lot of hoof rot.
So I went there with my ASM and looked the cows over. It wasn't hoof rot.
Those cows had poor feet. He was feeding cake and they were running after the cake wagon.
It had snowed and melted...and got really cold so everything was a skating rink. The
cows, after chasing the cake wagon (and I mean running) then had to walk back to water.
Their feet couldn't stand that, so they wound up with sand cracks and some had the low
pasterns where their hooves grew out and made it painful to walk. They had 20 head in the corral to treat. The vet had been selling them anti-biotics and sulfa boluses.He had never gone to the ranch to take a look. We asked if he had taken temps on the cows before they were treated and he hadn't. The vet never said anything about that. We had a cow thermometer with us and gave it to him. We said to temp them when they were run through the chute. He came back and told us that of those 20, only one had a temp that indicated it might be hoof rot.
Feeding mineral helps the quality of the hoof so that they can stand more stress. We used to get hoof rot and it was awful. Sometimes we couldn't stop it and it would go up the leg. That was before we were on a mineral program. After that, when cows had to walk on ice, one might show up a little 'off' when walking. We just waited it out and in a couple of days those cows were fine.

What is the source of copper in your Hi Boot? Is there any zinc? Supplementing zinc really helps with footrot. Getting the copper and zinc ratio out of whack can cause problems.

I'm glad you are seeing good results with Hi Boot. If it works, it's far beyond me to have you change anything but I'd sure be feeding a loose mineral. I would take a look at what Big Muddy is using. One other thing, I would never depend on a block to get salt and/or mineral into a cow. They get tired of licking before they get their daily requirments and walk away.

Feeding mineral helps with many things. That's not just me talking, it's customer feedback for 28 years.

Good luck!!

Evans, is it only Scour Bos 9 that you won't be able to get, or any scour vaccine? We switched to Guardian last year, it is a little more expensive. Doesn't cause quite the injection site reaction and is supposed to have better E. coli protection.
We would like to quit using any but are chicken. The people who were here before us had HUGE out breaks. We are on a good mineral program and have thought about adding bio moss for scours. We never have a problem but don't want one either!

First, you have to make sure it is hoof rot.
We had a customer who called because he said he was having a lot of hoof rot.
So I went there with my ASM and looked the cows over. It wasn't hoof rot.
Those cows had poor feet. He was feeding cake and they were running after the cake wagon.
It had snowed and melted...and got really cold so everything was a skating rink. The
cows, after chasing the cake wagon (and I mean running) then had to walk back to water.
Their feet couldn't stand that, so they wound up with sand cracks and some had the low
pasterns where their hooves grew out and made it painful to walk. They had 20 head in the corral to treat. The vet had been selling them anti-biotics and sulfa boluses.He had never gone to the ranch to take a look. We asked if he had taken temps on the cows before they were treated and he hadn't. The vet never said anything about that. We had a cow thermometer with us and gave it to him. We said to temp them when they were run through the chute. He came back and told us that of those 20, only one had a temp that indicated it might be hoof rot.
Feeding mineral helps the quality of the hoof so that they can stand more stress. We used to get hoof rot and it was awful. Sometimes we couldn't stop it and it would go up the leg. That was before we were on a mineral program. After that, when cows had to walk on ice, one might show up a little 'off' when walking. We just waited it out and in a couple of days those cows were fine.

What is the source of copper in your Hi Boot? Is there any zinc? Supplementing zinc really helps with footrot. Getting the copper and zinc ratio out of whack can cause problems.

I'm glad you are seeing good results with Hi Boot. If it works, it's far beyond me to have you change anything but I'd sure be feeding a loose mineral. I would take a look at what Big Muddy is using. One other thing, I would never depend on a block to get salt and/or mineral into a cow. They get tired of licking before they get their daily requirments and walk away.

Feeding mineral helps with many things. That's not just me talking, it's customer feedback for 28 years.

Good luck!!
Next time I buy high boot I will save label to tell you what's in it.

The guy that was treating for foot rot but did not have foot rot. Do he kept giving antibiotics and viws did not respond?
Cookies? We used to he able to get what we used to call range cubes. You would order it from feed mills and they would truck it out your grain bin. Most would fill 5 gallon buckets and hand feed to cows in winter on top of sod. Is that what you mean by cookies?
I always feed hay away from water and shelter do cows have to walk so they keep in shape for calving.
I believe some genetics are more prone to feet problems. I would rather get rid of problem cows than start spending more money on inputs.

Vaccines are gone nuts in price. I haven't been vaccinating like I used to cause everything blew upnin my private life a while back.

I just bought a bunch of cattle master not realizing the price and I'm regretting it now.
However scour boss is one really good vaccine that works for my area.

Evans, is it only Scour Bos 9 that you won't be able to get, or any scour vaccine? We switched to Guardian last year, it is a little more expensive. Doesn't cause quite the injection site reaction and is supposed to have better E. coli protection.
We would like to quit using any but are chicken. The people who were here before us had HUGE out breaks. We are on a good mineral program and have thought about adding bio moss for scours. We never have a problem but don't want one either!
Scours was never a real problem until moved to current location in 2008.
Then it was horrible with 100 percent scours.
So started I think with scour guard and then after talking to neighbouring outfits went to scour boss 9.
The scour boss 9 works so I'm scared to try anything different.
I was able to buy enough scour boss 9 for me for this calving season so I'm okay.
My understanding is other brands of scour vaccine will be available.
I just don't like to try new things plus of I switch then everything will need booster shots and if it doesn't work then the following year then everything will need 2 shots again to go back to the scour boss9

Scours was never a real problem until moved to current location in 2008.
Then it was horrible with 100 percent scours.
So started I think with scour guard and then after talking to neighbouring outfits went to scour boss 9.
The scour boss 9 works so I'm scared to try anything different.
I was able to buy enough scour boss 9 for me for this calving season so I'm okay.
My understanding is other brands of scour vaccine will be available.
I just don't like to try new things plus of I switch then everything will need booster shots and if it doesn't work then the following year then everything will need 2 shots again to go back to the scour boss9
Our vets say that when switching between brands of scour vaccine you don't need to do the 2 shots. We didn't when we switched from Scour guard to Scour Bos and then from Scour Bos to Guardian.

Next time I buy high boot I will save label to tell you what's in it.

The guy that was treating for foot rot but did not have foot rot. Do he kept giving antibiotics and viws did not respond?
Cookies? We used to he able to get what we used to call range cubes. You would order it from feed mills and they would truck it out your grain bin. Most would fill 5 gallon buckets and hand feed to cows in winter on top of sod. Is that what you mean by cookies?
I always feed hay away from water and shelter do cows have to walk so they keep in shape for calving.
I believe some genetics are more prone to feet problems. I would rather get rid of problem cows than start spending more money on inputs.

Vaccines are gone nuts in price. I haven't been vaccinating like I used to cause everything blew upnin my private life a while back.

I just bought a bunch of cattle master not realizing the price and I'm regretting it now.
However scour boss is one really good vaccine that works for my area.
The cookies you are referring to, I think is what I called 'cake'. Cake is a protein molasses pellet big enough for a cow. Some call them range cubes. Heck, when I was little my uncle called them "Tomahawk". It was years later that I realized Tomahawk is who made the cake, so he just called them Tomahawk.

Yes the cattle responded to antibiotics but it was more because he kept them shut up and they weren't travelling to feed and water. By travelling, I mean miles one way and then that far back to water.

I did miss this so I'm fixing it here:

"they were running after the cake wagon.
It had snowed and melted and froze again and made it pure ice..and got really cold..."

I do agree that hoof problems can often be genetic.

The cookies you are referring to, I think is what I called 'cake'. Cake is a protein molasses pellet big enough for a cow. Some call them range cubes. Heck, when I was little my uncle called them "Tomahawk". It was years later that I realized Tomahawk is who made the cake, so he just called them Tomahawk.

Yes the cattle responded to antibiotics but it was more because he kept them shut up and they weren't travelling to feed and water. By travelling, I mean miles one way and then that far back to water.

I did miss this so I'm fixing it here:

"they were running after the cake wagon.
It had snowed and melted and froze again and made it pure ice..and got really cold..."

I do agree that hoof problems can often be genetic.
Okay yeah,like I make mine walk 1/4 mile or maybe 1/2 mile. I don't just feed them in the corral.
Since you like the loose stuff I bought a bag today. Kind of a pain for old wore out guy like me to get it into corral where the tire feeder is . Got it there anyways. Still big snow banks in corrals from before.
Wasn't worth starting tractor to drive in there for one little bag of salt.
Haha stuff gets harder,holy crap when younger you wouldn't even think about something like this and now it's like a big job Haha

Attachments

• 20221121_151450.jpg
    20221121_151450.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
That's for your horses, looks like. Good for you. Don't be surprised if they inhale it. When horses are shut up they get really bored and when they find the mineral...BINGO!! This doesn't have much salt as a limiter. Can you put out some salt with it?

Yeah, 50# seemed like nothing when we were young, now its like UGH!! 😀
Mr FH used to use a cart and a ramp when delivering mineral. 10 bags on a little pallet.
He was in really good shape then. Now it comes on a big pallet which holds 40 bags (1 ton)
so he no longer has to do that. The drawback is that when people weren't home, he could still deliver it, but now they have to be home or leave a bobcat out for the driver to unload.

That's for your horses, looks like. Good for you. Don't be surprised if they inhale it. When horses are shut up they get really bored and when they find the mineral...BINGO!! This doesn't have much salt as a limiter. Can you put out some salt with it?

Mr FH used to use a cart and a ramp when delivering mineral. 10 bags on a little pallet.
He was in really good shape then. Now it comes on a big pallet which holds 40 bags (1 ton)
so he no longer has to do that. The drawback is that when people weren't home, he could still deliver it, but now they have to be home or leave a bobcat out for the driver to unload.
When Vigortone delivered the one driver that came here liked the small pallets as it kept him in shape while driving so much, He enjoyed his time out of the truck, Then they went to the big pallets and I had to buy a pallet fork for the loader. Not a big issue as I use it lots now that I have it but then they didn't want to deliver to the yard and wanted me to find a way to move the big pallets in Plentywood, where we used to swap the little pallets,
One of the straws that broke the camel's back.

When Vigortone delivered the one driver that came here liked the small pallets as it kept him in shape while driving so much, He enjoyed his time out of the truck, Then they went to the big pallets and I had to buy a pallet fork for the loader. Not a big issue as I use it lots now that I have it but then they didn't want to deliver to the yard and wanted me to find a way to move the big pallets in Plentywood, where we used to swap the little pallets,
One of the straws that broke the camel's back.
Most all mineral comes on the big pallets, not just Vigortone. We were the last ones to have it come on small pallets.
But I hear ya, BMR and I'm sorry.
It is not the company that it once was when we delivered, not only the mineral, but SERVICE to our customers.
Like our old cowboy friend said (and I quoted this verbally just today)..."nothin's forever."

Now It would be nice if we could just get the mineral when it was ordered to come. Since Covid, nothing is the same and nothing seems to work like it did. Will we ever get back to 'normal'? I'm not counting on it. Everyone I talk to says the same thing, "we have to wait for everything we order that is delivered by truck." Trucking companies are short on drivers everywhere.

Its for my cows and horses. Its what most Angus crowds seem to use in my area

Latest posts