• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Short story

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cert

Reaction score
I was told to share this in the coffee shop so here it goes.

The last several years we would get flooded in the spring and again in the fall.
Bought a bull and a heifer out of Bowman N.D. a couple years ago. That bull wasn't sure how to handle the flood water we brought him home to. Been pretty dry up there for several years I guess and that bull was amazed and almost afraid of the creek. He would not cross it for almost a month. We had to push the herd across to him...then he finally crossed back with them. It was quite funny.

He still stands in the little stream and watches the water flow over his hooves moving his head back and forth.

However, he has adapted quite well to the over abundance of red and ladino clover. Sure glad we don't have too much fescue...might have burnt him up.

My dad used to raise registered Herefords, and had a bull sale every fall. One time there had been quite a few bulls that spent the winter in a pasture, and they would come into a smaller lot by the buildings to get grain twice a day. When green grass came that spring, we just opened a gate into an adjoining pasture. All of the bulls went through but one, and he was scared of the green grass. He had never been around any electric fence, so it wasn't "fear" of an invisible wire that worried him, it was just that the bright green grass on the other side of the gate had him spooked. We finally had to put him in the corral and load him up in a horse trailer, then haul him around to where the other bulls were. We found some bare ground near an old salt bunk location to unload him out of the trailer.

And then some of you wonder why I am a bit down on Herefords. :? :???: :wink: :)

When we had Herefords, we had to cross the highway with them once a year. At one time we absolutely could not get them to go across. They got to the yellow line and spooked themselves back the way they came. My husband roped a couple of calves and took them across. Their mommas walked across and picked them up, brought them BACK across and refused to cross again. We spent a long time trying to get them to go across the asphalt. We wound up actually having to trail them back to the house (not far) and load them up and HAUL them across the road. Good thing there weren't very many...

We don't have Herefords anymore either. :wink:

You could come to Oregon and get some "smart" Herefords :p :) As you can see they're not scared of much :wink:

There were quite a batch of them that went through the sale barn this morning. If there had been any kind of a vote on any issue there, the "eyes" would have carried it. That is sure a big downfall with them. :shock: :wink:

Faster Horses,

We buy from Mrnak's. They are the best folk I have ever met. They treat you like family even when you are a perfect stranger.

We trust them enough to buy sight unseen out of their sale in Feb.
They know what we like and the guarentee it for us.

Great people.

Soapweed said:
And then some of you wonder why I am a bit down on Herefords. :? :???: :wink: :)

Hey Soap, I think I'd much rather have cattle that need the occasional "push" than cattle that will run from you or run you down.

cert said:
Soapweed said:

Hey Soap, I think I'd much rather have cattle that need the occasional "push" than cattle that will run from you or run you down.

Cert, I agree 100% with you on that. There are wild and wooly ones in every breed. Even the Bowring Ranch, which has since been donated to the Game and Parks, has always run straight Herefords. Back when my dad was a kid, the Bowring Herefords weren't very gentle. The ranch was nicknamed, "The Rope and Drag Outfit" by the neighbors. Of course, the way the ranch cowboys treated the cattle was why they were so wild. That ranch still maintains a "token" herd of Herefords, which are now gentle because the cattle are handled with care.

cert, I have heard nothing but great things about Mrnaks. Besides being good people, their cattle are good too. They have a fine reputation.

On the subject of wild, we bought Hereford bulls from a breeder in Kaycee, Wyoming many, many years ago. Those bulls were terrible dispositioned. And so were the heifers. They'd sure come after you, horseback or otherwise. So not all Herefords are gentle Herefords. Just like not all Angus are mean Angus.

Latest posts