• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

SEC vs Big 12 Bowl Game

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Well? What do you guys in the think?

Will this game (as part of the playoffs) outshine the Rose Bowl and make it a 2nd tier game as anticipated?

Big 10 & Pac 12 have been pretty weak on a national scale............

I don't know what to think yet, except that Slive has been biatch-slapping Delaney around pretty good.

the rose bowl has been a pathetic bowl for years.... this new bowl game will be a cash cow. they can bid it out to other cities, but I bet it bounces between Dallas and N.O. best bowl game of last year was KSU / Arkansas...

also, the rumors of Fla State and Clemson headed to the Big 12 are really getting some steam behind them....

I also like the message board in Nebraska...there is a lot of bitching that the Big Ten tv schedule is just a Ohio State / Mich love fest..... looks like they still have a "Texas" in the big 10 !! LOL ...stupid Huskers.

How about you guys down in the Big 12 invitite BYU? It will probably never happen, but i'd like to see us get in a major conference. We'd be in the PAC 12 except for a major case of religious bias at Stanford, CAL and several other schools out west. I still hate the BCS and all it stands for and will want it gone even if my Cougars get in a major conference. We simply need a fair playoff and everybody should have a chance if they have a special season, regardless of size of school or millions in a budget. Boise St., Utah (Hard to say that!) TCU and BYU have proven they can give the glamour girls all they want!

Take Two: SEC-Big 12 partnership

May, 19, 2012
May 19

12:00

PM CT

By Edward Aschoff and David Ubben | ESPN.com

The days of the Rose Bowl being the bowl of bowls could soon be coming to an end now that the SEC and the Big 12 have agreed on a five-year bowl partnership.

The new deal, announced Friday, will have the champions of the Big 12 and SEC meet in a New Year's Day bowl game annually beginning with the 2014 season. So while it won't have the tradition of the Rose Bowl, it'll have the viewers and it'll have the popularity.

We're seeing more and more how power is truly the most important component in college football, and this is a great example. Soon, we'll have the two best BCS conferences going at it in their own special bowl competing with the beloved Rose Bowl.

We're joined on the SEC blog by Big 12 blogger David Ubben to get his thoughts on what this means for the Big 12. We're gentlemen down here in SEC country, so we'll let him go first:

David Ubben: Rose Bowl, we love you. Not as much as Jim Delany does, but I'm not sure anyone can stake that claim. Anyway, it's time to face an unfortunate truth: You've been one-upped. The unnamed, unplaced bowl partnership between the Big 12 and SEC won't have the same level of tradition, but it will feature better teams. That's a powerful draw.
The BCS has played 14 national title games since its birth. The Big 12 or SEC have participated in 12 of them. Teams from the league have met in the game twice.

Now, they'll have another big stage to showcase their top teams. If a Big 12 or SEC champion is in the four-team playoff that will likely begin in the 2014 season, the next-best team will fill their place in the annual game. Deciding who plays in that game is up to each conference. The nation's two best conferences will get a much-needed opportunity to face one another on the field and test the hotly debated offense vs. defense theories on the field annually. The nation's college football fans were robbed of that when Oklahoma State was squeezed out of the national title game for SEC West second-place finisher Alabama. This year, the SEC and Big 12 only play once, when eight-win Texas travels to face two-win Ole Miss in September. Not exactly must-see TV.

This will be.

It assures the Big 12 a place at the adults' table of college football, further extending the distance between college football's top four leagues -- the SEC, Big 12, Pac-12 and Big Ten, in that order -- and the ACC and Big East. The ACC and Big East have the Orange Bowl, but any game like the SEC and Big 12 put together will pale in comparison when it comes to TV ratings and more importantly, TV money.

Only a few months ago, the Big 12 had eight teams, with half the league considering a move to the Pac-12 and the conference on life support. Things are looking very different now. It's about to sign a giant television deal, likely extending the grant of rights into the next decade and assuring stability at least through then, and probably beyond.

Tired of getting stuck playing Boise State and UConn in everything to lose, nothing to gain BCS bowl matchups? Seven-time Big 12 champion Oklahoma won't have to worry about that anymore, and even if the Sooners are in the forthcoming national championship playoff, the next-best Big 12 team will have a quality opponent to prove itself against.

Another plus for the Big 12? The Cotton Bowl's odds of getting into the BCS as it stood were minimal. Now? It's still in flux, but does anyone want to bet against Jerry Jones and his wallet to get this game in his Dallas palace at some point? That's a big game in the Big 12 footprint, something that's never happened on the BCS bowl stage.

How will this affect Florida State, too? News has surely reached Tallahassee by now, and the Florida State spear-toting brass have to be wondering how much this factors into their wandering eye toward the Big 12. Is the ACC the place to be?

We'll find out soon, but on Jan. 1, 2015, there will be only one place to be.

This game.

Edward Aschoff: I couldn't agree more with pretty much everything you said. There's no question that both of these leagues have dominated the BCS since its first year in 1998. The conferences have been left out of the national championship just twice in the last 14 years and the SEC has participated in -- and won -- eight. The Big 12 has won two of its seven appearances.

SEC commissioner Mike Slive has just about everything he wants in his conference, but he hasn't had the Rose Bowl. Sure, all those national championship trophies are nice, but an annual game like the Rose Bowl commands respect. The game that the Big Ten and Pac-12 covet so much, and is watched by millions annually, will now get a major run for its money. While they'll be played in different time slots, there's no question that this will turn into the ultimate popularity contest. If you could sense that Big Ten-SEC tension before, just wait. Now, the SEC will be looking down on the Big Ten and picking at the game it holds so dear. Don't think that didn't cross the commissioner's mind when he was thinking about this deal.

The SEC has truly been front and center in the college football world for the past six years with its 6-0 record in BCS championships, and now it will pursue a game it thinks can have the gusto of the Rose. This is a great opportunity for the SEC to build another fine tradition for the country's top college football conference. And fans/the media want to see more of these matchups. For the most part, we're all deprived of them during the regular season, so here's a chance for us to win something as well. These two conferences need to play more. The best should always play the best, and as David said, we can finally settle the whole offense-defense debate.

This also means that more SEC teams have the chance to play in a primetime, marquee matchup in January. If this had been in place last season, Arkansas, which certainly had a BCS-caliber team, would have played in a BCS-like bowl, since Alabama and LSU met in the title game. The Cotton Bowl got the matchup this game would have received, but it would have been on a much grander scale and much more attention would have been paid to it. Oh, and much more money would have come out of it.

It would likely help the SEC this year too, as there could be as many as five teams jockeying for BCS position. Imagine if the four-team playoff took place this season? You might have two more SEC teams fighting for a chance at a national championship, meaning this game would give No. 3 a chance strut its stuff in front of its own grand audience.

There's no question that with a four-team playoff, the SEC will have more opportunities to put teams in the national championship, continuing its dominance. Now, Slive has helped to ensure that a high-caliber team left out of the championship hunt will still play in a game that will command the type of attention that comes with a BCS bowl.

the no play on Sunday is the problem with BYU...but I think the recruiting footprint and MONEY is the driving force.... I do not see BYU getting in, unless we go to 16 teams

Just shows you once again that it's all about money and if so you can count on the University of Texas being the fox in the hen house. Sounds more to me like both are positioning themselves so WHEN a playoff system begins the'll still have an opportunity to play a game while everyone else sits at home. Not totally unlike what TU did in going around the Big 12 TV pkg. and having the lonhorn network which is still begging for attention but nobody wants it.

the one that I am really excited to see hop around is Notre Lame...if the Big 12 expands, and the 4 conference deal happens, and the golden domers stay on the outside thinking they are too important to join a conference.....how fun to see them NEVER in the play off ....

jigs said:
the rose bowl has been a pathetic bowl for years.... this new bowl game will be a cash cow. they can bid it out to other cities, but I bet it bounces between Dallas and N.O. best bowl game of last year was KSU / Arkansas...

also, the rumors of Fla State and Clemson headed to the Big 12 are really getting some steam behind them....

I also like the message board in Nebraska...there is a lot of bitching that the Big Ten tv schedule is just a Ohio State / Mich love fest..... looks like they still have a "Texas" in the big 10 !! LOL ...stupid Huskers.

Did you get that info from the same boards you read that wanted Pelini fired? :lol:

would you like a link?? I think I can still find it.. it was on Kstatefans.com

Latest posts