• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Selling a pickup going to Canada?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LW Leather

Reaction score
I am trying to sell my pickup. I have a guy supposedly from Ontario, Canada wanting to buy it. He wants to pay with Paypal and he will arrange the shipping. For the most part everything sounds ligit. I use Paypal a lot and don't see how it can be a scam...

Any input would be great..

Thanks!
Mrs. Lazy WP

RUN! AWAY!
FAST!!

We've talked about scams on here before, try this link.

http://www.ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49415&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=paypal+scam

Think about it. Why would someone as far away as Ontario
want the hassle of buying a pickup in Nebraska?
The world is full of pickups.

"When in doubt, DON'T"...kinda works for me.

Good luck!

Ok.. It's a 1996 F250, 4wd, powerstroke, auto trani, loaded, aluminum wheels, regular cab, long box, manual hubs. 141K. I bought it new, so it's my baby.. :)
Good to very good condition. It has a few minor scratches. No mechanical problems at all. It should probably have a windshield put in it. It has a B&W turn over ball and a 10K receiver hitch. I'm asking $ 8000.

It only gets driven maybe 1000 miles a year right now at the most.

You can e-mail me for pics if anyone is interested. I don't know how the photobucket thing works yet.. :)

[email protected]
Thanks!!

Welcome to the board.

Have you talked to this person on the phone? Paypal has some pretty good coverage against scams, be worth talking to them too. Seems to me if the person pays before it leaves the yard it doesn't matter if he's in Iraq or Ontario. Just don't let it go before you receive payment. Sounds like a peach of a truck, it is possible it's legit. Just don't take any chances.

Here's some pics.

Ford008.jpg
[/img]

Ford007.jpg

Ford004.jpg

Wow. Looks REALLY NICE!
Maybe you are safe with paypal. Me, I wouldn't chance it.
Here's another link to a discussion about SCAMS on
the forum. Paypal is mentioned in this discussion:

http://www.ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42245&start=12&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=trailer+scam

Katrina posted:
Yes Ebay will make sure the transaction goes smoothly. Just register for PayPal and go through paypal for all your transactions. Yes it cost some, but it's worth the hassle free transactions.. Let me know if I can help you more.. Most people are very nice and honest...

I had someone wanting to buy my pickup the same way. He was from back east I told him it was cash or no sell. Might work for you but I wouldn't chance it.

What part of Nebraska are you from? I might be interested if not to far away.

I had someone from Utah (so he says) wanting to buy my car and insisted on paying by paypal. Here is the email I got from him after I told him cash when he picked it up. I looked up his email address and its Nigeria based :roll: . Its very much a scam...

"Thanks for the quick response,I am located in Utah.i am buying this Car for someone as a surprise gift,I am okay with the price due to my occupation as a marine engineer at this moment i am presently working offshore,sometimes access to regular email are very poor in offshore due to inefficiency of the immarsat service.Fortunately the internet access working averagely today and i was able to come across the advert of Car . I really want the Car to be a surprise by not disclosing the Car until the delivery is made to him,so am sure he will be more than happy with the Car.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking,but i can pay from my PayPal account,as i have my bank a/c attached to it,i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the Car and please if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up at your bank and get it set up,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through..Notice you don't need to bother your self about the shipment,i have an pick-up agent that will come for pick-up,they will also determine and secure the shipment,I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the making of the payment.

1.Your PayPal full name.
2.Your PayPal Email Address.
3..Your phone number.

**Once again ,I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping. I will have my mover come over as soon as you have your money in your account**

Do Have a nice day,

My Best Regard."

With paypal the customer can stop payment at any time - - - a neighbor sent am item to Japan for $4,000.00 after he got the paypal payment - - - the customer refused the shipment so the paypal was reversed then the customer took shipment the next day and kept the item but my friend never got paid - - - paypal just closed the account for the customer but there is nothing preventing him setting up another account.

Another friends grand daughter bought a car and got a bank loan and paid $3,000.00 for a car from St. Louis that turned out did not exist and never got her money back! Paypal refused to help her but told her the person selling was not from St. Louis but from Europe.

With me cash is king!

I'd be cautious, but I wouldn't get too excited about it being a scam. Lots of people from our area have been heading south for bigger ticket items lately, ATV's, trucks etc. We're in the market for a stock trailer and we're looking south for it too. Prices seem to be a bit lower down there, and with our strong dollar, it makes it even more attractive.

As long as you get your money up front, go for it!

This is a scam.

If you provide them with your paypal email address, they can then send you a fake email supposedly from paypal requireing confirmation that the item was shipped or some other story and ask for their money back or send you a phishing email.

There will probably be some "professional" seeming writing that doesn't seem quite right - eg. "I advice you" rather than "I advise you".

The first time someone tried to scam me for an apartment, I realised after the second email that it wasn't right...but I played along just to waste the losers time. I guess they share email addresses because that email now gets hundreds of "scam" spam. :p

Latest posts