• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Shaver Post Pounder

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ben H

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting the Shaver HD-8 or HD-10 pounder with manual adjust. They seem like a decent rig for the price. Does anyone have the 8? Is it really powerfull enough, it's about another $1000 for the 10, $1000 I don't really want to spend.

Ben;

If you are going to buy a Shaver post driver spend the extra and get the 10. Mount the driver on the front of your tractor, don't waste your time with a three point attached driver.

rross

the tractor I planned to use has a loader, I wanted to avoid taking it off. Maybe I can get something that will mount to my 640 loader, or would I be better with the 3 point or the hassle of taking the loader off?

The problem with a three point mounted driver is you can't maximize the force of your driver. The three point not being ridgid allows the driver to give upon impact. Plus you are always looking over your shoulder trying to line it up on the post. I have never operated a driver mounted on a front-end loader.

Mine is front mounted on an old Allis-Chalmers D-15 tractor. It has a 4-speed transmission, with a 2-speed Hi-Lo shift. The 2-speed Hi-Lo clutch runs in oil. In the 25 years I've used the tractor to drive thousands of posts, I have never replaced a clutch.

I guess I need to hurry up and get my Allis going, it's been in the garage for a few years with the rear end locked up. It's a WD-45.

Latest posts