• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Screw worms back in Texas?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TXTibbs

Reaction score
South Central Texas, former South Dakotan
had a guy come in said he took some samples and sent off for testing but thought they were screw worms.....he is an old guy and has doctored lots of screw worm in his day so i figure he should know what they look like!

Dang Tibbs that just ruined my morning coffee. I have wondered how long it would take for the worms to make it back. I grew up at the end of the eradication program. Remember my Grandfather cussing the worms and my Grandfather cussing the flys they were dropping. Most of these Southwest ranches are not run like there could be a worm problem anymore that would just make life tough screw worms on top of drought.Well hope hes mistaken and it is just a mutant warble.

I did a search on the net and discovered just how serious this screw worm can be. Do any of y'all remember back when it was so bad? How did we get rid of it? What are the chances of it coming back?
If we pour our cows twice a year, will that control it?

Yes Alabama I remember when it was bad. You spent everywaking moment riding and doctoring cattle. You tried to calve when it was cool enough that screw worms would not be as bad. It was pretty rough . They got rid of them by dropping sterilized flys to breed with the native flys and dropping them and slowly driving the flys south. There was not any Ivomec back then so I don't know if that would work or not. And they readily infest everything (even you) and only eat living flesh. Dang I hope it is not true I ride enough now as it is.

Our Governments been allowing everything else to come up from Mexico and Central America- screw worms would be no surprise :roll: !!!

Sometimes this cold country ain't so bad....

This old feller is in his early 80's and definantly remembers the Screw Worm eradication and such back in the day! He said he found the worms on a calf that a coyote had gotten ahold of and he said there were maggot type worms in him, except they appeard to be eating live flesh and he could see holes where they had drilled down into the calf.

I'll let ya'll know what he finds out.

It's been so damn nice down here in Texas that it hasn't even been cold enough to snuff out the fly's! Suppose to be a front and get to 30 tonight and maybe snow, so the flys better knit a sweater for tonight atleast!

Latest posts