• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Send Rain!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TWOROPES said:
Its dry as a bone here, hay is scarce, Lots of brush fires, send your unwanted rain, we will use it.

Hey I live in the Big Muddy and it hasn't been muddy for 21 years :!: No such thing as unwanted rain. :cowboy:

I guess I'm just a dang poor nieghbor as I've never let any rain pass by, if I could help it! :lol:

Thats why I always wear a sliker when it rains, I don't want any soaking into me, I want it all to hit the ground! :lol:

As far as I'm concerned you can have my 12 in. of wet snow I got this morning. I live in town and got 9 miles out to the place. usually by this time I'm doing chores but those bosses will have to wait for day light.

We got about 4" here suppose to snow all day this will bring out the tourist on the snowmachine's.

Mickey.......You seldom hear anyone from S.D. complain about too much moisture! :D :D :D

Wish I could send yall all the rain we have been geting uugggggggg But I better not complaign too much come Aug we will be dry as a bone.

We have been blessed for several years in a row here. Even when it gets dry we get enough to get by. We have been very wet for the last couple of months and I would gladly share it I could figure a way.

I have been piling manure as it is to wet to get in the fields. The first three weeks of December was clod here ( highs in the mid 20s F ) but then winter got here and it has been staying in the mid 40s and raining at least a little every day - - - I'm sure the cattle liked the sunny, dry 20s much better and so do I but I know we need the rain. Every pond and stream is full but at least we are not having flooding.

LOL yeap we do get dry as a bone....well I should say we crack. Since our soil is clay when there is a drought it cracks.
Charlotte is in Meckelenburg county which you can see is in the adnormally dry.

http://www.enr.state.nc.us/newsrels/drought1205.pdf

We are starting to come out of our drought which I am sure you know droughts move from east to west. This past summer the lakes around Charlotte were closed to boats due to the water level was lower than the boat ramps. People who live on the lakes couldnt keep thier boats at the dock. The water was not even that close to the shore.

Well we got another inch last night. If the cattle leave the concrete they just sink!

I have sold a lot of large L rock ( about the size of golf balls) to cattle operations in the area that they are putting in any gate ways that cattle have to walk thru as they are sinking in to their bellies.

One of the neighbors lost some good cattle at the feed bunks as they got down in the mud and the others just used them to walk over. If you can't get gravel to the bad spots I am recommending they throw bales of straw in the mud holes - - - not a perminent solution but it will hold up for several weeks.

Just goes to show everyone has problems. 9 months od the year if you came to my operation you would think I went nuts with concrete. Even when you consider my low cost of gravel I still feel the investment in concrete pays off if you need to over winter cattle in this area. Concrete is normally about 10 times the cost of gravel but it sure stays a lot longer.

George, I know what you mean when you talk concrete. We have been thinking hard on investing the $$ for it. After spending a few thousand on just trucks hauling fill dirt in this fall, I'm ready for concrete. It helps we have cement by the bunks. I really would like to put a Monoslope building up but geez that is spendy. Hopefully, we can free up some yards long enough so we could pour. At least you know you aren't the only one battling mud!!!

Mighty dry in NE Texas. The drought monitor shows us worst off of anyone. The experts say we are the driest in 50 years. I know we have springs that haven't run a drop since July that nobody around here ever remembers not running. Haven't had any fires for about 3 weeks, but boy we are ripe for one. Governor has banned fireworks in state this year end. Hope everyone lives by it. Glad I bought hay early. Wished I'd bought a couple more loades.

My husband's employer is an out of state investor that owns this place (which has only recently started to recover for a four or five year drought), a farm in Illinois (which of course was droughted out this year), a farm in northern Texas (which is painfully dry) and a ranch up in northern SD (which was dry for two years and is only starting to recover too).

everyone has been a bit concerned that he might decide to find tax shelters that don't lose *quite* so much money...

If he's banned fireworks, wonder why there's still fireworks stands everwhere? It always worrys me, don't matter whether it's in July or December, I'm just notta big fan of fireworks. Yes they are pretty, ewww ahhhh and all that, but they just aint worth the risk if you ask me.

efb said:
Mighty dry in NE Texas. The drought monitor shows us worst off of anyone. The experts say we are the driest in 50 years. I know we have springs that haven't run a drop since July that nobody around here ever remembers not running. Haven't had any fires for about 3 weeks, but boy we are ripe for one. Governor has banned fireworks in state this year end. Hope everyone lives by it. Glad I bought hay early. Wished I'd bought a couple more loades.

My sister, who has a place on the LLano, called last night and said that they have had no moisture since October...Still have grass yet, but she said it was so dry their cows wouldn't eat it- was feeding some hay-my comment to her was they weren't hungry enough yet...I guess she forgets the 80's up here-lucky there were even fence posts left :wink:

Most people who know me call me a tight wad and I'm proud of it. But I look at the concrete as an investment in healthy cattle.

In some of the outlying pastures where I have feed bunks I let local contractors dump concrete they are removing. Some of these pieces are about 8 foot by 8 foot where they hav torn out a driveway of building floor. I use a bob cat to place them in as close a patern as I can to get a floor then dump mixed bank run gravel over the surface. It works down between the pieces so that the cattle have great year round footing. Much cheaper than pouring concrete in place and while it takes some care to clean later it works really great if you leave about 1" of manure over it.

Yes it gets very muddy here in Dec, Jan and Feb but we can grow 220 bushel corn and 65 bushel soybeans and great hay and pasture the rest of the year so you learn to work around the mud or you will fight it.

Latest posts