• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Shrink

Help Support Ranchers.net:

It would be up there. Where we go they weigh off truck then take a pencil shrink depending on how far they have been trucked. At 140 miles we get 1% taken off the scale weight on calves.

Shrink on bawling 6 weight steers, after a snow storm, and standing in a sale barn for 6 hours ? 5%, 10 %
Shrink has a lot of factors. How fat and full the calves are, how long is the ride to the barn, do they have hay and water pens or are they dry pens?

Shrink on bawling 6 weight steers, after a snow storm, and standing in a sale barn for 6 hours ? 5%, 10 %
A normal shrink could be 1-5% which is usually just the emptying of the digestive tract. 8% and over is dehydration and actual tissue loss. My experience had been on an average 36 hour haul from western Canada to Ontario was around 5% + on calves, less on yearlings. A lot of money has been made (and left on the table) on shrink. Hope your story turns out well VB.

I was watching the sale at my local barn on cattle usa. Just got to wondering, as we had got quite a bit of snow. I know that shrink happens

Latest posts