• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

September 19, 2012

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Yellowstone800x530_zps83979b91.jpg

Yellowstone
Movingourcut800x600_zps67448983.jpg

Moving the cut of our cattle to the other side of the highway
Alwaysoneding-a-ling800x600_zps13db5257.jpg

There always seems to be one ding-a-ling
Whoisreluctanttocrossthehighway800x600_zps57ccde60.jpg

Who is reluctant to cooperate
Groundtornupinmysteryfashion800x600_zps8134d5ef.jpg

Ground torn up in mysterious fashion on the JF Ranch
Thegroundisquitedisturbed800x600_zpsdde27b84.jpg

The ground is quite disturbed.
Withmanyoeningsbetweendirtandsod800x600_zps75693de5.jpg

With many openings between dirt and sod
Weareallscratchingourheads800x600_zps423910a1.jpg

We are all scratching our heads about the situation.
Smarterguysthanmearebaffled800x638_zpsbe9ed697.jpg

Smarter guys than me are baffled, and don't know beans about the cause.

The ground looks to be caused by skunks or sandhill cranes looking for grubs we had that same problem a few years back when it was dry.Our's were in hay fields and now are a booming crop of red clover stands.Mother nature at work.

Better hope it ain't hogs, because you'll never get rid of them. That's what they do here, except the tear up acres and acres like that.

There always seems to be one ding-a-ling

ain't it the truth. Can be moving 20 or 100 and usually all will cooperate but one nitwit.

Guess by our age Soap, we ought to be expecting it, but it always makes me shake my head and wonder WHY.

Caused by scunks digging up grubs. Usually happens on side hill with good drainage. I planted 800 lbs of grass seed one year and it came right up- no problem since. You can spray for the grubs IF you can afford to- expensive.

Maybe skunks is the answer. We have a tiny amount of similar activity. The difference may be that our ground is hard gumbo soil that is so dry it's about like concrete!

And there is a real bumper crop of skunks in SD this year. Too bad there isn't a market for them. Around 60% of those tested either in Pierre, or the entire state, the story didn't say, have tested positive for rabies.

We heard about the exciting time law officers in Pierre had a while back when a skunk rumaging in McDonalds' garbage got a cold drink cup stuck on its head and was frantically running in circles on the major hiway nearby. Fearing shooting it for both safety and publicity reasons, they were trying to steer it into more open territory when it fell into a storm sewer. After trying a few things to 'rescue' it, they decided to leave it on its own.

mrj

The first year the prison was open there were a few skunks but then they went elsewhere LOL Now there are back. The other day one got mad at the fence and sprayed it LOLOLOL yeah I laugh now.......you could smell it throughout the entire prison BAD. VP had issues driving through it. seems they are more active this year..........

MsSage said:
The first year the prison was open there were a few skunks but then they went elsewhere LOL Now there are back. The other day one got mad at the fence and sprayed it LOLOLOL yeah I laugh now.......you could smell it throughout the entire prison BAD. VP had issues driving through it. seems they are more active this year..........

It's rather odd to see a skunk during the daytime, so be very careful if
you do. It could be rabid.

Latest posts