• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Shorthorn cross what for a show calf?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
Well, since the new SEMEX catalogue came out, Im deciding on what to AI all of my cows to. I need something fancy enough to show, yet somehing with guts, and good maternal instinct. I am crossing al of my cattle this year cause the CAA screwed me over big time.

Predicament 1-My new shorthorn heifer. Bull choices(all club calves): Manchild (HANNIBAL/Purebred Shorthorn)http://www.onlinebullstud.com/Composite/ManChild.html , CherryBomb (Heatwave/Cuina)http://www.onlinebullstud.com/Composite/Cherry%20Bomb.html, and Doctor Who (Who Made Who/WitchDoktorxAngus). http://www.onlinebullstud.com/Composite/whomadewho.html (who made who)

Predicament Two. A 7078 VRD Daughter that needs an improved udder and more milk. L Bull Choices: Little Cedar Aviator (shorthorn), HH Latitude (Polled Hereford) and JRI Heavy Equipment (Glebvieh)

Three: Angus female, will be herthird calf: has good milk, needs LOTS more frame and Muscle. BUll choices: Need advice lol.

Thanks, and I saved up my pay for the last while so Im spending the $40/straw now lol.

Well Angus, I can't offer any advice but your gonna be in a heap o trouble mister. I was looking through the bulls (which I would never have been looking at if you had'nt posted :p ) and the two that really caught my eye were LC Suspect 0109 P ET ( GASP, Horrors a CHAR!!!!) and the shorthorn bull Notorious. OMG are they ever the wrong color but man do I like what I see! I will have to stick with the horses!, my very rookie eye keeps pointing me at Chars, even though everything I have been taught here say once you go black, you'll never go back!!!! (I hang my head in shame LOL

Judith said:
Well Angus, I can't offer any advice but your gonna be in a heap o trouble mister. I was looking through the bulls (which I would never have been looking at if you had'nt posted :p ) and the two that really caught my eye were LC Suspect 0109 P ET ( GASP, Horrors a CHAR!!!!) and the shorthorn bull Notorious. OMG are they ever the wrong color but man do I like what I see! I will have to stick with the horses!, my very rookie eye keeps pointing me at Chars, even though everything I have been taught here say once you go black, you'll never go back!!!! (I hang my head in shame LOL
Judith, it is once you go black, you look for a Hereford to put on them!

Judith, it is true, once you go black you can't go back, wait, it's not true!! It is hopefully the best decision I have ever made, my blacks have caused me greif, and the Angus ass'n isn't helping much either. lol. Go to a Shortie and stick with it lol

I thought about KOOL, but he is PHA and TH (I think that is what it is called) positive, and I don't want that in any part of my herd.

I thought about KOOL, but he is PHA and TH (I think that is what it is called) positive, and I don't want that in any part of my herd.

On your #1 shorthorn hfrMaybe an angus bull like Midland.
On #2 how about Marriott or 6807. Also angus.
On #3 without knowing her breeding it would be hard to guess. But sticking with a theme it would be ANGUS.
Good luck with what you decide.

#3 Is a Da Es Ro Twister granddaughter.

Im trying to get away from angus genetics, because an angus steer isnt going to take a show over here.

On the angus hfr I might try Krugerrand. If you aren't worried about color to much maybe cross her to a char or possibly a red angus.

Angus Guy,
You did not say Char on your last post did you SHOCK :shock: ( Insert missle noises here) :) Go wash your mouth out with soap :) Bad boy !!! LOL

Well someone had to get someone excited. I see it worked. :wink: Actually the red angus is my first choice after angus. I did cross some cows to the neighbors char bull once great calves but real loons.

Angus Cattle Shower, in case I missed it, exactly what is your intentions? Are you wanting to breed for show steers exclusively or are you going to want to keep the heifers?

Do you want a certain cross say Angus x Shorthorn or are you open for any cross that might give you a good Steer or Heifer?

Are all these breeds on the table for you to choose?

Simmental
Hereford
Shorthorn
Chi
Maine
Composites

If you are going to keep some heifers I like the bulls that have a strong Simmental % in them. Good steer potential and good females for future steer producers.

I must also warn against the possibility of some serious calving difficulties when using club calf bulls on your Angus.

Let me know what direction you are wanting to go and I will give you some of my picks of bulls.

I'm not sure what the judges look for in the shows you enter, Angus, but if you want some good purebred Shorthorn genetics, try these guys:

http://saskvalleyshorthorns.com/semen.html

Ultra is a proven bull who has cranked out many show winners. Clyde's a little flashier, but I don't think he's as good as Ultra.

Rod

I don't know enough about breeding show cattle to advise you on anything, but I do know I'd be really careful about breeding any Hereford to a first calf heifer........

I just kept having flash-backs to Sweet Thang last year........and losing her and the calf, just because that derned ole Hereford bull was feeling frisky..... :shock: ....and all the calves we had to pull (some successfully, most not) while we were at Encino.... :shock: ...same deal, Hereford bull got in with the heifers and it was a disaster. :roll:

Hope everything works out, and you get some really great show stock! :D

aplusmnt, I need show styeers, but if I get a heifer, im going to try and retain it and I need it to be a good momma and throw me some show calves.

I have a 7/8 angus 1/8 hereford cow, that I got for christmas a few years ago, this will be her second calf this year, would a composite (clubby bull) be ok for her?

I need to know of some good bulls with reasonably priced semen. I like Chi, but not fullbloods. we have a chi angus cow and she throws a good calf each and every year, but the straight chi cow is a nutcase.

Diamond S,

Im going to try and cross everything I have in hopes of having one great steer calf.

Ranchy, it may have been the bull, we used to use hereford extensively, till we go some angus blood, then they all turned balck :D

If it is her second calf she might have some troubles with a real cluby bull, depends on which one you use ACS. The vets around here say they get more troubles with 3year old cows needing help than 2 year olds because people aren't paying attention to the bulls as much when it coems to birthweight and those cows still aren't done growing when they have that second calf.

If this wil be her third calf you are breeding fro than the only caveat I have is crap happens. My neighbors had a steer out of a Simmi named Picasso a couple years back that tipped the scaels at over 120 pounds... They figured it was 140 but I know I tend to exaggerate sometimes when something is bigger than excpected so I wll go with 120. .. Won't tell you what bull to use because that is not my cup of tea but on an older animal I wouldn't worry to much (As long as youhaven't had any calving problems with her to being with)..

Look up Einmoor Shorthorns, They are in Canada. Last year we purchased a registered Shorthorn bull to use on some hiefers. CF Trump on the paternal side and Einmoor genetics on the maternal side. He took 2nd in his class at the 2005 Minnesota State Fair. We will have calves out of him in April.

Angus Cattle Shower said:
aplusmnt, I need show styeers, but if I get a heifer, im going to try and retain it and I need it to be a good momma and throw me some show calves.

I have a 7/8 angus 1/8 hereford cow, that I got for christmas a few years ago, this will be her second calf this year, would a composite (clubby bull) be ok for her?

I need to know of some good bulls with reasonably priced semen. I like Chi, but not fullbloods. we have a chi angus cow and she throws a good calf each and every year, but the straight chi cow is a nutcase.

Diamond S,

Im going to try and cross everything I have in hopes of having one great steer calf.

Ranchy, it may have been the bull, we used to use hereford extensively, till we go some angus blood, then they all turned balck :D

When you mess with club calf bulls you never know how it will turn out. Some are known as Cow Killers (not heifers Cows) it is more about the shoulders and Butts than the weight. So just remember you are messing with fire.

Good steers start with good cows. No matter how good a bull is if you do not have the quality Cow to produce a show-able steer then you might not ever get a good one.

That being said. Friction is a hot one for steers, Godfather is a good one. I have seen some very nice Steers and Heifers out of Doctor Who lately. I like Paddy O'Malley and Cerveza also. Ali kicks out some nice calves and is an easy calving bull for Maine Breed. I used him on an Angus heifer and had no problem calving. Not that up on the Short Horn, but I do like Sin City and believe he is TH Free. Of course HeatWave is the hottest out there but semen is getting more expensive I think and you could have some calving problems with him.

Piccaso is good if you have deep sided cow to work with (but as Il Rnacher mentioned they might come big) Kadabra is an excellent bull but if you want a good steer you need to have a Thick built, stout cow in my opinion.

Latest posts