• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Share Cows

Help Support Ranchers.net:

xhangn7

Reaction score
I am looking at taking some pairs in on shares this spring 50/50 split for this year then going to a 65/35. What do you think?

Lots of good ranchers started this way. Its not a bad thing to not have a big payment to a bank. Probably better if you can afford to buy them yourself, but with these prices, a share deal might be best or at least less risk for you.

I have bought as many as I can right now. But I still have pasture for 100 head and think I can make more on a share deal rather than just bring in summer cows.

How does a rent deal work?

Thanks for the input any more is appreciated.

xhangn7 said:
I have bought as many as I can right now. But I still have pasture for 100 head and think I can make more on a share deal rather than just bring in summer cows.

How does a rent deal work?

Thanks for the input any more is appreciated.

Well hell ya, go for it---cows will be cheaper again, if you want to own them, buy them then.

Now---typically, one 'settles up' in the fall. And that's what works the best. If you get half for running till then, it's a bird nest on the ground.

I've been on both sides and done it several ways. Here's how one guy puts them out:

Replacements are 3 or older.

'Settling up' is done in cash, everything is 'sold'--- If you want the heifers, buy 'em after it's sorted out.

Share is figured on 95% calf crop. If it's better than that, the operator gets a bonus, less he digs in his pocket.

Cows are running age, owner provides bulls.

2% mortality accepted on the cows yrly---operator resp for loss over that.

70/30 split.

If arbitration needed, owner picks a guy, operator picks a guy, them two guys pick a guy, them 3 sort it out.

I like shares better than rent, on rent deals I did, it was about 30% of calf value---estimated---been a long time, about $150 then.

Latest posts