• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

selling cows

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jigs

Reaction score
we sorted off about 15 pair to sell, kinda short on grass, and the market is just too ripe. had a kid say he would take them. 10 days later, he says he cant take them....so everyone that called , I told they were sold, and it really has me pissed off.....my question is.... should I be asking people to put money down to hold them? have any of you ever made some one put down some cash?? I thought a handshake was good enough....guess not

There are a number of guys around here that would pull that stunt on buying bulls. Show them the bulls, they him and haw about it and finally decide to bite. Then they go home and decide to backtrack after a few days. All of that time which was used to tell other potential buyers that particular bull is spoken for.

Do a down payment, say $50 a pair. Multiplied by 15 pairs, most wouldn't let that money go for nothing. If selling individuals, I would say something more substantial like $100-200. Someone telling you they want them and then backtracking is like having them hand you the gun to shoot yourself in the foot.

Better to ask for a down payment to hold the animals then to just take their word for it anymore.
if the buyer is serious then there should be no problem.

I gotta agree with others here. Ask not only for a non-refundable downpayment (in case they back out), set a specific pick-up and final pay date. That way, if they don't show up, you're not left holding an empty bag.

The problem I've had is negotiating a good deal to buy and then before I can show up to pick up the animals, they get sold to someone else. I've learned that the best way to buy in Venezuela is to show up with cash in hand and the truck ready to go.

Whitewing said:
I gotta agree with others here. Ask not only for a non-refundable downpayment (in case they back out), set a specific pick-up and final pay date. That way, if they don't show up, you're not left holding an empty bag.

The problem I've had is negotiating a good deal to buy and then before I can show up to pick up the animals, they get sold to someone else. I've learned that the best way to buy in Venezuela is to show up with cash in hand and the truck ready to go.

That's exactly how I ended up with a goat. :wink: :roll: :(

If a person is not willing to put down "earnest " money ( a non refundable deposit ) with a short written aggrement as to completion of the contract just keep looking for a buyer as I have lsot several slaes by just holding for a buyer.

I just had a Pete for sale and the buyer wanted me to take an out of state personal check. Told me he could bring cash in two weeks. I told him to write two checks, one for $1,000.00 and the other for the balance. He could then bring me cash for the truck in the two weeks and drive off and I would give him the checks back but if I did not see him in two weeks I was going to put the $1,000.00 check in my bank and put the truck back up for sale.

He acted insulted but I sold the truck the next day for cash to someone else.

We had exactly this happen this spring on heifers. The upside is I sold them later for more money to what I hope becomes a good customer.
The previous either will not be back, or will not be invited back.
At this place a handshake is a handshake, and a deal is a deal, but I want the cheque before the calves leave the yard. :lol:

Common practice around here on private treaty sales is 1/2 down and 1/2 when you pick them up or they are delivered.

I would say that if they came and looked and didn't have the money at that time they really didn't want to buy.. Now days there are soooo many tire kickers. IF they are interested they should of put some money down for the cows.. When I sold my trailer I had two people interested. It was the understanding that the first couple who called and came and seen it had first chance at the trailer.. But they knew if they didnn't take it that day or leave some money that if was still for sale and the second party who was interested was next to buy...... The first person took the trailer....Done deal.

Wow Katrina I am pretty sure you just had a thread about being pissed at someone for selling a tractor to someone else B4 Roscoe showed up with the money.

What would you do if someone ordered a livestock trailer which was $11,500.00 paid $5000.00 down last june trailer was built and completed July 28th 2010. They know it's done at that time and I have'nt seen or heard a word since then. I have been sitting on it since then not really knowing what I should do. It's a 30 livestock trailer 2-10k axels with 215x17.5 tire's 3 compartments black in color.I've ran an add or two on it here lately and being it's black most people don't want that color so most likely I'll either have to paint it a different color or discount the price a bit to move it.I feel I need to refund his deposit minus interest,advertising etc. I don't want to be a prick but whats the right thing to do.

give him 30 days or he loses the trailer and the cash....ought to hurry him up!

this was a young kid who was wanting to get going, and said his grass fell through...I am guessing he found cheaper cows, but oh well.... next guy will put down some cash!

Denny, have you heard anything from the buyers at all?
I knew of something similar, only it involved an expensive horse.
The people put money down, but never came and got the horse.
The seller tried contacting the people, but never could get
ahold of them. She finally sold the horse. A couple of months
later the first buyers called about 'their' horse...there had
been a murder in the family in another country...........and
they had been gone a long time.

Strange things happen, for sure!

Last person I talked to was his banker and he said and I quote( I don't know what in the Hell he's thinking he needs a trailer) I told him I'd deliver it and thats the last I've heard.

The outcome of this horse deal was the seller gave the 1st buyer
their money back. They were disappointed that she sold the horse,
but golly, after no contact for a long time, what was she to do?

I think it's up to the buyer to get in touch with you. Otherwise,
that's what a deposit is for--to protect you from something
like this happening. Just about every place you special order
something, a non-refundable deposit is required.

The only time I had anybody back out on a deal was when BSE hit but that was pretty extenuating circumstances. I had a guy come look and tell me how crappy my cows were last fall and not take them but that's ok because the market went up enough to sooth my hurt feelings-they weren't really hurt he was a bit of a tool lol. Nothing tops the stories the Leachman copoperators have to tell-I thought they hanged thieves in Montana!!

what are pairs bringing anyhow? in MT, ND, SD, WY, ID?

what would 2nd calf hereford pairs with hereford calves at side - i don't really have any for sale but curious to know what they might be worth and could top cut a pot load nice?

been abused a couple times on custom haying and a couple bull deals - i still like a handshake and look in the eyes best but with someone new... i get payment up front - no speaking for bulls anymore.

Denny,

I agree with Jigs, although I will add that 30 day notice should be sent by courier with signature required, not over the phone or regular mail. Goes a long way in court if it ever came to that.

I would also advise you check with your lawyer and see if there is anywhere in MN state law where it details minimum notice times over business dealings between an individual and a business.

so, if I drive to Minnesota, buy out the trailer from Denny, then head west to fill that trailer with Ace's pairs, and of course stop off to see any hot nurses in Montana, I would be set !....of course I would stop by Soapweeds on the way home, so his crew could work the cows as he took pictures ! :wink:

hhhhmmmmm......very tempting

Latest posts