• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Seeking medical advice for calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Doc, would you mind expounding on the rib deal a bit more and how
it affects humans and horses?
FH - The answer to this question is similar to the one that kids eagerly ask parents - "What is the meaning of LIFE??" and "How did you and Mommy 'get'me?" The final answer is dependent, step by step, on convoluted and complicated Anatomical, Physiological and Neurological facts which are interrelated with each other. You asked "What time is it?" and I am starting to explain, in detail, how to build an electronic clock which keeps time to within one-billionth of a second in Two Hundred years!! But I shall attempt to make it less complicated than that!

Now! The "Rib Deal" as you stated.

Every animal on Earth which is a "Vertebrate" (One which is Endoskeletal) has it's Central Nervous System 'enclosed' in bony structures - the Skull protecting the Brain and the Spinal Column enclosing the Spinal Cord ( the heavy cord of Nerve Tissue extending from the Brain down the Spinal Canal to the Sacrum - or 'tail bone' area). The Spinal Column is comprised of Vertebral Segments (Vertebra) stacked one on top of the other and separated by discs, or very hard cartilage, which keeps a 'space' between the vertebra through which nerves pass to perform motor actions to enable the animal (and humans) to move and perform actions that all animals and humans do - walking, running, eating, drinking, working etc., etc.

Now to the ribs! There are Cervical (Neck) vertebra which support the head and neck and allow movement in those parts. They have NO ribs attached to them.

There are Thoracic (Dorsal) Vertebra which extend (in humans) down, toward the feet, 12 Vertebra (13 in the bovine animal) TO WHICH ARE ATTACHED 12 PAIRS OF RIBS. They commence at the base of the neck. At this point in anatomy, things get a little complicated in form AND function.

The purpose if the Rib Cage is to provide a protective Housing for the Lungs, Heart and Upper Circulatory System, Esophagus, Trachea, Liver, Spleen, Gall Bladder, Pancreas, and part of the digestive organs - Stomach, Small Intestines, Kidneys and connective tissue which binds them all together.

Because our animal(s) move about, the protective ribs must also be capable of movement - WITHIN CERTAIN LIMITATIONS - and therin lies the focal point of our question regarding "Subluxated Ribs and Vertebra"!

The ribs are attached to the vertebra - on EACH side of the body - by VERY STRONG cartilagenous connections - known to cooks as "Gristle", which binds the rib to a 'facet' or a small, smooth, slick, surface joint which allows a certain amount of rotating movement, such as in breathing, turning, bending, twisting etc., in humans AND horses et al. Lying BETWEEN each rib and attached along it's entire length to the rib adjacent to it is strong musculature (picture a 'standing rib roast") which assists in the rib cage movements. Nerve impulses from the brain and down the spinal cord and out between the segments of vertebra to those muscles (and EVERY OTHER PHYSICAL STRUCTURE IN THE AREA ) dictate how, what, why, where, and when the movements will occur. IF and WHEN some accident or stress or trauma interrupts the optimal Nerve impulses by virtue of a subluxation ( by creating a partial dislocation or mal positioning of the vertebral segment to which the rib is attached )
OR a subluxation of the rib ITSELF, then an abnormal and insufficient nerve supply disturbes the normal function of THAT part of the body and DIS-ease, DIScomfort, pain, incorrect body function occurs at whatever level or area those nerves innervate. In a human, the subluxated rib(s) can be adjusted to approximate their normal position in relationship to the vetebrae to which they are attached - and therein lies the difficulty! The ribs are attached to TWO vertebrae at the same time - to the BOTTOM of the VERTEBRA ABOVE the rib - and to the TOP of the VERTEBRA BELOW the rib. They move and partially rotate similar to the planetary or epicyclic gear set in a transmission or differential. The movement is very slight, and the pressure imposed on tissues results in pain as if an ice pick were sticking in one's back! I KNOW from first hand experience! In 90% of the time the rib will rotate (in humans AND horses) upward or headward and press on the peripheral nerves coming from the vertebra ABOVE the rib. The malfunction of parts distal to the spine at THAT level is one way to diagnose which segment is the causative factor - and therefore which vertebra or rib or both to adjust. That is why the Dr. who adjusted the horse examined his leg and worked on the muscles of the leg, but by correcting the interrupted nerve supply TO the leg by adjusting the vertebra and the rib subluxation(s), that restored the proper function to the leg and therefore -Voila - the horse started getting better - pain was relieved - and he stopped crow-hopping.

The exact same thing works on other parts of the body when Nerve impulses are interrupted or disturbed. Pain results - - OR improper organ function results. The strains resulting from roping and the sudden jolting and twisting stresses on the horses upper body eventually causes malfunction - and the horse can't do his job correctly. Same thing apply's to bucking bulls, or any other traumatic action to man or beast!

THAT, my friends, is Chiropractic Principles in a very tiny nut shell! I hope I didn't bore you, and helped you to understand Chiropractic a little better. The "cracking sound" that you hear when an adjustment occurs is NOT - I SAY IS NOT the bones cracking! There are NO empty spaces in the body, and that sound is tissue fluid moving into the articular spaces that are created when the bones are moved slightly - like popping your knuckles. Same thing!

DOC HARRIS

Hard to say without looking at the calf in person, but here are some thougths. The way the lower legs around the fetlock are knuckling, not good. Some sort of paresis or paralysis. Could and probably is spinal of some sort. I would give him about 8cc of Dexamethasone IM. Stronger steroid and I like to use it more than Banamine for muscle and joint injuries. I also do chiropractic on animals, but wouldn't consider this a good case to work on. It is hard to adjust the hips and lower back if he cannot get up, plus every day that goes by with him being like is the less chance of a good outcome. If you do want to mess with him, make sure you move the legs and joints around to get some normal range of motion back otherwise they get stiffer and stiffer the less they are used. Could try the steroids, but would prbably put down too. Just some ideas. Sucks since looks like a nice calf. Also Haemophilus Somnus can infect the joints, but never seen one like that with H. Somnus. Good luck

CowDoc

I've been taking one of our bucking bulls to the chiropractor. His shoulder was jammed and his lower back was...not right. I can't remember all the techinical terms.

She adjusted him the first time and asked that we bring him back in two weeks. We took him back and he wasn't completely healed but was on his way. He had a hump on his spine which is now gone.

He acts like a totally different bull. He use to be a mean prick that literally wanted to kill you. Today he actually let my "hubby" scratch his back. The other day I was sitting on the waterer on the other side of his pen, he peaked through and rested his nose on my leg.

He goes back in one month. We are resting him for at least 3 months with no bucking but walking for exercise (Doc Harris recommended. Thanks Doc!! :) )

I am a true believer in this. It's amazing to watch and see.

I used to be a non-believer of animal chiropractic. Then my sister who is also a vet took the courses and became certified. I followed her lead and also took the courses and became certified last year. I have been doing mostly horses, a few dogs and some Ayrshires, Guernsey's and Holsteins. Usually the producer is a bit skeptical (especially the cow guys) but after an adjustment or two they can see the difference in how the animal reacts and moves. I am not saying it will cure cancer or anything, but it certainly has its place along with traditional medicine. All I ask is to keep an open mind.

Donna :)

CowDoc said:
I used to be a non-believer of animal chiropractic. Then my sister who is also a vet took the courses and became certified. I followed her lead and also took the courses and became certified last year. I have been doing mostly horses, a few dogs and some Ayrshires, Guernsey's and Holsteins. Usually the producer is a bit skeptical (especially the cow guys) but after an adjustment or two they can see the difference in how the animal reacts and moves. I am not saying it will cure cancer or anything, but it certainly has its place along with traditional medicine. All I ask is to keep an open mind.

Donna :)
Donna - It takes an intelligent person to be open-minded enough to change their mind in the face of proven facts which flys in the face of their previous opinions. Your statement regarding keeping an open mind is exactly correct, and it applys to almost all aspects of life as well. Donna, I respect you for your honesty and integrity!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts