• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Share or lease cattle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

My suggestion would be to take in the cattle on a cash basis, getting paid monthly with the money to be paid at the first of each month for the month following. This way, either party can get out in a timely fashion if things don't work out.

After having done it about every way there is, I would have to agree with Soapweed.

You can even tie the rate charged into what calves brought this year or what you think they are going to be worth next year.

The best deal is the one that works good for both parties concerned.

I agree with Soapweed except that I would recomend a written contract specifying time frame and who furnishes what such as salt medicine labor for branding gathering shipping etc. Heads off a lot of trouble before you start. Good Luck

a straight ahead cash lease usually works better than shares and trust me get it all in writing-more friendships have been ruined over share cows than adultry.

We lease cows on a cash rent basis. Pay when we sell the calves. we have a good contract in that everything is covered, no gray areas.

After dozens of arrangements,paying cash on a yearly deal was by far the worst for the owner of the cattle.If you have a honest renter fine but know them well! A share contract with a reasonable share for the caretaker worked best for us.Gives the renter an incentive to do his best.

I intend to run a few ads and see what happens, the Green Sheet out of Aberdeen, SD had a few last week, so will wait and see. Like to get it done soon as possible.

In the event you are trying to fill pasture did you consider just taking in 150 cows? That way it's constant cash flow in the event you have the owner pay monthly or you can do a half due when they come in and the other half when they leave.

I am currently looking for 60-70 head of custom cattle per day or %... And possible to up my number in future if everything goes good.. Also I might be interested in leased cattle..

Latest posts