• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

selling replacements

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Reaction score
Last fall we bought some hiefers to feed over the winter and sell in the spring, hopfully to the replacement market. Before I had them paid for the seller came up and thanked me for buying them and to see him in the spring as he might be interested to buy them back. Now it's nearing the time to sell. Called the guy and he said he would be interested,BUT asked if we had pulled his number tags, because there were some sets of twins in his herd and he would not be interested in buying any fremartins. He would like to look at them and compare his calving book to see if any twins exist. Most of his tags are still in, thinking that If he bought them back he might be interested to know what cow they were from. Funny when he sold them, they announced "you guys looking for replacements-one of the top sets of cattle in the nation-they are from top sets of bulls=been selling here for many years and the rest of the auctioneer BS" The owner wasn't concerned about freemartins then and got top dollars for his calves. Now the tide has turned. I bought them so I will live with the consequences, just don't think this is really fair. I guess we will not be selling to him. Unless he wants to pay extra for extra selecting. Any comments would be welcomed.

If selling to him is the best money you think you can make, then sell to him. Figure out how many freemartins you have and then add a premium for the freemartins and adjust your price for the breeding replacements accordingly. Cuss him under your breath and take your check to the bank. Don't buy from him again if you don't want to, but don't be too proud to sell. Heck, while you're dealing with him on figuring out the freemartin issue just go ahead and tell him what you thought of that sale-day advertisement. :lol:

First off never believe a word an auctioneer says. The first thing they teach them at auctioneer school is how to lie with a straight face.

That really sucks, agree with NR about first and last. Palpate heifers and take out questionable heifers. If he is that kind of scoundrel, he won't what their worth anyway. The free martins will sell into the grasser market. Give the guy the finger and smile. If there that good you will sell the rest for a profit.

CA

canadian angus said:
That really sucks, agree with NR about first and last. Palpate heifers and take out questionable heifers. If he is that kind of scoundrel, he won't what their worth anyway. The free martins will sell into the grasser market. Give the guy the finger and smile. If there that good you will sell the rest for a profit.
:agree:

I'd be bent! :mad: If the guy never mentioned any twins when he sold them to you, then he mis-represented his cattle. I'd look him straight in the eye and tell him what I thought about his dealings and lack of honestly. Then I'd offer him to choice the heifers at $2500 a head regardless of how he makes his pick, meaning checking "Calving records" for twins! When he declines I'd walk away. Fool me once.......................... Not a chance in hell you'll do it twice! Hope ya get it worked out alright.

While your checking for freeemartins you could spay a half dozen for his sort-just kidding. The market has heated up enough that hopefully you don't take too big a hit. I got done hard once when I was young but I smile every time I drive by their place to spend money somewhere else. Onward and upward!

We had a friend from W. Montana that we did some horse trading with.
This was a real good guy. He bought a horse at the Missoula auction
and he saw outside the horse was a little 'off', but the owner of the
horse assured him it just happened and that he would guarantee the horse.
Well, our friend bought the horse, took him home and two weeks later,
the horse was worse, not better. So he called the prior owner and told
him the horse was worse, not better. The other guy says to him,
"I don't know why you are calling me, it's your horse." Our frieind says,
"Oh yes, I know what you are saying." Said good-bye and hung up.
The next monthly sale, he took the horse back and ran him through
loose. He told the crowd, "I bought this horse at the last sale. He was
guaranteed sound by such and such (giving the man's name). The
horse is no good and the man's word is no good."

Took a lot of guts to do that...but he was dead right. And he got a lot
of calls that night from people who were glad he did what he did.

Too bad you couldn't do that with the fremartin heifers...would serve
him right.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I'd just sell him ALL of them same price he can do his sort after and sell the replacements and the culls himself. Or I would have him go thru them get the numbers on the freemartens then charge fifty to a hundred dollars per head more for the ones he wants to keep.What kind of idiot sells heifers in the fall then turns around and buys the same cattle back 4 months later.Genius your dealing with.

just a small guy said:
Last fall we bought some hiefers to feed over the winter and sell in the spring, hopfully to the replacement market. Before I had them paid for the seller came up and thanked me for buying them and to see him in the spring as he might be interested to buy them back. Now it's nearing the time to sell. Called the guy and he said he would be interested,BUT asked if we had pulled his number tags, because there were some sets of twins in his herd and he would not be interested in buying any fremartins. He would like to look at them and compare his calving book to see if any twins exist. Most of his tags are still in, thinking that If he bought them back he might be interested to know what cow they were from. Funny when he sold them, they announced "you guys looking for replacements-one of the top sets of cattle in the nation-they are from top sets of bulls=been selling here for many years and the rest of the auctioneer BS" The owner wasn't concerned about freemartins then and got top dollars for his calves. Now the tide has turned. I bought them so I will live with the consequences, just don't think this is really fair. I guess we will not be selling to him. Unless he wants to pay extra for extra selecting. Any comments would be welcomed.

So did the seller actually promote them as "replacement heifers," or was that remark inserted by the auctioneer? Another question, does the previous owner want to buy all the heifer calves back, or is he interested in just buying back the top end to breed? The way the market has come up since last fall, you should be sitting in pretty good position even if all the heifers were sold as feeders only. Now the former seller and raiser of the calves is interested in buying back these heifers of his own breeding. If he is willing to pay a premium to take his pick, what do you have to lose by selling them to him. You should stand to make a significant profit, so why not go along with the deal and stay on speaking terms with the original seller. My guess is that his cattle have made you a lot of money for the winter, so why burn bridges behind you. You might stand to make money on his cattle again in the future if you don't get a burr under your blanket.

In my own case, we kept all of our heifers over from last year. We bangs vaccinated the whole bunch, free martins included. There is always a fifteen percent chance a free martin will conceive. Regardless, there are always open heifers to sell by the end of the breeding season anyway. The free martins will fit right in. Many ranchers either spay their heifers, or intentionally keep them open, so it doesn't really make that much difference.

Latest posts