• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Selling at auction.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher said:
What is stopping Pat Goggins, Lloyd DeBrucker or any other R-CALFer or LMA member that has fat cattle sell them at auction?

Forgive me for not knowing your business, BMR, but don't all of the fat cattle go to the packer's plant anyway? Wouldn't you just be subjecting yourself to another middle man? Wouldn't that be inefficient?

Econ101 said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
What is stopping Pat Goggins, Lloyd DeBrucker or any other R-CALFer or LMA member that has fat cattle sell them at auction?

Forgive me for not knowing your business, BMR, but don't all of the fat cattle go to the packer's plant anyway? Wouldn't you just be subjecting yourself to another middle man? Wouldn't that be inefficient?

Gee I don't think anybody ever thought of that. :cowboy:

By some of the rationalization here on this forum..............selling fats to auction barns could only be efficient if the auction barns were large enough to control the majority of fats sold on the open market.

In other words (by some on here)..........it takes LARGE, VERY LARGE, companies to be efficient. :???:

None of the auction barns meet this criteria. :roll:

I have yet to see fat cattle sell at the Auction for as much as anyone could get by calling 1 packer direct.

Lately a few odds and ends fats have sold by auction for anywhere from $60 to $70 yet the market is currently at $88-$90.

Jason said:
I have yet to see fat cattle sell at the Auction for as much as anyone could get by calling 1 packer direct.

Lately a few odds and ends fats have sold by auction for anywhere from $60 to $70 yet the market is currently at $88-$90.

So go sell where you want to, Jason. No one is stopping you.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Jason said:
None of the auction barns meet this criteria.

You obviously don't know how large PAYs is.

That's right Jason. Funny how the LMA R-CALFer have become quiet. Lots of big auction barns around. If it was they best way why wouldn't these guys be doing it?

People don't take fats to the barns because fats buyers for the most part dont' go there. It's not a hard thing to figure out.

Is PAYs large enought to handle 1/3 of the national market themselves?

Jason said:
None of the auction barns meet this criteria.

Obviously Jason, you don't know how big Pays is. Maybe to the auction marts in Canada it is big. Around here it is not that big, doesn't do much more than business than the others around, except in the horse market it seems that it is growing. What is big to you Jason?

Sandhusker said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Jason said:

That's right Jason. Funny how the LMA R-CALFer have become quiet. Lots of big auction barns around. If it was they best way why wouldn't these guys be doing it?

People don't take fats to the barns because fats buyers for the most part dont' go there. It's not a hard thing to figure out.

Is PAYs large enought to handle 1/3 of the national market themselves?

If the fats were there the buyers would be. Why don't these LMA and R-CALF boy lead by example. Oh they are just like Pickett , they sell by contract then complain.

Can't any of your R-CALFERS answer this. The LMA and R-CALF want to force this onother producers why don't they lead by example.

No one but BMR,would even talk about selling fat cattle at auction,sometimes I wonder about you boy.............good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Can't any of your R-CALFERS answer this. The LMA and R-CALF want to force this onother producers why don't they lead by example.

No one but BMR,would even talk about selling fat cattle at auction,sometimes I wonder about you boy.............good luck

Excuse me Haymaker . Could you tell me what they sold at the terminal Auction in Omaha?

Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:

Excuse me Haymaker . Could you tell me what they sold at the terminal Auction in Omaha?

Yes,when you tell me "why" what % of fat cattle do you think gets run thru the sale barn ...............good luck

Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:

Have you been to the market in Omaha lately?

Econ101 said:
Jason said:

So go sell where you want to, Jason. No one is stopping you.

Yet some of you are touting this proposed law that WOULD stop Jason from selling wherever he wanted to.......for the price he chooses.

And speaking of "transparency", "daylight" and other adjectives some have used.......on the Ft. Pierre livestock auction (largest volume in SD, one of the large cattle producing states) only minutes ago, one set of cattle was listed as "from an east river cattle producer".

Johnny Smith also stated in his spiel to garner more donations for R-CALF at next weeks sale: "we wouldn't have this market we've got today if R-CALF hadn't been working for you the past five or six years. They've been the driving factor in keeping prices up. They don't have the checkoff to live off of".

What he failed to tell us is exactly how giving bunches of money to lawyers has had any influence on the prices, or to show any factual basis for stating that anyone is "living off your checkoff". So typical! Does anyone truly believe that would be possible, given the "cost recovery only" basis of CBB contracts to the contractors of checkoff projects????

MRJ

So Haymaker and Sandhusker you seem to think the auction barn method is not going to work but since they used to do it then moved to Forward contracts and formula pricing and Grid cattle what do you want? The sale barn doesn't work and what the feeders are using now doesn't work why don';t each of you buy a load of feeder cattle and market the way you would like and show us how it's done. You don't have to use contracts you can sell by video or call all the packers and take bids.

We've sold fats through the auction barn and they brought top dollar. What's the big deal?? We leave at night and go to Yankton to Stockmans sale barn. Unload and stay at the Frieghtliner Inn. The very nice people at the salebarn buy us breakfast. There are all kinds of fat cattle buyers there. Is one of best options we ever done.

Good for you Katrina, You just proved my point that there are ways to sell fat cattle if you don't want to use the Formula or grid, ECT. These guys that want to mess around with the way feeders sell their fat cattle probably don't have any. ie Haymaker, Sandhusker,Econ101. :cowboy:

Latest posts