• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Shorthorn Question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RenFarms

Reaction score
So, I see there are a few shorthorn breeders here. Do any of you know the difference between the Whitebred shorthorns of the UK as compared to a white shorthorn of the USA? I have been interested for sometime in AI'ing a few of our black Galloways to the Whitebred shorthorn to produce the Blue Gray. But I am not convinced the US's shorthorn is the same as the Whitebred shorthorn. Anyway, I did contact one breeder a couple of years ago and he indeed had semen from an all white shorthorn bull... probably 'about a frame 7 bull' he said. No thanks. My inquiries to the UK for exportable semen have netted no results.

Are there many shorthorn breeders around that haven't bred them up with continentals to get the bigger frame and bone (and show points)?

Yes there are some Shorthorn breeders around who have stuck a little closer to the original Shorthorn bloodlines. Saskvalley Stock Farms is one of these breeders ( www.saskvalleyshorthorns.com ). Their Shorthorns are a little framier than the old fashioned Shorthorns of the 50s and 60s, but not excessively so. In this years sale they had a couple frame 5 bulls that were really meaty little bulls. They`ve currently got a not bad white Shorthorn bull there that you may be able to talk them out of :)

As far as the difference between a UK Whitebred Shorthorn and a white American Shorthorn, I can't see any difference at all, except the UK stuff looks a little more pencil gutted than I'd like to see.

Whitebred Shorthorns do have a website: www.whitebredshorthorns.com which you`ve probably already seen. Thats as about a complete history as I`ve ever seen on the breed.

Do me a favor and let me know how you make out. I`m currently breeding my Shorthorns to Welsh Black bulls to see what comes out the other side.

Rod

I just got rid of an all white registered shorthorn bull as he was getting too big. I have two all white cows and 2 all white hiefers out of him and we have 20 more calves to go this year. IMO the white shorthorns are different from the whitebred shorthorns as the whitebreds were line bred enough generations to make them a seperate breed. This year I am using a red CF Trump son that throws mostly red calves. In 09 I am going to use a Red Angus bull.

hey ren check with kieth lauer there in abilene he has a very good old herd of doable cattle and might be able to point you in the right direction. He knows his shorthorns.

Looking for "show points"?

Nah, we don't show. Except daughter does 4H steer every year.

The blue gray is a good-doing sort that keeps the broader grazing preferences of the Galloway and adds a bit more milk. But mostly I just like the looks of them. :) I guess I'm pretty much a non-conformist. I like what I like, as long as she does her job every year. I Just don't get hung up on what other folks like and dislike.

RenFarms said:
Looking for "show points"?

Nah, we don't show. Except daughter does 4H steer every year.

The blue gray is a good-doing sort that keeps the broader grazing preferences of the Galloway and adds a bit more milk. But mostly I just like the looks of them. :) I guess I'm pretty much a non-conformist. I like what I like, as long as she does her job every year. I Just don't get hung up on what other folks like and dislike.

I'm with you...or I wouldn't be raising these big eared, multi colored, care-free cattle. Got to go see if I have any new calves this morning!!! :D

I'd like to second Shorthorn's opinion. If you want to check with a reputable breeder I doubt you could go wrong with Keith Lauer's advice. I would add that you should research carefully any animal that will be impacting the future performance and "do-ability" of your cows. There is nothing prettier than blue roans, so you just as well have good ones! :D Some within breed lines of cattle just seem to require more than their fair share of feed to look good.

Thanks for the tip Shorthorn and RedBulls2. Is the Lauer herd in Abilene KS, or TX? He might be a good person to discuss the Whitebred vs Shorthorn question with. Does he have a website? Oh well, I can google for that.

You may want to check into a bull called wolf ridge samson. I used him a few years and got a couple hundred nice calves. Smaller framed but very thick. Sent him allthe way back to Maryland when I was done. Raymond Ediger, Green spring Farms. He collected him and had about 500 units available. Has a web site. Solid white bull ,and the heifers I kept are great cows.

If anyone knows of any TPS Coronet Leader 21 semen, I would sure like a couple units! Our website "www.yydurhamcattle.com" has an article from the 1960's that was written by Harold Thieman (Thieman Polled Shorthorns) one of the all time great breeders. A lot of what he says is still very relevent today.

I would like to add that I would be interested in semen from old beef type moderate framed Shorthorn bulls. Preferably red, can be either horned or polled.

Renfarms, I have seen pictures of the bull that Shane Moe had as well as some of his calves. He would be an excellent choice for what you want.

Good Luck

Don't forget that Tim Ohlde has shorthorns. They have several white heifers don't know what they got for calves last fall and this spring yet. He has shorthorns that are built alot like his angus. Moderate framed and meaty!

Latest posts