• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Scour boss 9

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Most all mineral comes on the big pallets, not just Vigortone. We were the last ones to have it come on small pallets.
But I hear ya, BMR and I'm sorry.
It is not the company that it once was when we delivered, not only the mineral, but SERVICE to our customers.
Like our old cowboy friend said (and I quoted this verbally just today)..."nothin's forever."

Now It would be nice if we could just get the mineral when it was ordered to come. Since Covid, nothing is the same and nothing seems to work like it did. Will we ever get back to 'normal'? I'm not counting on it. Everyone I talk to says the same thing, "we have to wait for everything we order that is delivered by truck." Trucking companies are short on drivers everywhere.
The last straw was when my order ended up in Reno and the company didn't have a driver to cross the border to deliver it. It always came as the last drop on the North Dakota run, on a company truck.

unloading a ton of cow cake in a tote on a pallet today with my bale fork was almost to the barn when it tip over , we ripped the top, So Son said he bucket I need to go get a prescription. he had over a 3rd when his mother was able to pick it up by the loops and get it into the barn.

unloading a ton of cow cake in a tote on a pallet today with my bale fork was almost to the barn when it tip over , we ripped the top, So Son said he bucket I need to go get a prescription. he had over a 3rd when his mother was able to pick it up by the loops and get it into the barn.
I hate those mini bulk bags.

That's for your horses, looks like. Good for you. Don't be surprised if they inhale it. When horses are shut up they get really bored and when they find the mineral...BINGO!! This doesn't have much salt as a limiter. Can you put out some salt with it?

Yeah, 50# seemed like nothing when we were young, now its like UGH!! 😀
Mr FH used to use a cart and a ramp when delivering mineral. 10 bags on a little pallet.
He was in really good shape then. Now it comes on a big pallet which holds 40 bags (1 ton)
so he no longer has to do that. The drawback is that when people weren't home, he could still deliver it, but now they have to be home or leave a bobcat out for the driver to unload.
I made a mistake. This mineral is 95.5% salt. How much of it are they supposed to eat?
I hope it didn't cost much more than salt.

I made a mistake. This mineral is 95.5% salt. How much of it are they supposed to eat?
I hope it didn't cost much more than salt.
I'm in bed with flu and head is spinning I can't remember cost of bag. I think by the block its 18 dollars a block. A hundred dollar bill is like a ten dollar bill a few years ago except when I go to sell something.

I'm in bed with flu and head is spinning I can't remember cost of bag. I think by the block its 18 dollars a block. A hundred dollar bill is like a ten dollar bill a few years ago except when I go to sell something.
It's the same for all of us.
Sorry you are ill. I hope you recover quickly.
We aren't going to our grandson's today for dinner as his little girl is really sick and so is his wife.

So far I just had a bit of extra sniffles this morning and that is almost gone. I had two invites for lunch and one for dinner but I opted to stay in and away from a lot of folks in close quarters and all the noise. I was fixing a stovetop dressing dish when a young lady. a friend's granddaughter stopped by with a hot plate of traditional Thanksgiving dinner and a chocolate pie on her way out to her stepmom's since this is the first year her vet stepmom hasn't been on call on Thanksgiving.

Sorry about getting off-topic (I hope) since this thread is about scours. :ROFLMAO:

So far I just had a bit of extra sniffles this morning and that is almost gone. I had two invites for lunch and one for dinner but I opted to stay in and away from a lot of folks in close quarters and all the noise. I was fixing a stovetop dressing dish when a young lady. a friend's granddaughter stopped by with a hot plate of traditional Thanksgiving dinner and a chocolate pie on her way out to her stepmom's since this is the first year her vet stepmom hasn't been on call on Thanksgiving.

Sorry about getting off-topic (I hope) since this thread is about scours. :ROFLMAO:
Aww, that was sweet of her.

If you eat all that chocolate pie in one sitting we might be back to talking about scours.

We wound up going to the daughter of our neighbors from SE Montana that has moved here with her husband and family. Our old neighbors were there so it was good to see them. We ate and played Right, left, center with dice and quarters.
The food was good and we had a great time. I'm glad we weren't home all alone.

Mineral is important for everything

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Sandhills method of calving. Environment is a huge part of scours.

Also, follow Dr Noffsingers methodology on getting calves up and going to the cow multiple times a day. It's one of the better applications of Bud Williams Stockmanship. If calves learn to be handled early, it pays off their entire life. But frequency of nursing matters.

Mineral is important for everything

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Sandhills method of calving. Environment is a huge part of scours.

Also, follow Dr Noffsingers methodology on getting calves up and going to the cow multiple times a day. It's one of the better applications of Bud Williams Stockmanship. If calves learn to be handled early, it pays off their entire life. But frequency of nursing matters.
I'm trying to think of the name of it . Dematicase earth or some friggin thing. They were selling it by the tub to cow,calf guys as a cure for scours and then they were selling it to acreage guys to kill the ants in their gardens .
I never tried it.
There are a few European guys who are basically calving in a feedlot . They must be doing something different not to have everything with scours all packed in like they are.

Evans, what makes you think their calves aren't experiencing scours and/or
I don't know these guys personally or have anything to do with them except for driving past them on road but wow when I see just a big pen crammed full of cows and they are calving in that I can't imagine how that can work.
They dont separate anything after calving either. Just leave everything crammed together in that dirty corral. Well how can that work and I see it year after year. It sure wouldn't work for me.

I don't know these guys personally or have anything to do with them except for driving past them on road but wow when I see just a big pen crammed full of cows and they are calving in that I can't imagine how that can work.
They dont separate anything after calving either. Just leave everything crammed together in that dirty corral. Well how can that work and I see it year after year. It sure wouldn't work for me.
It wouldn't work for us either. I can't imagine it would work for them. Sometimes people don't realize what healthy cattle are. Healthy cattle are normal, but when you have been dealing with health issues for so long, you forget that.
The six most dangerous words in the English language: "We've always done it that way."

It wouldn't work for us either. I can't imagine it would work for them. Sometimes people don't realize what healthy cattle are. Healthy cattle are normal, but when you have been dealing with health issues for so long, you forget that.
The six most dangerous words in the English language: "We've always done it that way."
I suspect that over in Holland agriculture is pretty intensive probably because of cost of land but you would think if you moved to a new area that you might take a look at the way successful neighbors are doing things.

Latest posts