• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Seeding meadow brome

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowsense

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,394
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Saskatchewan
I spent 2 miserable days trying to seed 170 acres of coated meadow brome with 30 feet of Morris M10 drills. Aggravating, bridging stuff. Had to mix in some wheat to make it flow anywhere's near decent. Must be lots of people with experience in the best way of seeding this stuff. Would appreciate any tips as I have more to seed this week! Thanks
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
21,984
Reaction score
81
Location
Big Muddy valley
The best way is to go to the CWD meeting and have your brother do the seeding. :wink: I have heard of lots haveing trouble if the percent of meadow brome is to high in the mix. I put it right in the seed box and mixed in with oats. I think it was 50%MB 20% Alfalfa and 30%clover.
 

jigs

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
8,440
Reaction score
0
Location
KANSAS
I liked using a broadcaster and harrowing it in. got a fairly decent stand
 

Jinglebob

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
5,962
Reaction score
0
Location
Western South Dakota
I don't know how great-grampa seeded it, probably broadcast, but it still here a hundred some odd years later! I've broadcast some and had to stir it once in awhile.

Some folks around here think brome is a bad weed. I love it as it is so tough and stands up to any kind of grazing pressure.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
21,984
Reaction score
81
Location
Big Muddy valley
Jinglebob said:
I don't know how great-grampa seeded it, probably broadcast, but it still here a hundred some odd years later! I've broadcast some and had to stir it once in awhile.

Some folks around here think brome is a bad weed. I love it as it is so tough and stands up to any kind of grazing pressure.

Jingle bob your probably talking about smooth brome and cowsense about meadow brome.There is a difference.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
jigs said:
I liked using a broadcaster and harrowing it in. got a fairly decent stand

I'm getting more and more convinced that the best way to seed most grass and alfalfa is by broadcasting--seeded in late fall after the frost and let the snow help take it down........Don't have to mix it with any cover crops....
 

Silver

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
5,150
Reaction score
26
Location
BC
Oldtimer said:
jigs said:
I liked using a broadcaster and harrowing it in. got a fairly decent stand

I'm getting more and more convinced that the best way to seed most grass and alfalfa is by broadcasting--seeded in late fall after the frost and let the snow help take it down........Don't have to mix it with any cover crops....

I like the nurse crop. Oats make fantastic green feed especially if silaged. I wouldn't touch meadow brome up here, although some guys do. Pretty hard on nitrogen. Smooth brome works better for us.
As far as broadcasting goes, I'm not interested in playing that game anymore. Up here if you dont get moisture in time your in trouble. If you count on the snow and frost, it can rot in the ground during breakup. I put the alfalfa, brome, timothy and oats all together in drill and seed it down.
I hate farming, so do it once and do it right I say. :wink:
 

cowsense

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,394
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Saskatchewan
We've had very mixed results with broadcasting, moisture conditions have to be very good for a decent catch. We prefer using a press drill putting the seed to the optimum depth and prefer a wider row spacing for dryland production. If possible fall seeding is preferable (especially in alkali ground). Seeding grass is expensive ( $15-35 acre) and we try to do everything possible to up the odds of establishment. It's easy if it rains and the grasshoppers stay away! That gives us about 2 years out of 10 where it should work :wink:
 

Latest posts

Top