• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sept 3 North of 56

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
Snapped a couple of shots with the phone the other day, please excuse the quality.

Sunrise over the ranch:
utf-8BUGVhY2UgUml2ZXIgQi0yMDExMDkwMS0wMDAzMC5qcGc.jpg

Colourful view on the Alaska Hwy coming home from my day job:
utf-8BUGVhY2UgUml2ZXIgQi0yMDExMDgyOS0wMDAyOS5qcGc.jpg

Blonde d'Aquitaine cattle working their magic on their calves:
utf-8BUGVhY2UgUml2ZXIgQi0yMDExMDkwNC0wMDAzMy5qcGc.jpg

burnt said:
Wow, what beautiful color!

Are you getting any frost there yet?

We've had some mornings with one or two degrees of frost, but lately it's been pretty warm at night. Should start getting more frost soon. The narrow valleys we ranch in tend to get much colder overnight than the surrounding areas, in town it hasn't froze yet I understand.
When do you folks expect frost in your part of the world?

Silver said:
burnt said:
Wow, what beautiful color!

Are you getting any frost there yet?

We've had some mornings with one or two degrees of frost, but lately it's been pretty warm at night. Should start getting more frost soon. The narrow valleys we ranch in tend to get much colder overnight than the surrounding areas, in town it hasn't froze yet I understand.
When do you folks expect frost in your part of the world?

Sometimes we get through September without frost, but like everywhere else, it varies. Usually no killing frost until at least October.

This year saw a lot of corn planting get delayed until June because of an extremely wet May, so there are a lot of guys who do not want to see frost before October.

But we had a lot of heat this summer so the late-planted crops have a good chance of making it unless we get hard frost in the next couple of weeks.

We had a very hot, dry early summer but got over 6" of rain since mid-August so the grass is really growing lush and green again. Should give good grazing until into October now if it doesn't freeze too hard.

Country looks good Silver, our leaves haven't turned yet either in spite of the -8's and 9's we've had in the last few days. Meadow foxtail is combining the seeds off as I cut it but the undergrowth and wild hay is still nice and green. Took a few photos today, will add to them tommorow and post a few.

Latest posts