• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

see Waggoner

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
sold this morning. Guy whom owns Q creek ranch in Wyoming bought it , friend grandson manages Q Creek...

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/local/Waaggoner-Ranch-sold-368190011.html

Stan Kroenke is the same one that also owns Douglas Lake Ranch, Quilchena, Alkali Lake, Circle S and just lately Cotton Ranch and Deer Park ranch in B.C. I don't know about anyone else but I'm not comfortable with Walmart money buying all the best country. Except for Douglas Lake, until recently they were all family owned and operated ranches. I don't believe that is a good sign!

WHR said:
Stan Kroenke is the same one that also owns Douglas Lake Ranch, Quilchena, Alkali Lake, Circle S and just lately Cotton Ranch and Deer Park ranch in B.C. I don't know about anyone else but I'm not comfortable with Walmart money buying all the best country. Except for Douglas Lake, until recently they were all family owned and operated ranches. I don't believe that is a good sign!

I agree with you on this Hugh. With what's been amalgamated by one owner here and the ranchland tied up by Blue Goose there will be some major changes in BC down the road. I don't think it will be for the good!

He claims that his money has come from real estate dealings and not Walmart money but who knows. He caused a big stir here in MO by moving the Rams back to LA. I think he looks like Hitler for what it matters LOL.

I might be wrong but I think alot of his money was from building stores and leasing them to Walmart.

What I feel may come to be the, imo, worst case scenario in this type deal is that at some point the private owner might 'give' that land to government for a park in order to cut the estate taxes his family will face in the future.....or some other scheme, with same result.......more land in government ownership and less of it privately owned.

I do hope it is true that the Waggoner will continue to be operated as it has been, at least to a large degree. That will mean quite a few ranch jobs for people, as well as business for local suppliers. And, I have no problem with him being related to Walmart families. Accident of relationships is more or less out of a persons' control, and people who are high achievers generally are beneficial to the world, if they are honest and don't ride rough shod over others or manipulate laws. At least I will give them benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong!

mrj

Also owns Broken O in Montana, over 100,000 acres including largest irrigated operation in the state. And also bought Choteau Cattle Co, what was left of Hamilton ranch, which was nucleus of broken O. And has oldest water rights on Teton river.

I was by broken o headqtrs, they spent gobs of $$ transforming owner's house into some body's idea of ben cartwrights house. Did a lot of work with multiple excavators, turning an irrigation canal into a 'water feature' in the yard.

Meanwhile, the hands told me that they wanted something---it's been a while, forget what---but obviously made sense---and were told 'not this yr, put it in budget request for next yr and we'll look at it.

Meanwhiler, every damn walmart in the u.s. is subsidized by taxpayers to tune of one million $$ each by way of food stamps, medicade, etc, as they can't afford to pay their help.

I'd like to see a bounty on these guys.

Kronke made a lot of his own money dealing off inside info from Walmart. He's got a knack for placing strip malls near what turns out to be a Walmart citing.

bearvalley said:
WHR said:

I agree with you on this Hugh. With what's been amalgamated by one owner here and the ranchland tied up by Blue Goose there will be some major changes in BC down the road. I don't think it will be for the good!

These ranches must have all been for sale to the public, this is the only fellow to step up with the cash. Not only that but he is operating them as ranches and not chopping them up. Yet.

While the almagamation of many fine properties to one owner does make one wonder what happens next, who am I to make any statement at all other than good for those that wanted to sell.

It is my belief the publicly traded company that owns BG will only operate the ranch until the tax credits run out. Then creditors beware!
Happened before and it will happen again.

gcreekrch said:
bearvalley said:
WHR said:

These ranches must have all been for sale to the public, this is the only fellow to step up with the cash. Not only that but he is operating them as ranches and not chopping them up. Yet.

While the almagamation of many fine properties to one owner does make one wonder what happens next, who am I to make any statement at all other than good for those that wanted to sell.

It is my belief the publicly traded company that owns BG will only operate the ranch until the tax credits run out. Then creditors beware!
Happened before and it will happen again.

Dave, I have no problem with the willing seller/willing buyer part of it but I can see issues down the road with the support business's that depended on those ranches that have been amalgamated. For example, the one outfit is already marketing their "natural" beef direct and the other is a sure bet to do the same with their big store connection.
Do the math on the number of cattle by passing the local yards now and what can happen if they all go that way.
I'll make a bet that the one will be making a move on a couple more outfits as well when they come up.
Like I said, I could care less who buys a ranch but I sure wouldn't want to send all my marketable cattle to Alberta to find them a new home.

Agreed but it's happening everywhere. The big ones get the publicity. When I moved here in 79 there were 31 families here with cattle. some with 20 head, one with 400. There are 9 of us left now with more cattle. I have witnessed what servicing 100 less people and a boom and bust can do to a small town.

Your parents put several ranches together at Q also.

Latest posts