• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Secretary of Ag.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Clarence said:
Tap, I think you are on to something. I believe we need to define exactly what the Dept of agriculture is really supposed to do. Today it is trying to wear to many hats.

I believe it is there to help both the producers and the consumers. It should not try to set prices or work with world trade. That is a job for those in marketing.

Farmers and ranchers should have a means to establish their prices so as to cover expenses and a reasonable profit, not a price suggested by government. Consumers will have to pay whatever the price that is asked. Some will be able to produce cheaper, this is where competition comes in. Why should food be priced any different than, lets say, the automoble that you buy.
Keep in mind all of the huge discounts and special offers it takes to sell that automobile, very often at a loss...unless it's something "shiek" like a friggin' hybrid. We're no different than many industries in needing to keep ahead of the consumers buying trends and trying to influence those trends, and if possible capitalize on value-added.

Faster horses said:
Cal, I am merely curious as to why you stated

"a friggin hybrid". Why did you say that? I think I'm missing
something. I thought they were a good deal especially for those
living in cities.

Thanks.
Sorry FH. In articles I've read and even watched an interview with an automotive CEO, people aren't going to pencil these cars out in the long run, a shorter useful life, and there's all of those batteries to dispose of and replace...not as green as they like to think they're being.

It is something like an extra 5000 for a hybrid.. Can't remember exactly.. That is a lot of gas. An the battery disposal is not all that great as well.. They need to get a hybrid in the mid 150's per gallon probably before it would pencil out or get better lifespan out of th cars...

Really, to be green, you would be best getting one of those TDI's that volkswagon used to make that got 49/52 mpg in their passat, bug. or rabbit but I think they stopped making it... There are straight gas engines that get obscene millage that would be much more green than a hyrbid.. There is nothing green about the hybrid silverado that gets 22 mpg..

Ok, I understand. Thanks guys and gals!!

I know they are a lot more expensive. I looked at a Honda or
Toyota Hybrid when I was trading in June. Thankfully, I didn't
buy one. I too, thought you could buy a lot of gas for the price
difference. Didn't know about the batteries.

When you are in doubt, DON'T; works good for me, if
I can just remember that!!!!!

TTB is very economical with her gas. In fact she hasn't been to the gas pump in months. She has gotten pretty handy with the siphon hose. :D The only problem is when she lights up her cigars :p :wink: I wish people would start buying more E85 cars, I least she would get her vegetables.

have a cold one

lazy ace

katrina said:
We call that around here, Your reservation credit card.. :wink: :twisted:

Used to be if you got caught stealing a tank of gas you were a petty thief-- now you would be a major felon..... :wink: :lol:

Oldtimer said:
katrina said:

Used to be if you got caught stealing a tank of gas you were a petty thief-- now you would be a major felon..... :wink: :lol:

speaking of theivery, who stole the pictures that are supposed to be under our names on the left?

nr said:
Oldtimer said:
katrina said:

speaking of theivery, who stole the pictures that are supposed to be under our names on the left?

now they are back- I don't understand why they weren't there earlier- must be the internet gremlins at work?

Latest posts