• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Should I?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
I've been looking for a show heifer for next year, but I was thinking of getting a hereford. I saw an ad in the producer for a cow/calf pair with the cow bred back. It is from a Reputation breeder not too far from here, and I was thinkng that they would realy improve my commercial herd, What does everyone think?

Most of Dad's animals are red white faced and we've never had aproblem. What kind of problems are you talking about, just out of curiosity, and yes I like work. lol.

:p I'm just asking cause there were some people asking me if I woudl buy and show some of their stock-I gues I already have a name otu for myself. lol. There are two angus breeders, and a Shorthorn breeder. I like the Shorthorns, and the Angus, but was wondering what everyone thought about hereford.
Life may be an adventure-fun and exciting-but having to pull a dead calf is neither. lol. I am speaking from experiance. lol.

We had Herefords for years back when I was a kid and all I remember are prolapes, cancer eye, turnip tits and bad feet. It seemed that if a Hereford calf had any difficulty coming into the world it would just as soon die. There is work and then there is unnecessary work. We switched to Black Angus before it was all the rage and never regreted it for a minute.

Listen to your sensai ACS the best beef critter walkin' is a black baldy-every vet hates thenm-no business for him-A good Hereford still better than a sorry Angus lol.

There is nothing wrong with a black baldy, especially the the mama hereford has alot of pigment around her eyes and bag. When it snows those white bags sunburn badly, and one has to doctor them. A black crossed with a shorthorn will sometimes present you with a blue roan. Nice cattle, but can have a little too much milk. Pick out the breed you like and want to work on.

Herefords are hard to fit. You have to use bluing on the white and the faults of the calf show up more clearly on a red calf. Hereford red usually has a few different shades through it especially where they lay on their leg which is hard to hide anything in. If you drag a hereford you better have a good one to be competative.

I have to have a good one to compete anywhere, in any class. I won't bring an animal that is underfed, or just a plain ugly critter to show. If im going to buy an animal, it will be good quality. lol.

What would be wrong with too much milk? lol. Im a little young so forgive me for my stupid questions. lol.

ACS: If the Hereford is a good one and you can afford it go for it......you'll learn to appreciate the good sides of the breed. As for the naysayers that love to run Herefords down, perhaps it's time to take another look at the breed; alot of the undesirable traits have been bred out by responsible breeders. While we've got lots of Angus and Angus cross cows in our herd I'll still take a Hereford cow as my first choice......they are as trouble free as anything else we have and are a far sight more pleasureable to work with!!! This applies in spades when it comes to handling BULLS..........I'm getting sour on Angus and exotic bulls.......tend to rip fences and themselves up while the Herfs are busy breeding. Good luck and if I can help you with pedigrees or advice just give a shout!

ACS, if you want to try Hereford then try it. If it doesn't work then sell them. My son shows Herefords and likes the challenge in fitting them. He says the harder to fit, the more you learn. He also likes the fact that they're calmer as a rule. Show/raise what you want, it makes fairs/work more enjoyable. Good luck no matter what you decide.

All I know is those @$%%$^ Adamson's are tough to beat in 4H with their RWF calves lol. Ty actually won District cow/calf with a Hereford sired baldy cow-it's funny he's got a set of pretty good baldies raised up while Megan seems to be getting more straight reds-just the way their cows are throwing heifers-not really planned. Our Brangus bucker had a sweet Baldy bull calf tonight-it's cherries will be staying in the bag for sure.

You know we raise Herefords and I guess if you know what you are doing then you can weed out the bad ones and breed for the good traits. We haven't had a prolaspe in 3 yrs. and we are very strict on the bags. We also select for pigment while keeping and amazing ease of flesh in our herd. Don't believe me come look!! I also showed in 4H and my c/c pairs and steers where always as white as snow. Don't let any one person sway you. You do what you want, as far as I'm conserned it takes a Hereford to get a baldy and no one can argue that that is the hottest thing on 4 legs!! I'm for Herefords.

Latest posts