• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Severe Pink Eye not responding

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I played phone tag with my Vet, from what I described she said I'm dealing with a ruptured cornea and there isn't much I can do, he will loose his vision. I don't know if anyone has heard of IDEXX labs in the beef community but they are local, I've been drawing blood samples for them ($40 a cow for two cows about twice a week) to test a machine that reads the number of red and whit blood cells. This steer was highly elivated and I considered doing a culture. Now the white blood cell count is down and my vet agrees that a culture isn't needed. If anyone wants to see what this looks like PM me and I'll put a picture up on photobucket.

Before we get into group hugs over breeds it could be the year-we haven't had a pink eye here in years probably more luck than skill. One thing Galloways for sure have is pigment to burn but then the Welsh Blacks do to.

I have only treated one steer this year. We had taken him in to rope. He got pink eye and gave the other ropin' steers pinkeye. I normally do the blib in the eye, but my vet gave me the Tetradure 300 you are suppose to do two shots, but I only did one with 2cc of vit A/D they came right out of it and no harm to the eye. We have tried a couple different things before, sugar was one of them. As a general rule of thumb if you won't put it in your eye, don't put it in your cows!!

2 shots of tetradure? The whole point of that stuff is you only need one shot of it. Stronger and different suspension. My Vet is supposed to get back to me on the cost of it, as it is more then LA-200

Ben the bottle says one dose and I was positive my vet said second dose in 7 days so I called him, he said that he did recommend that but after talking with the sales rep for Tetradure it is only recommended that one dose be given. We had a bull that we roped out in the pasture, he was limping and I wanted to see why. Well he had an abcess on the tip of his hoof(NOT HOOF AND MOUTH). All I had in the truck was this stuff so I gave him a dose of it - just to see I guess- two days later he was running with the heifers again. Now weither or not it had any affect I don't know as this was only one animal. But as for the pinkeye part of it I am sold. It sure beats bringing them home and going thru all of that stuff and still not saving the eye. These steers that I did were all in different stages with ours being the worst and all eyes are ok. One other thing there is a staff infection that presents like pinkeye but is not affected by normal pinkeye treatment. You have to have the culture done to know which is which.

If it is regular pinkeye, the vaccine will help even if they already have it. It doesn't make much sense, but it works. We had a bad outbreak a couple of years ago, and put a bunch in the chute. We gave LA and vaccine to the worst ones, and vaccine to all of them. We ran out of LA before we got them all done, so what was left got vaccine only, even if they had runny eyes. A couple of weeks later, you'd never have know there had been an outbreak. One thing about the vaccine is that it just could save the second eye.

good point on the second eye. I picked up a bottle of Tetradure yesterday from my Vet. I treated two cows. One I treated earlier with pinkeye, I probably could have let her be but it's just as easy to run two through. The other had not been treated, looked like she was fighting it but I decided to be safe and treat her. Stupid me, I forgot once again to get 16ga needles. I think the Tetradure is even thicker then LA-200, try running through an 18ga.
After reading the label I got thinking about the steer. I should have done a culture as soon as I saw it not responding instead of continuing to treat with LA-200. If it was in fact a non-suceptible strand I was seeing then I killed off everything BUT that one.

Yeah, LA and Tetradure are thick drugs.. ACtualy a lot of them are it seems.. 18 guage needle and Tetradure on a cold morning... Great combo...

We use to have calves blind inboth eyes .Used vets blue medicine every thing else.A Dr friend with Grand Labs now Nortivis ? got me on XT 4 pinkey shield. Had a big out break 4 years ago stopped it dead in its tracks.use 2 cc in the muscle and go ahead and give the La 200 also never lose a eye .We also feed ctc 4 grams in the mineral all year long.Have lots of deer and country had antiplas alot.This works we are also really hummid in this country doesn,t help the pinkey problems.Knock on wood no problems on 800 cows and calves and bulls in 4 years.neighbors have lots the last 2-3 years they use somthing else and it doesn,t work.Try it call Nortivis talk to Dr Jim Rhodes.

We use Nortivis Vira-Shield 5 (now 6) to vaccinate all the cows and calves with. We are very satisfied. Not all killed vaccines are created equal and theirs is top of the line. So I can imagine that their pink-eye medicine
would be also.

Where are you located?

I was just reading in the 'Western Producer' today that the most effective way to treat pinkeye is a shot right in the white of the eye. I believe tetracycline or penicillin were two antibiotics recomended, cant remember what else. They also didn't give a dosage, but I would expect one or two cc's at most. They did say not to use mastitis cream because the antibiotic in it doesn't work for pinkeye.

I've talked to the Novartis Territory Manager twice, once back in Apri at the Maine New England Beef Expo then again a few weeks ago at the Maine Farm Days. I knew that Novartis advertises one shot, no booster. He also said that it only vaccinates against, I could be wrong, 4 strands of M. Bovis.

Has anyone tried using the Bio Bullet to vaccinate for pinkeye or anything else?

Silver said:
I was just reading in the 'Western Producer' today that the most effective way to treat pinkeye is a shot right in the white of the eye. I believe tetracycline or penicillin were two antibiotics recomended, cant remember what else. They also didn't give a dosage, but I would expect one or two cc's at most. They did say not to use mastitis cream because the antibiotic in it doesn't work for pinkeye.

1 cc is enough in the eye......We mix pennicilan with lidocaine (Vet tauught me that).The Liocaine stops irritation.....I do try Evaporated milk first to keep calves in a Natural Program..

PPRM

Ben H said:
I've treated a bunch of pink-eye this year, I was considering the vaccine this spring but I was too cheap. Anyway, I've used shots under the eyelid of Penicillin and Dexamethasone with patches on some. There were two calves, who happened to be twins, that I brought into our old tie stall barn. They both got it in both eyes. The twin girl (freemartin) is the first one to get pink eye and is finally starting to look better, her brother has been getting the same treatment and only gotten worse. I've also been giving SQ injections of LA-200. The steer I'm concerened with has heavy swelling in the eye, I'll be suprised if he doesn't loose his sight, not sure what else I can do for him. He's not tearing up much anymore, a little discharge, but the eye itself looks terrible. I'm open to further suggestion.
Personaly use Liquamisine LA-seems to work.But my old man used to keep a can of copenhgen in barn for that purpose???

Hey cowsense if your out Calgary way stop and see my Horned Hereford bull-I guess he's looking pretty good after a summer at the semen farm lol. I garantee things won't be quite as easy around my place lol.

Latest posts