• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Semen Distributors

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Which semen distributors do you use? I think I have narrowed my search to Genex, Select Sires and Semex. My dad uses Genex and now that I'm on my own I'm thinking of diversifying. Any suggestions. I'm breeding 200 commercial cows and 25 club calf cows. What Nitrogen charges are you getting.

Thanks for any help.

I have been getting some semen from ABS and some from the Bull Barn. ABS is pretty good about volume discounts, Bull Barn has some sire that no one else has and some unique ones, and they are really good at getting the semen here when I need it. As far as nitrogen charges, I have no idea, last fall when I called to get some semen out of storage at Origen, they said they would have it ready next day. Went to get it and they looked at me like I was from Mars, the girl that had taken my call never wrote anything down, had to wait for ever to get the tank cold and the semen found, filled me up for free

Most guys I know aren't company loyal on this one. They selct because of the bull, not the company and use several different companies. I am talking about guys picking for their own herds,

PPRM

Am a supporter of ABS and Semex. Love ABS's selection, and Semex's prices :p . ABS really has some terrific bulls, and their varied selection across all breeds can't be beat. Semex is built on the foundation of 4 companies, 2 of which (CIIA and Eastern Breeders) have been excellent providers for decades.

Average nitrogen cost for us through ABS rep. is $160-180/year.

I disagree on ABS. I think their semen quality is excellent, but to me the bulls are all growth and carcass and not enough maternal. Also, why do they have so many bulls with low accuracy numbers?

There is a private company in Great Falls, Mt. called Universal Semen Sales. They offer a lot of bulls and the prices are good. They have been in business since 1975. Their phone number is 800-227-8774. Call and get a catalog if you like. They have bulls you might not find somewhere else. They have 57 Angus bulls pictured in their catalog. They aren't a big company so you get personal attention. There are other breeds as well, of course. Anyway, it is a fun catalog to have around. Someone asked me about VRD and I looked in Universal Seman Sales catalog and there he was with all the info.

I think the reason ABS gets so much business is not because of their bulls, but the infrastructure they have set up thru the country of reps and techs--They have been good for service, anyway in our area...Definitely some far better bull selections with other companies....

I use Gentex. Clarance Schumacher is the best out of Interior. ABS, to me doesn't have new bulls. They have the same thing I have already in our cows..They are a step behind for us.... And they just don't make the effort Clarence does. He calls a spade a spade and I like that......

I select for the bull and not for who owns or leases him. I have used ABS, Accelerated Genetics, Select Sires and Genex. I also order from Angus Semen Service if my local rep does not have the bull I am looking for.
The cost of getting my tank filled has gone up from $20 four years ago to $30 last summer. However, I have it filled when I buy semen free. I have also taken my tank to some sales where the local semen salesman will fill your tank for free just to save him the trip out in the boonies to fill me. The cost of the nitrogen is cheep but the delivery charge is what gets you.
I will try and post some links to various stud services.

http://www.accelgen.com/ Accelerated Genetics
http://www.absglobal.com/ ABS
http://www.agonline.com/angus4u/home.asp Angus semen service

All I can say is the Genex reps-in Canada anyway-are much more witty and better looking than any other company-add that to great bulls-veryyyyyyyy good volume discounting -you got a winner.

Northern Rancher said:
All I can say is the Genex reps-in Canada anyway-are much more witty and better looking than any other company-add that to great bulls-veryyyyyyyy good volume discounting -you got a winner.

NR, Your criteria (wit and looks) would certainly help if the ladies are the ones buying semen. Are you a "Back-Door" semen salesman? LOL

Come on Canadian why no devons lol-all you need is your feet trimeed and yu'd shine right up. First hockey trip your way I'll be stopping in-I missed yu at that meeting because my vet was a bit late .

Northern Rancher said:
Ohh Canadian I think I know my product as good as anybody-haven't met anybody yet who doesn't appreciate humour lol.

MRJ never likes humor :!: :eek:

Just bought Embryos and semen from Royal Flush Genetics they are new company that is just starting up. They have very good selection of angus embryos and can get semen on almost anything if you ask. You can look at there web site at www.royalflushgenetics.com . I was very impressed with service and help with selections. They have alot of Shaffs young bulls listed and also embryos.

I'm with Guest...
Clarence Schumacher is the best... Honest, been there done that kind of cowboy. Genex has alot of differant bulls. ABS (sorry Arron) I don't care as much for. And have to agree with FH. on this one..

I'll apologize in advance for this post....but I can't help myself.........
I find it somewhat amusing that someone named "Jack" would post a topic called "Semen Distributors".
No offense intended to Jack. I'm just a little warped I suppose.(right Mike?) :)
Just popped in the house for supper but I'm headed right back out.
Sorry folks!! :lol:

TimH said:
I'll apologize in advance for this post....but I can't help myself.........
I find it somewhat amusing that someone named "Jack" would post a topic called "Semen Distributors".
No offense intended to Jack. I'm just a little warped I suppose.(right Mike?) :)
Just popped in the house for supper but I'm headed right back out.
Sorry folks!! :lol:

You're a sick boy Jethro. :wink:

And............you don't know JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Latest posts