• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Shaping up to be another dry, dusty, windy day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Reaction score
:mad: Man, we sure could use some rain!!! Yesterday was hotter than h*ll, with a horrible wind. Today will be a repeat of that. Last night, all you could see was dust blowing up in the air everywhere. It's too bad the neighbour hasn't started seeding yet, cause it always rains when he does start. It sure would help out the rest of us around here.

Shelly said:
:mad: Man, we sure could use some rain!!! Yesterday was hotter than h*ll, with a horrible wind. Today will be a repeat of that. Last night, all you could see was dust blowing up in the air everywhere. It's too bad the neighbour hasn't started seeding yet, cause it always rains when he does start. It sure would help out the rest of us around here.
Shelly....you guys are in the same position we are. No moisture at all since snow left,the dang winds are horrible and LOTS of crops not seeded and WON"T be seeded unless we get moisture. The pasture lands are fading fast.Animals are still being fed here,and there is at the moment no hay crop at all...... :cry: :cry:

I'm so sorry for you guys. Been there too many times myself.

This country is always 3 days away from a drought.
We got .25 inches of rain last night and we needed it.

We have the wind, the wind, the wind as well.

But the guys in ND are the ones who have really been beat up,
both with the bad winter then all the flooding. I heard 100,000
head of cattle have been lost.

I've not been in many (any big ones anyway) floods and I do think
they are worse than drought.

I'll take a flood any day-there's usually a hay crop somewhere if it floods at least in our country. We've had about an inch of rain all spring but it's been really too cold to grow much grass-kind of glad we cut back on cows and had some carryover to go onto.

Any cattle around here on pasture are starting to look a little skanky. I noticed the bottom limbs on the trees are starting to lose their leaves. Best friend is still feeding most of his cows at home, and he's getting worried. Feed pile is going down fast, and it's looking like there won't be much hay to bale to build it back up. He's got some pairs in our pasture, they're on a piece that didn't get grazed last year. Those are his lucky cows.
Clouds are blowing past today, but I don't think they'll give us anything.
Husband is real hard to get along with these days, he's worried about his crops.
Oh, and tonight it's supposed to freeze! :mad: It is June, isn't it??? Not supposed to freeze in June!

Shelly said:
Any cattle around here on pasture are starting to look a little skanky. I noticed the bottom limbs on the trees are starting to lose their leaves. Best friend is still feeding most of his cows at home, and he's getting worried. Feed pile is going down fast, and it's looking like there won't be much hay to bale to build it back up. He's got some pairs in our pasture, they're on a piece that didn't get grazed last year. Those are his lucky cows.
Clouds are blowing past today, but I don't think they'll give us anything.
Husband is real hard to get along with these days, he's worried about his crops.
Oh, and tonight it's supposed to freeze! :mad: It is June, isn't it??? Not supposed to freeze in June!
Well it's not suppose to but it did,minus 2 here!! I talked to a guy this morning,and he had ice on his water trough this morning and his canola was coming really nice.I think if i would have mentioned to him cold beer and going fishing today,he would have said yes.Might not have got any fishing done,but sure would have got drunk.

Froze at the north place last night too...Got down to 27.... :shock:

While much of Montana is still below normal in moisture- so far we're in the center of about a 10 county area that is listed at 200% of normal for the year.... :)
Now if we get just get normal June rains- and a July thunderstorm or two without the white reaper-- we could be looking good...

Greg & I went for a walk about this eve,moved some horses around....haylands in REALLY bad shape,pretty yellow out there....DANG... :cry:

Mrs.Greg said:
Greg & I went for a walk about this eve,moved some horses around....haylands in REALLY bad shape,pretty yellow out there....DANG... :cry:
I know i got a couple of hayfields right by my pasture,that the cows are going to start grazing off tomorrow,and hope WE get a rain yet and MAYBE be able to get a late cut of hay if it ever rains!! I noticed the hills in the hayfields have turned brown already,so may as well pasture the hollows while they are still green.

3words said:
Mrs.Greg said:
I know i got a couple of hayfields right by my pasture,that the cows are going to start grazing off tomorrow,and hope WE get a rain yet and MAYBE be able to get a late cut of hay if it ever rains!! I noticed the hills in the hayfields have turned brown already,so may as well pasture the hollows while they are still green.
I talked to a guy in town today,he said LOTS are getting rid of thier cattle.He was hoping to lighten the cattle herd because he literally has run out of feed. He said the auction mart he talked to{I'm assuming Stettler} said they're NOT accepting any cow-calf pairs....WAY too many cattle being sold because of lack of feed and pasture lands in real bad shape.... :(

sounds like we have stolen Alberta's rain...we have had showers here everyday for over a week, and we NEVER get rain! We're heading up in 3 weeks, I'll bring some with if there's anything left over!!

Well we can always use a rain, but we're in pretty good shape. I sure feel for those in a drought...been there, done that! We'll be praying for you all!

Been raining off and on here for a couple weeks,on day three off continuous rain,pouring,looks like well be in good shape.Was starting to turn brown around here before.Good luck you guys!!

Blkbuckaroo said:
Been raining off and on here for a couple weeks,on day three off continuous rain,pouring,looks like well be in good shape.Was starting to turn brown around here before.Good luck you guys!!

The weather boys are saying your system is supposed to start moving north- and when it runs into the cold air now moving down from Canada- it could produce a wet weekend for us with likely chances of a good rain- rain/snow event...

I hope it gets those folks in Canada like Mrs. Greg soaked...

Rain finally hit the TX hill country,been quite awhile since I have seen this country in this shape..................good luck

Latest posts